The Nc Microcache Glut

3 War Vet

:P Why are people getting so lazy with the placement of Caches? Around the Sandhills area of NC we have nearly a 5 to 1 ratio of Microcaches over Real Caches. Everything I've read says that Microcaches are placed in built up areas where hiding a normal cache is either difficult or impossible or you place them at some point of interest to draw cachers to see something without creating some of the "less traditional" types of caches.

The last 10 Micro sites I've visited had only 3 caches where you couldn't put a small cache or larger. 4 of those 10 I could have put a medium ammo can at. The idea of multi-caches with a Micro at the end is ridiculous. Why is it a concern? The lack of effort required to put out Microcaches is going to kill the sport. Our children will keep the interest of Geocaching up in the future. They don't want to keep going around finding a piece of paper. Most kids get excited about the whole hidden treasure idea and Xmas present anxiousness. It also works on my curiousity to see whats inside. Whether I want any of it or not.

I think that everyone needs to remember a small, medium, large or extra large cache is the standard for Geocaching and Microcaches are used when the other sizes won't work in that area and not the other way around. 1 regular sized cache is worth 5 Micros. Hopefully the Fayetteville/Southern Pines area will get aware and start mixing the different cache sizes instead of being lazy and automatically placing "The Easy Micro Cache".

Edited by 3 War Vet

Since the only thing you can control is what you do, place good caches and hunt good caches. It's not like there aren't more good ones along with the micros you have come to hate.

Oh and people who place micro's don't read the forums. :P

TOUCHE' Well put regarding the Micronauts. I don't actually hate them as much as I see lost opportunities at some sites. The 10 caches I made in Afghanistan took some time and have great stuff in them but, the micros are growing like weeds here. Maybe I'll just place the micros in larger containers at the same site because some of them are clever sites, but their potential wasn't seen. Thanks for the input.

Edited by 3 War Vet

Setting a good example goes a long ways. You can change the areas perception of a good cache.

A funny thing. My last micro was modeled on everthing people don't like about micro's. It's tongue in cheek but literally everything bad I could do I did. For some stupid reason people seem to like this cache because it's exactly what I promised. It also took more work to make it that bad than if I had done the easy thing (a lamp post is 1' away).

Every time I think I have caching figured out, I find out I don't.

:P Why are people getting so lazy with the placement of Caches? Around the Sandhills area of NC we have nearly a 5 to 1 ratio of Microcaches over Real Caches. Everything I've read says that Microcaches are placed in built up areas where hiding a normal cache is either difficult or impossible or you place them at some point of interest to draw cachers to see something without creating some of the "less traditional" types of caches.

The last 10 Micro sites I've visited had only 3 caches where you couldn't put a small cache or larger. 4 of those 10 I could have put a medium ammo can at. The idea of multi-caches with a Micro at the end is ridiculous. Why is it a concern? The lack of effort required to put out Microcaches is going to kill the sport. Our children will keep the interest of Geocaching up in the future. They don't want to keep going around finding a piece of paper. Most kids get excited about the whole hidden treasure idea and Xmas present anxiousness. It also works on my curiousity to see whats inside. Whether I want any of it or not.

I think that everyone needs to remember a small, medium, large or extra large cache is the standard for Geocaching and Microcaches are used when the other sizes won't work in that area and not the other way around. 1 regular sized cache is worth 5 Micros. Hopefully the Fayetteville/Southern Pines area will get aware and start mixing the different cache sizes instead of being lazy and automatically placing "The Easy Micro Cache".

HMMMM you must be from a different Sandhills than we visit occasionally. We loved all of the caches down there, micros and regulars alike. They were all great hides, some easy and some hard. In a couple of days you could find any kind of cache you want. from simple park and grabs to classics like Wildlife and slate Mountain. When we were tired of navigating the gamelands and all of its caches we would run into town and grab a few micros. We're just waiting for a few more to pop up and we'll be going back down there

If you think this area is bad, you need to visit Savannah, GA. Talk about Micro he((. :P

I think the micros in this are are pretty tastefully done. MOST micros in this area are done in place where, if a geo-muggle were to run across an ammo can, they might think it was something malicious. TPTB :) won't let us place caches on Fort Bragg, even if the area is accessible by the general public, without entering a checkpoint and normally used as a recreational area. :) I only knew of one on greater Fort Bragg, near Texas Lake, but I think it has even been archived.

I will agree that A FEW micros are placed in areas where a "regular-sized" cache could go. But all in all caches in this area are good. And oh, by the way, I have cached a few areas (and states) other than the Sandhills area and NC. :)

We all have to remember, is the spirit of the sport being served.

