Railroads

I'd love to start a new category having to do with railroads. Any ideas?

Sure!

RR stations -- with variables for active and inactive -- lots of old stations around that have been recycled.

RR museums -- my uncle worked at one of these in Sacramento

Restored Trains -- lots of these around, too. A facility in Claremont, NH, where I lived was restoring the Yankee Flyer.

Scenic RR Tours -- Not regular transportation routes, but strictly tourist rides. I remember riding one down on Cape Cod which served dinner. The Edaville RR had a Christmas theme, and there are some up in the Lakes Region of NH. I suspect there are a lot of these around the U.S. and other countries.

RR Trestles/Tunnels/Bridges -- might be a hard category

Obviously a lot of overlap there, so some thought would have to be given to how one structures the potential categories.

There is already a category "Railway Roundhouse" that may be looking for help forming a management group.

Scenic RR Tours -- Not regular transportation routes, but strictly tourist rides. I remember riding one down on Cape Cod which served dinner. The Edaville RR had a Christmas theme, and there are some up in the Lakes Region of NH. I suspect there are a lot of these around the U.S. and other countries.

Yes, that is a good one. There are 3 in Arizona that are quite worthwhile. One goes to the Grand Canyon, another through a canyon that has great wildlife views. Then there is the one for Silverton in SW Colorado that is a good one.

In fact, if you dont want to do this one, I may take it up.

I'd love to start a new category having to do with railroads. Any ideas?

Sure!

I have been planning on forming a group for this for the last two weeks but haven't been able to (New baby 13 days old).

If no one else wants to start this group I would like to go for it but seeing I am sticking my nose in after it has been mentioned here I will defer to rescue557 if they want to form the group. Let me know.

I mentioned the idea of railroad cars in another thread... though not on permanent display... the idea would be to more track where railroad cars are and where they have been... not a static location waymark...

I don't think Jeremy wants me to start this one however, apparantly they are adding tech for the functionality of moving waymarks at some point in the distant future.

Go to Waymarking page.

Click on my page.

Click on (the right) my groups.

Click on create new group.

Fill it out, turn on enrollment, post link here and issue invites to those who want to sign up. The name of your group cant be changed, so think carefully what to call it first.

What are you going to focus on as a category?

Lots of ideas for Railroad related waymarks. I'd like one for Scenic Railroad Tours. Waymark location should be the originating station. I remember Jeremy stating in one of the threads that there could be a way of dealing with multiple waymarks (say for end-to-end railroad tours such as through Copper Canyon in Mexico).

Does Waymarking.com support a variable number of locations for a waymark (like the waypoint feature on gc.com)? Again, thinking of the Copper Canyon tour, there are stops along the route where you can hop off until the next train. (I will do that ride some day) :rolleyes:

I'd like one for Scenic Railroad Tours.

I will be forming a Scenic Railroad, Or Tourist Railroad Group. Hopefully by the first part of the week.

I will post the link and open enrollment invite in a seperate thread.

This one will be lots of fun.

Any ideas for a group name?