Earthcaches And Webcams On Waymarking

I've been wondering, if there is an earthcache or webcam listed on geocaching.com, should I go ahead and mark it on Waymarking.com? Should I wait until Waymarking is announced to the geocaching community as a whole? Do those who have these listed on geocaching get first dibs on these? To the last question, I'm assuming not, but just want to make sure.

Thanks,

Dew Crew

I've been wondering, if there is an earthcache or webcam listed on geocaching.com, should I go ahead and mark it on Waymarking.com? Should I wait until Waymarking is announced to the geocaching community as a whole? Do those who have these listed on geocaching get first dibs on these? To the last question, I'm assuming not, but just want to make sure.

It was my understanding that all the old earthcaches, locationless caches, virtual caches, and benchmarks would eventually get moved over. I'm not sure on when they are going to do this and I don't know what they'd do with webcams... after all many webcams have real geocaches associated with them don't they? (I think the one in my city has a real cache somewhere)

My EarthCache is listed on both sites.

Everyone keeps saying that we should treat these as two different games, so that's what I'm doing.

I expect one day that VC,WC and EC's will be Auto-Archived after a grace period, but until then my VC and EC shall remain on GC... and my EarthCache will stay on Waymarking too.

Speaking of which... why are they called EarthCaches on Waymarking? Shouldn't they be called "Earth Sites" or something other that CACHE?

:anicute: The Blue Quasar

My EarthCache is listed on both sites.

Everyone keeps saying that we should treat these as two different games, so that's what I'm doing.

I expect one day that VC,WC and EC's will be Auto-Archived after a grace period, but until then my VC and EC shall remain on GC... and my EarthCache will stay on Waymarking too.

But what if it's somebody elses Webcam or Earthcache that is listing on geocaching, should I mark that on Waymarking, even though it isn't really mine?

But what if it's somebody elses Webcam or Earthcache that is listing on geocaching, should I mark that on Waymarking, even though it isn't really mine?

Personally I'd say leave em for now... especially since Groundspeak hasn't "officially" announced Waymarking as live. It seems a lot more live since the last big upgrade but I'm sure there are a few more features on the way and a few more bugs to squash... so until that happens I say leave it...

now on webcams you may have a little leeway if indeed there is a cache nearby for the webcam... I think you could technically mark the cam since it would still be needed for the cache anyway and would not be moved over...

there is a virtual cache in my town that I'd like to move to Waymarking so I feel yer pain=P

To me, since the Waymarking site has not been officially announced in a full blown capacity... I think most people would view that as "poaching" or something like that.

If you ask me (lol... like that stops me, a lack of being asked), Groundspeak could send a message to all of the WebCam and EarthCache owners and request that they migrate their WebCam's and EarthCache over to Waymarking in addition to leaving them active on Geocaching... that way they are double listed and everyone gets the chance to retain ownership.

To me there is no reason to leave them on Groundspeak indefinitely. They should, in my opinion, be treated the exact same way that Locationless Caches were. Perhaps a target of 31 Dec 06, then all active listings get Archived. That gives people more than 6 months to migrate their WC and EC's over.. and if they were allowed to double list for the remainder of the year it might soften the blow.

The only problem I foresee is Virtual Caches.... there is no easy method to transfer those to Waymarking en masse.

:anicute: The Blue Quasar

To me there is no reason to leave them on Groundspeak indefinitely. They should, in my opinion, be treated the exact same way that Locationless Caches were. Perhaps a target of 31 Dec 06, then all active listings get Archived. That gives people more than 6 months to migrate their WC and EC's over.. and if they were allowed to double list for the remainder of the year it might soften the blow.

I'm sure they will make this sort of deadline at some point in time. I'm guessing they want the system down first, so right now they will get rid of bugs, perfect the system, and get more categories added in hopes that all those at geocaching.com won't have the issue of not having a category to go to.

To me there is no reason to leave them on Groundspeak indefinitely. They should, in my opinion, be treated the exact same way that Locationless Caches were.

Argh. Respectfully, but utterly, disagree. I really want to see the grandfathered virtuals, earthcaches and webcams stay there. Especially the virtuals.

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

I tried cross posting my 3 earthcaches onto Waymarking too. I was told today that they cant be listed on both sites. Given the popularity of my earthcaches, Im keeping them at geocaching. I have at least one more earthcache I will eventually create and post onto Waymarking.

I was told that too. I was also told "Jeremy doesn't want them on both"... and I say they should be, to encourage growth.

My EC on GC gets far more visits than it does on WM... even with the links I added to draw people over to Visit it on WM. WM hasn't even really been established yet... why remove EC's from GC?

If am forced to choose.. I'll choose WM since that is NOW where EarthCaches belong. But I don't think it would be fair for them to say I can't have both, since other EC's are still listed on GC.

And there would be nothing stopping someone stealing my EC and sticking it on WM if I Archive my listing on WM.

That would be really unfair.

:mad: The Blue Quasar