Evil Cache Hides.

Thumbtacks aside, evil cache hides.......I have been to a number of evil cache hides. I understand that in urban areas, the challenge needs to be increased to keep muggles from finding the cache. But lets all remember the reason for hiding a cache is for the geocacher to find it. Creatively hiding a cache is good. Hiding it so only one out of every ten cachers can find it (don't go by the DNF logs, most cachers don't admit to all of their DNFs) does not make a fun geocaching experience. A rock in a gravel pit....not a fun time. I get it....a rock....a bunch of gravel.....lets make them have to search in a 40ft circle overturning every rock there.....fun was had by all.

Remember, it is the muggles you are hiding it from. Fellow geocachers should be able to find the cache using their gps, deductive skills, and creative hints from the cache page but they shouldn't have to tear the place apart or overturn every stone to score a find. The harder it is to find, the more destructive the search is on the area. A thumbtack can't compare to a cacher scorned.

My oh-so-evil idea:

You bury a pvc pipe under the ground (100-200 ft), and run a string through it. Tie one end of the string to a tree or pole where the coordinates lead to. Tie the other end to a bell hung next to the actual cache.

Not sure if that violates any "leave no trace" guideline.

I saw one awhile back, where The cache was suspended high in a tree by fishing line. Once you tried to climb the tree, you saw the fishing line leading down to the ground that let you lower it down... hehehe

My oh-so-evil idea:

You bury a pvc pipe under the ground (100-200 ft), and run a string through it. Tie one end of the string to a tree or pole where the coordinates lead to. Tie the other end to a bell hung next to the actual cache.

I saw one awhile back, where The cache was suspended high in a tree by fishing line. Once you tried to climb the tree, you saw the fishing line leading down to the ground that let you lower it down... hehehe

Other than the "use no pointy object to place a cache" rule, I like it.

DAryl

It's been my experience that when you introduce a new concept to some people, they will become sarcastic as a defense because they're embarrassed that they didn't know.

So..... you're welcome.

no actually I felt the whole thumbtack thing is utterly ridiculous <_<

seriously, a thumbtack killing a tree is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard

embarrased? by you and the thumbtack killing a tree statements? ;)

Personally, the one and only guardrail cache I have found was on a bridge ( ? ) over a fast running creek (Usually seasonal - this was the season) and the road was quite narrow right there. I did not let my daughter get out of the car back where I parked it because while this was out in the country and there wasn't <i>much</i> traffic, what did go by zoomed through there fast enough to scare me! It was magnetized, and had fallen off once before when the creek wasn't running much and they found it down below.

I've found a few guardrail caches.. One was in a small decon container in the end cap. The other was hidden in the same spot, on a different guardrail, but was in a larger pill bottle, that was camoed..

My oh-so-evil idea:

It's been done, sort of. Try using a wireless doorbell. It'll be a lot easier to install and won't violate any geocaching rules. The only drawback is that you will need to change the batteries once in a while. Still a lot cheaper than 200 feet of PVC piping and rope.

about EVIL hides..

they often do reveal a trace of "vandalism" to the area

simply due to geocachers are looking for so long and so hard for it,

most of the idea is lost, since it more drive people crasy,

and geocachers searching LONG time also draw alot of attention to the spot

so many mugglers passing by, must think something must be going on in this area,

and maybe even go there them self to have a look..

so if you ask me if EVIL hides are good..

NOT always, it depends alot of how and where..

give good and usefull hints,

and REMEMBER it is intended for geocachers to find it, not tear up the place.

Edited by OZ2CPU