Is Right To Delete/change A Cache/tb History?

A user have the right to completly delete found logs in caches visited in the past, or TB movements that he was made, just because he want to delete her recent past in the geocaching?

We are talking about twenty or more caches and some five or six TB movements. It is not a isolated case.

Please be gentle and consider the injury made in the itens history before do this.

Have you a opinon abou it?

I think it is inconsiderate to delete the information. Perhaps if the cacher does not want to have a "history" he or she should simply edit the logs to say "Found it" or "Thanks for the cache" and could erase the other details. But I guess it really doesn't matter for regular caches as much as for travel bugs. I don't think anyone can completely delete TB logs, however. The TB page will still show the name of the cacher who found it, moved it, or dropped it off even if he tries to delete the action.

A user have the right to completly delete found logs in caches visited in the past, or TB movements that he was made, just because he want to delete her recent past in the geocaching?

We are talking about twenty or more caches and some five or six TB movements. It is not a isolated case.

Please be gentle and consider the injury made in the itens history before do this.

Exactly what "injury" is being caused? I'm a bit cautious, because on messages like this, it often turns out there is much more of a story than is being shared by the OP. I would be hard pressed to claim that the world is a lesser place because there's no record that a particular person visited my cache.

Besides, suppose they had never logged their visit online in the first place? How is that any different?

If a cacher wishes to remove their own logs for any reason whatsoever, it's certainly their right to do so. If the cache owner for some reason thinks that it is critical that the cache history record that "John Doe" visited there, then they can post a note to that effect. But they should be up front and state the reason why it's important for the world to know that John Doe was there, even if John Doe didn't think it was important. And don't forrget that John Doe may have very good reason to want to remove their logs, and they are under no obligation to share those reasons with you or anyone else. The only real difference between their log and a note is that the note won't show up in their statistics.

With regard to the TB, its history (and computed mileage) will still reflect its placement into each cache, and the cache TB history will still show the TB as having been there. There just won't be a log record to display for it.

Exactly what "injury" is being caused?

Please be advised that the OP is from another country. "Injury" just may have lost something in the translation. Perhaps "affect" would have been a better word.

I realize that -- I looked up the OP's profile before posting and tried to word my response carefully. That's one of the reasons I asked them to explain what the "injury" was.

Exactly what "injury" is being caused? I'm a bit cautious, because on messages like this, it often turns out there is much more of a story than is being shared by the OP. I would be hard pressed to claim that the world is a lesser place because there's no record that a particular person visited my cache.

Besides, suppose they had never logged their visit online in the first place? How is that any different?

If a cacher wishes to remove their own logs for any reason whatsoever, it's certainly their right to do so. If the cache owner for some reason thinks that it is critical that the cache history record that "John Doe" visited there, then they can post a note to that effect. But they should be up front and state the reason why it's important for the world to know that John Doe was there, even if John Doe didn't think it was important. And don't forrget that John Doe may have very good reason to want to remove their logs, and they are under no obligation to share those reasons with you or anyone else. The only real difference between their log and a note is that the note won't show up in their statistics.

With regard to the TB, its history (and computed mileage) will still reflect its placement into each cache, and the cache TB history will still show the TB as having been there. There just won't be a log record to display for it.

I concur wholeheartedly with your statements. I must note that a bit of a red flag went up on my radar screen when I first saw this post, and I suspect that there is likely far more to the story, or far more to the agenda of the OP, than the little of which we are so far aware.

It's bad form to delete legitimate logs on both caches and travel bugs.

False logs, logs intended to harass ect. are fair game. If you have a personal travel bug and all the logs are your own, nothing is really lost.

So while in general it's a bad idea there are always exceptions.

Edit: The above is about cache and travel bug owners deleting logs.

If a player deletes their own logs they are within their rights. I would hate to see the history lost with the logs they delete but that's a separate thing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

"Injury" just may have lost something in the translation. Perhaps "affect" would have been a better word.

eheheh! :huh:

ok! You are absolutely right! Ther's no "physical damage" of course, if is wath you ask. Maybe "affect"! Many thanks for the correction.

In another way: as the owner, you would like it to keep a nice and "right" history about your itens, and is your right and duty to keep them as well, as long ad this is a game and ther's a lot of other people playing around!

