Change In Cache Review/publish Process: Allow Cache Owner To "reveal" Approved Cache.

grnbrg

Can someone provide examples where caches were submitted sufficiently in advance, but could not be released on the desired date, allowing for a window of time on that date when it would be OK to publish the caches? I'm not aware of any. There are dozens of reviewers and it's easy for a reviewer to post a help request.

In the example above, the only problem was that the submitted cache did not meet the listing guidelines.

I don't think anyone was implying that there have been times when the current process hasn't worked, or that the Reviewers are not able to consistantly come through for their local community of cachers.

And no one is saying that the current method is broken and needs to be fixed.

They are saying that this idea might be an improvement.

There have been many changes performed on the various Groundspeak services, and some might not have been needed, so much as just performance enhancements

Just because other items get changed, with or without a forum request, doesn't mean people shouldn't ask for things that they feel might make things run a bit smoother for everyone.

I could ask my Mother-in-Law to call me every day at 6am to wake me up. That system works just fine. But if someone told me I could buy a special clock that rings a bell repeatedly at 6am, then I would do it so my Mother-in-Law no longer has to call.

:mad: The Blue Quasar

Can someone provide examples where caches were submitted sufficiently in advance, but could not be released on the desired date, allowing for a window of time on that date when it would be OK to publish the caches? I'm not aware of any. There are dozens of reviewers and it's easy for a reviewer to post a help request.

It was a close run thing but I set a regular "April Fools" mystery cache series with a new one each year that "goes live" at midnight on April 1st. In 2005 everything was set up with the local cache approver and s/he was all ready to publish the 5 associated component caches late in the evening of March 31st. However, s/he has a life too, and, whatever happened, midnight came around and it still hadn't been published. Some rapid e-mailing just after midnight, caught them just before they went to bed and luckily got the caches released. I know there were a number of people waiting by their computers for the caches to be released because it had been publicised well in advance. They had been approved and ready for release beforehand, of course. With the ability for the owner to choose the time of release this problem could have been avoided and the approver's job could have been complete beforehand. Absolutely no criticism of the reviewer - s/he does a fine job, but the lack of a tool like is being discussed in this thread made that job somewhat more difficult and almost resulted in a number of people being inconvenienced.

Anyway, this year, out of consideration for the reviewer and to avoid any such issues, I deliberately designed my series so that they could be released well in advance but couldn't be started until I updated the description page on the first one telling people how to calculate the final coordinates of a multi which in turn held the instructions for finding the rest of the caches. But it took some head scratching to devise this convoluted approach which was really a "workaround".