My suggestion search for caches YOU are interested in. It is not necessary to debase the entire local geo-community because you are angry about a few micro-caches. B)

The worst is Jacksonville hands down. Any of the micros in NC at a strip joint or sex shop? Go to Jax and you'll be able to visit such places.

Once again for those who have never been to Jax, the entire area is not how it is explained above. There are some parts that might have what is being said, but if you really wanna go cache in Jax I highly suggest sending an email to StressMaster, PaintFiction, or The Feds, any of those three will give you a great list of caches. I've been there and those guys know how to hide some ammo cans like you really would not believe to be possible

As for the whole NC rant-- you hate them that bad, block them from your search, and that will solve that.

The worst is Jacksonville hands down. Any of the micros in NC at a strip joint or sex shop? Go to Jax and you'll be able to visit such places.

Once again for those who have never been to Jax, the entire area is not how it is explained above. There are some parts that might have what is being said, but if you really wanna go cache in Jax I highly suggest sending an email to StressMaster, PaintFiction, or The Feds, any of those three will give you a great list of caches. I've been there and those guys know how to hide some ammo cans like you really would not believe to be possible

As for the whole NC rant-- you hate them that bad, block them from your search, and that will solve that.

No that won't solve anything. Everyone has to have something to gripe about. For example I gripe about spoiled milk. JAX is another of our favorite caching areas. Try the Fernandina Beach loop or the downtown caches. Try doing an internal on a certain lion there and see if you don't leave with a smile on your face.

while i am not a big fan of micro's in places that would hold a traditional trading cache, i don't hate them either. i have however become quite selective in where i'll go to look for a cache. walmart parking lots, no thanks. nice parks, unique landmarks, and historical sites will attract me however no matter the cache size. now, having said that, the one thing i do really hate is a micro hidden in an environment in such a way as to invite frustrated cachers to trash the area. unfortunately, i see this all too often in woodland settings. use some sense in placing your cache no matter the size, but especially if placed in an area that could (and will) be trashed if your average cacher becomes frustrated. 3 war vet, come look for mine just south of your area. no micro's by me, and one of mine is fairly notorious (WILDLIFE). -harry

Edited by shawhh

With almost 500 hides (about half with trade items) I have my share of micros. I try to make my micros memorable for some reason -- devious hide, cool location, whatever.

When I ask other cachers to name their favorite caches they are almost always full-size and entail a stroll/walk/hike or some interesting puzzle to be solved. I assume micros are appearing in abundance because they are cheap and easy to hide.

I try to tell new cachers that just because you CAN hide a cache there doesn't mean you HAVE TO hide a cache there. And that if a full-size container is possible in a location it is usually preferable to a micro.

Maybe the pendulum will eventually swing back in the other direction...

No that won't solve anything.

It will if they are wanting to hunt quality trade item caches only and not spend every weekend in some parking lot dashing from 1/1 to 1/1 every 600 ft.

JX and the other areas you mentioned all have some great caches, and I know for a fact JX does cause I was there for GW3, and while I did not get to do the beach runs, I did do one that exposed me to the most evil cache I've seen to date, The Monkey Puzzle.

With almost 500 hides (about half with trade items) I have my share of micros. I try to make my micros memorable for some reason -- devious hide, cool location, whatever.

When I ask other cachers to name their favorite caches they are almost always full-size and entail a stroll/walk/hike or some interesting puzzle to be solved. I assume micros are appearing in abundance because they are cheap and easy to hide.

I try to tell new cachers that just because you CAN hide a cache there doesn't mean you HAVE TO hide a cache there. And that if a full-size container is possible in a location it is usually preferable to a micro.

Maybe the pendulum will eventually swing back in the other direction...

Sticking a micro on a guard rail, lamp post, random newspaper stand, or telephone booth also seems to be a little eaiser in the "I got permission" area then say a state park sometimes depending on the locations. Now before you go saying NO, I said DEPENDING ON THE LOCATIONS...then again, some people don't want to waste the time having to actually spend money on buying and stocking a container, but spend it on gas for all those 1/1 parking lot runs.

OzGuff from a personal stand point, I've done one of your "micros" and I liked it, because it was not just like every one "micro"...For Pete's Sake is the one...loved it

I was thinking about this earlier, I've cached in FL, GA, SC, and NC, and will soon be adding TN and maybe DC, but the point is, all the states I've done caches in, they all will have their fair share of those nagging micros no matter where you go. I USE to own one, but I was still new and I had some great long talks with some of the more veterian caches in my area and from that I know put out either quality interesting micros or ammo can size cache.

