Family Lost Geocaching

I found this amusing article, wanted to share it with you:

Quote "Recently a family got lost while Geocaching near Myakka City, Florida. The family realized they could not find their way out of the woods and called 911 to ask for assistance. A Sheriff Department helicopter later located them an a country truck was able to drive in and rescue the seven member family.

This is a good lesson for everyone. GPS is a tool, not a fail-proof wonder gadget. These people are not the first… nor will they be the last people to become lost even though they have a GPS device.

I’m sorry the Mileys family had a bad experience Geocaching. If by chance they happen to come across this article in the next few weeks…. I’m not too far from you and would gladly offer a free GPS lesson to you and we’ll go find that cache! Just contact us.

http://www.gpsreview.net/family-lost-geocaching/

"

You want to know what is sad/wrong with that situation? The fact that tax payers paid for HELICOPTER FUEL to find them. They had a phone and a GPSr with them, right? Why not just give the cops their location??

Heck, for the price of fuel, they could have went to a local store, bought any GPS, and then went in to get them.

Sheesh.

- John...

Doh! Turns out the story was WRONG anyhow! There is now an update:

"As it turns out, one member of the family had hurt their knee and wasn’t going to be able to walk out of the woods under her own power. So they skillfully read the coordinates from their GPS and gave those coordinates to the Sheriff’s Department who came to assist them."

I hate bad media reporting.

- John...

"As it turns out, one member of the family had hurt their knee and wasn’t going to be able to walk out of the woods under her own power. So they skillfully read the coordinates from their GPS and gave those coordinates to the Sheriff’s Department who came to assist them."

- John...

Oh, and I thought they did not have the new gps with Sirf3 chip and the gps lost the satelites in the deep woods.

- John...

If you want to see someone get the simplest thing wrong - tell it to a journalist.

TM