Micro / Nano Caches In Urban Areas

We visited London at the weekend, and I really enjoyed finding the numerous micro caches that are hidden in areas that hundreds of muggles pass by without realising. I know that not everyone likes micros, but I thought they were quite fun.

As a Geocacher who can't drive, I find it hard to go caching without my hubbie and his car! Are there any other cities / towns that have similar caches?

I would like to place one in Swansea, in a place that would not support a regular sized cache, but am not sure of the reception it would get. What d'you think? Good idea, or should I not bother?

I would say go for it :anicute: If you would enjoy finding a cache there, then so would some other people but its imposable to please everyone. Give them the information on the cache page and they can decide for themselves.

Variety is the spice of life :yikes:

Brian

Edited by Deego

I don't think there's many who would say "I love micros more than 'proper' caches", but the fact is that a lot of places don't have space for a full size cache, so a micro will have to do.

There's also some sense of achievement for having managed to find, retrieve, log and re-hide a micro whilst the rest of the world passes by without knowing it's there.

You could try and find a location to support a small cache rather than a film canister, that way there's still room for some small swaps - I've seen a few small ones 'round my way which are only 2"x2"x1" - almost as easily hidden as a micro, but enough room for a small TB, jeep or geocoin.

It's your cache - go for it.

Definately go for it. Although I prefer out in the country - good size caches, I also like to be guided round a new town to some of the more out of the way and interesting places that I just wouldn't know about if I went there as a tourist.

Also, I sometimes have to go to places in 'work mode' and I'm not dressed to go yompng in the mud. But sticking a GPS in the posket and having a lunchtime wander is just the ticket.

Some of my favourite cache finds have been cunning micros. I also have a few nanos out there. Oxford's a good place to visit if you like to discover a city through its caches as there are lots of great locations with a micro tucked away. Urban caching adds more challenges in terms of muggle (or police with machine guns) dodging, locating and recovering the cache, as well as distraction techniques employed to replace it. The use of magnets and urban camouflage can also makes micros fun, especially next to obvious stock-o-flage hides of bigger boxes. I know many people hate them -even if they rarely swap anything in a bigger cache- but I'm all in favour of the micro. Long live their inventive use!

Edited by Simply Paul

Quite like micros, tis the thrill of the hunt and retrieving them without being seen that i like. Had some great micro hunts throughout London, taken me to places that i wouldn't normally think of going, places where it's impossible to put a traditional cache, bit like virtuals really, but at least you get to sign a logbook:).

We visited London at the weekend, and I really enjoyed finding the numerous micro caches that are hidden in areas that hundreds of muggles pass by without realising. I know that not everyone likes micros, but I thought they were quite fun.

As a Geocacher who can't drive, I find it hard to go caching without my hubbie and his car! Are there any other cities / towns that have similar caches?

I would like to place one in Swansea, in a place that would not support a regular sized cache, but am not sure of the reception it would get. What d'you think? Good idea, or should I not bother?

GO FOR IT !!! :unsure::)

Micros are great for in towns/cities, or for short cache and dashes. And yes there are plenty of other cities/towns that have them.

I have set micros and nano's and 'unusual' containers, and received a good response.

I also don't have a car, but hasn't stopped me setting a few! :huh::)

Love 'em.

If you get the chance to go to Dublin, there's a few micros / nanos etc... hidden in some very crafty and busy places. One or two are easier done very early in the morning when it's not so busy, having said that, when it's really busy, it's sometime easier to blend in and not be noticed.

I also find I need to be in the right frame of mind for that type of caching.

There is a 'nano' series in Dorset - here is one of them. Same idea - a code inside, to mail to the owner and verify a find.

There is also this one in London - one of my favourites!

Someone is selling a 'nano cache' on ebay at the moment, for a fiver, but to me it just looks like one of those kids ear rings - you know the ones with the flashy lights and the magnetic clips? I won some of those on the 2p machines in the arcade, so maybe I should start an ebay business!

Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps it's a specially made container - don't know.

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

There is a 'nano' series in Dorset - here is one of them. Same idea - a code inside, to mail to the owner and verify a find.

That's interesting - I know of people (not me!) who have had caches turned down because there is no logbook.

I was thinking the same thing when reading this thread. I've just looked at the official cache guidelines and it specifically states "consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook".

That's interesting - I know of people (not me!) who have had caches turned down because there is no logbook.

Could they have been virtuals before the embargo? :huh:

If so they would have got through without the logbook.

I may have been one of the first people in the UK to have a Nano cache, and it was turned down until I sorted out a log for it. I had wanted people to email me with a certain code that I had inside.

The only way around this is to lie to the approvers when submitting the cache, or fail to have the full description up.

I'm pleased that I stuck by the rules as one of the approvers ended up visiting Edinburgh and doing that very cache. :unsure:

Animal tags are good. Tiny screw-closed cylinders with enough room for a little scrap of paper in a roll. Sneaky, but fun! There's a few around but don't expect to see 'nano' added to the GC.com list of cache sizes any time soon :)

Now, don't be modest, I did two of your nanos (picos?) on Sunday-excellent!

I like city micros/nanos

The thrill of the chase, subterfuge to recover, move away to sign the log and then the problem of replacing them

I was recently in Oslo - some really good ones - one was under tram tracks -for the brave only!!!! :unsure:

And in the USA they are on a new level - the camouflage in plain sight is awesome

I did one that was 25 feet from a Starbucks 24/7 coffee shop and painted/disguised as an inspection plate on a car park floodlight-a thing of beauty!

Each to his own

I like tupperware chasing in the country, I like virtuals in places of beauty, I like fiendish puzzles (although I'm not too good at them :huh: ), I like city-centre micros.

