Us General Land Use Benchmarks

ffjerm

I was attemping to locate an USGS benchmark near my home here in So. California when I stumbled across a benchmark labeled as 'US General Land Use Survey'. Has anyone here heard of these and/or is there a resource where I can find more info on these benchmarks.

Thanks - ffjerm

Perhaps it has a slightly different designation. Just guessing. There was a General Land Office that did Land Surveys. There could be a U.S. Survey done by the GLO. anything is possible, so what might help narrow it down is the location, if you want to five a latitude and longitude, we might be able to narrow it down.

- jerry wahl

I was attemping to locate an USGS benchmark near my home here in So. California when I stumbled across a benchmark labeled as 'US General Land Use Survey'. Has anyone here heard of these and/or is there a resource where I can find more info on these benchmarks.

Thanks - ffjerm

Edited by jwahl

I have also seen USE as an older abbreviation for the United States Engineers (USE), better known now as the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).

A picture of the disc would be interesting, if you have one. You can upload it as a Note on a benchmark near the mystery disc so you can link or add it here.

The United States General Land Office (now the Bureau of Land Management [bLM]) was responsible for the survey of all public lands within the United States. Their surveys were cadastral in nature and used the Public Lands Survey System (PLSS) method of land division as shown in the Manual of Instructions for the Survey of Public Lands. One of the main purposes of the surveys was to determine the area of public lands held by the United States.

The PLSS is a grid system comprised of townships (6 x 6 miles = 36 square miles) and sections within the townships (1 square mile). As a general rule, the corners of each section and township was monumented. Many of those monuments were brass caps (which look like benchmarks) and labeled as GLO Survey monuments. (Other monuments used included, among other things, stone monuments, stone piles [cairns], pits & mounds, and wood posts.)

Additional threads which discuss the GLO and their monuments are:

U.s. General Land Office Survey Disc, (I need help)

Ya 'what Mark Is This?' P

Initial Points

'glo' Markers, Why were they placed at those locations?

U.S. General Land Office Survey

- Kewaneh

3156fb90-1b95-45dc-9390-a0f6c521c7ad.jpg

Ok....here it is. I'm not sure how well the pic will upload, so I'll give a verbal description as well.

Outer edge of disk is stamped 'U.S. GENERAL LAND OFFICE SURVEY - 1942'

I believe the ID # is T4NR3W

then the center is stamped:

S20 | S21

S29 | S28

N34' 24.810'

W117' 12.439

Elevation of 3074

:rolleyes: anyway, hopefully this info will help. This mark is obviously a corner marker of some sorts. It would be fun to locate some more of these. If anyone here can lead me to more resources, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again - ffjerm

You got a section corner. More specifically the section corner common to sections 20,21,29 and 28; Town 4 North, Range 3 West.

Technically this is not a bench mark, its a property controlling corner.

landinfo.jpg

Edited by Z15