In fact, if the log is physicaly in your log book, the web-log was done once and we can't delete the past, is not exactly a elegant step to just delete the log(s) "no mather why"!

In this exactly case, the reason to delete two months of geocaching history thre's nothing about me or geocaching activity (sport, game, etc). So, in my opinion is ok if you want to change the log or the log history (most of the times is for a better version, anyway), but in geocaching, once you found it, you found it (remember you go to the cache by your feet), and in the TB the delete of the retrieved or drop of the item is particulary maleficent, once after that you have a TB "drop here" and "retrieved there".

By one respect question, even if thre's a lot of point of views about it, there's no right to do that, once thre's no a connection between this act and the other players/users.

Of course, in your experience as geocachers and forum users, you are naturally cautious with this history. Even we do when we see the facts, but the user, when questioned about it, just argued not specified personal reasons without any kind of relation with the other players/users or geocaching. After that, when we do some pressure for a logical or just satisfactory answer, the user (not so player) just tell "ok! if the Groundspeak put a button to delete, so, I just use it! That's all!" We just don't think this is likeable! :)

I'm sorry for my bad english! :unsure:

Edited by play mobil

No need to apologize for your English, playmobil. :unsure:

I can certainly appreciate that as a cache owner, you'd like to be able to see a complete history of your cache. There are many times I've gone back and read through the logs of my own caches and I take pleasure in seeing how others have enjoyed them.

However, the person who creates the log is the "owner" of that entry and it's up to them as to whether they wish to leave it online or not.

As I suggested, perhaps you would want to just record your own "note" on the cache to comment that the person in question was there on that date but chose not to leave an online log. But if they ask you not to post such a note, I also think the polite thing to do is to honor their wishes.

No need to apologize for your English, playmobil. :D

I can certainly appreciate that as a cache owner, you'd like to be able to see a complete history of your cache. There are many times I've gone back and read through the logs of my own caches and I take pleasure in seeing how others have enjoyed them.

However, the person who creates the log is the "owner" of that entry and it's up to them as to whether they wish to leave it online or not

As I suggested, perhaps you would want to just record your own "note" on the cache to comment that the person in question was there on that date but chose not to leave an online log. But if they ask you not to post such a note, I also think the polite thing to do is to honor their wishes.

It was really strange to "drop" on this topic 2 years after... :D I lived a similar experience: one beautiful day, in April, I realized that all my team logs had been deleted! One of us had decided that was the better way to “clean” (?) a past.

Obviously, I agree with you "the person who creates the log is the "owner" of that entry and it's up to them as to whether they wish to leave it online or not". But with a little adjustment... that were TEAM logs... the history of part of the team first caches. Do you still remember yours "first times"? :) It is quite an experience! :D And we were really there! All was lost!

I 'm not a geocacher expertise; I do not discuss its principles and rules. However, in this particular experience, deleting the logs was something unacceptable! And only a matter of personal values: respect, friendship and honesty (with his team mates and cache owners!)

But this is all past… a cache closed and buried! :)

I know of two situations where a cacher was being harrassed by an ex-spouse, who knew their cacher name. In both cases they wanted to erase all traces of information about themselves. Just saying... there are possible personal reasons that you may never know about, it could literally be a life and death matter.

I know of two situations where a cacher was being harrassed by an ex-spouse, who knew their cacher name. In both cases they wanted to erase all traces of information about themselves. Just saying... there are possible personal reasons that you may never know about, it could literally be a life and death matter.

Yes, I know the reasons why our friend has deleted the logs and, today, can even understand them. But as I said, it was a matter of principles... Talk with his team, save copies of pictures and logs and delete it after.

Is quite ridiculous to read alter um year or two things like... "I've already found this cache... just don´t now what happened to the log..." :D We are all humans, sometimes we do things that we might regret later... The subject is closed! LET's GEOCACHING!

While my personal preference is not to remove/delete my log entries en masse and while I prefer that others not engage in this practice either (that is, to delete their log entries), I do feel that geocachers do have the right and privilege to engage in such behavior if they wish, and it does not bother me on the very rare times when it does occur.

Now... As for your talk of "injury" to an item's history, and your obsession about the fact that this is not an isolated case: I suspect that you are taking this sport a bit too seriously, and you may wish to let go of your obvious obsessive/compulsive beliefs and attachments about this matter and related matters -- it could do a world of good for your mental, emotional and spiritual health!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team