That is the range and strength of geocaching and why it is all things to all men [and women!]

Could they have been virtuals before the embargo? :laughing:

If so they would have got through without the logbook.

If it's not mentioned that there is no log book in cache detail submissions the reviewers wouldn't know .

We have found two new caches in the last month that don't have log books .

The log book doesn't have to be huge, though. Even a 1cm wide (or even less) roll of paper will give people room to write their initials on, that's still a log book in my view.

If people are afraid to take the paper out - e.g. because they may not get it back in, or if they are worried about damaging it - maybe they could take a photo of the cache in their hand as evidence? The placer has met the guidelines by submitting a cache with a log book, is it not their choice whether they accept 'found' logs from people who have actually 'made their mark?'

I am thinking that this could be a solution to caches in places where otherwise only a virtual would do - places where even a 35mm film case may not be possible might still be able to support a container like this one - tiny, but it has a log book.

For the finder, I think locating something like this can give a real sense of achievement.

Have a look here only 1078 post to read through though !! topic has been runnig for over 2 years and it is still near the top of the page.

Wow, that is a long thread!! Sad as I am, I've been reading it for about an hour (should be working really). Now it's got me thinking about how to put a big container in full view of muggles!

I don't know how things are in America, but I wouldn't consider using some of those ideas in the UK - an electrical safety box? No way! I'd be afraid geocachers would start poking around in a real one by mistake! And a bird's nest - same problem. A pine cone, maybe - but you'd have to make it stand out in some way, otherwise how would people ever find it? I quite like the Groundspeak rock, which has the logo subtly engraved on it. Very expensive though.

Another thought I had - the cache I placed yesterday could just as easily have been put in full view, rather than hidden out of sight, as it is well camouflaged. That might be more fun - maybe I'll move it and update the clue.

I did one recently that was a very realistic "Warning - Danger of Death" in yellow with black writing sticker (just like you see on real boxes) on a grey box by the pavement which looked like it could be an electrical box.

It was only when I'd realised there were no obvious micros with magnets etc etc that i touched the stickers on the grey box and one came off in my hand with magnetic strips round the edge and a logbook in a ziplock bag stuck to the back. Loved it!

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

< rant>

I can just about handle film-canister sized so-called micro-caches but now I’ve just come across an advert for a “nano” cache container. Great. Marvellous. Do we really need to encourage people who can’t hide reasonable-sized caches by giving them microscopic containers tailor made to irritate the bejasus out of people? What are they used for where I live? Secreting tiny little curls of paper inside twigs in the middle of forests or cunningly inserted into hollowed out blades of grass or the bowels of recently-dead mammals, that’s what. It’s not big (it certainly isn’t) and it’s not clever. I know where I’d like to insert them.

Now don’t get me wrong: I can see the point in hiding urbane urban micros (there's one in Oxford that I missed, isn't there, Paul? :rolleyes: ) but not in a huge forest, surely? Why do that as it only spoils it for a real cacher who wants to hide a proper cache?

For the manufacturers of these little containers, the next prefix after “nano” is “pico”, then “femto”, “atto”, “zepto” and finally “yocto”. The day I see a yocto cache is the day I’ll quit.

I couldn’t find it, by the way.

< /rant>

There is a yacto cache hidden in this full stop ->. I'm not telling you how to log it though :laughing:

I'm not a huge fan of micros in woods, but with the right clue (not 'at the foot of the tree') they can offer some fun. Perhaps a cunning micro inside a rubber snake tucked up a hollow log is better than a crape filled damp icecream tub under a bonfire's worth of sticks?

Edit: Wasn't Zepto the Marx brother the others kept in an attic?

Edited by Simply Paul

I'm with SP on this - an imaginative micro is superior to an ordinary full-size box in most (all?) cases. I'm not sure why some people think that micros should only be considered when there's no site for a full-size cache.

There are plenty of well-hidden micro/nano caches around Britain too - great fun!

HH

There is a yacto cache hidden in this full stop ->. I'm not telling you how to log it though :laughing:

I'm not a huge fan of micros in woods, but with the right clue (not 'at the foot of the tree') they can offer some fun. Perhaps a cunning micro inside a rubber snake tucked up a hollow log is better than a crape filled damp icecream tub under a bonfire's worth of sticks?

Edit: Wasn't Zepto the Marx brother the others kept in an attic?

No, Zepto was Pinnochio's maker/father IIRC <_<

As for micro's, they can be fun to retrieve, have had to go into ultra stealth mode for one or two here in London town. Can't say i'm a big fan of them in areas that will take a bigger (traditional) cache but that's just my own opinion, after all, it's the hunt that i get the thrill from so while ever i keep finding them, large or small it's always going to be TFTC.

I would also add "Go for it". There comes a time when a repreive from searching for an "unnatural pile of twigs in yet another woodland area that is much the same as the last woodland area" is a joy. <_< Having said that I doubt I'll ever visit Swansea - they can't spell 'proper like' there I'm told :laughing: .

Excuse the lack of quoting from above, but if you have read the thread it will make sense.

It is interesting you make the comment about not having a log. I say this because it was suggested by a well respected cacher that I convert one of my caches to do exactly the same as here to try and prevent weather damage of the log. Currently I am changing the cache every few weeks. Personally I don’t like the concept of having to do extra things to log on top of finding it and signing the log, but that is a personal opinion.

I also have a Nanocache active in Tyneside but listed it as an “Other” and not micro. Because of this it is probably better to go to stats.geocacheuk.com and search for the word nano in the listing. Personally I don’t think we should encourage or discourage nano caches. As long as the write up lets you choose not to find it then I have no problem, although a nano for the sake of a nano is less likely to be enjoyable to do than one that has been fully thought out IMHO.