We are never going to be able to shake those that are there, but we can help shape the landscape for future cachers.

There are so many different reason why we all go caching. After going out placing a couple caches myself, we have a main reason for placing micro, this area is just about to explode in growth. With all the ongoing construction and the planned expansion in the area, you have to know that well places cache in open areas are going to be ruined in the ongoing construction. It seems that alot of the more prominet cacher in the area leave items but do not take anything. Our team is more interested in the hunt not the loot inside the cache. If you look at the micros in the area most of them are not easy, however all the ammo can that have found have been seen from a distance away. I like the micro, Medic208 seems to be very cleaver and devilish in his hides.

I deleted my post above from my Reviwer account to post under my User account I din't want there to be any confusion on who was commenting.

Hey Geoholic28 I just wanted to say thanks for your opinion and standing by Jax. Most of the cachers from the area admantly refuse to surf these forums for the exact nature of this thread. I don't know the OP or the situation he speaks of but it is the generaliztion that people tend to use that really bothers not only myself but other cachers from Jax as well as other areas. We have people come to Jacksonvile they hunt 20 or 30 caches by selecting 1&1 caches they don't do any pre-planing, they contact none ofn the locals or even bother to look at our Group boards. Then out of the 1000's of caches available they from an opinion on every cache in Jacksonville. The bigger issue is that they totally fail to take into account that caches are hid by the wants and needs of the local community. I keep hearing Sex Shops and Strip Clubs yet these people have no idea behind the reason for these hides they simply rush to judgemnt about 1% of the caches be indicative of the of the whole.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic but I just thought maybe it was about time a Jax cacher got a word in when we get referenced so much. Again thanks to GeoHolic28, The Horse Geeks and all the other cachers who visit Jax give us the oppurtunity to meet you all and spend a little time with you and get to show you what we really have to offer here.

As many around here know, I have railed on various forums about Micro Spew and the resultant fundamental change in our game since around mid '04, for quite some time. For a while last year I (like many others) cited Nashville as the "poster child" for the affliction, and others who have cached in Jax'ville (I have not) also cited that area similarly. In the cases where I cited Nashville, I was also always very careful to point out that there are many, many excellent (read: in worthwhile locations, micro or full-sized) hides in the area, but that I believed they were obscured to newer and visiting cachers by the "white noise" that so many Spewed Micros created on cache page listings.

I have observed in the various forums in the past year or so that Nashville is cited less often as the Micro Spew poster child. As I have not been back to cache there in a couple years, I believed from my remote vantage point that perhaps the tide was turning, and that while one can still run up hundreds of finds on Spewed Micros in Nashville, maybe the proportion of higher-quality caches was increasing due to the increased awareness of the issue. I have also wondered if that Event Cache that was held in response to the charges from those St. Louis folks might have contributed to the increased awareness. In any case, I viewed the decreased references to Nashville about this issue to be a good thing.

Recently, I posted a thread on the local Minnesota Geocachers forum (where I've been spending my work weeks for the past several months) on the subject of Micro Spew , and a spirited discussion resulted. The usual pro and con arguments were posted. One of the local folks, without any prompting from me, made a reference to Nashville and its reputation for being the Micro Spew poster child, and did they want the Twin Cities to become that? I replied that my observation was that in the past year I had seen fewer references to Nashville in that regard, and that maybe through increased awareness the tide might be turning there. The person then replied, "Have things really improved in Nashville, or have our expectations decreased nationwide, because Micro Spew now seems to be happening everywhere?"

I went a long way in this post to get to that key point, which is pertinent to this particular thread regarding this region of NC. It's become clear that Micro Spew has spread far beyond Nashville, Jax'ville, and other areas that previously were the well-known "exceptions" to what used to be our original definition of our game (full-size cache containers the vast majority, longer hikes, longer distances to drive between caches). Now, we hear about the issue in Springfield, MO, the Sandhills of NC, and so many other lesser-known areas. All it takes is one or two hiders who leave the house with a handful of 35mm cans (or Altoids tins, etc.) one morning and a determination to place them all that day at whatever cost and location be darned, and next thing you know, your town is Micro Spewed . Clearly this has happened in regions all over the country (world?) in the past 2 years.

Welcome to the new definition of our once-great game. It used to be a game of effort (You've cleared out your area and need more caches to hunt? Drive farther!); now it's a game of convenience (You need more caches to hunt? Wait for some more to be Spewed, or Spew some more yourself and others will follow!). I know the cost of gas has gone crazy lately, but I actually had someone on a local forum argue that he didn't want to drive more than 5 miles to cache. In '03 or earlier this would have been considered preposterous; now it's the "new norm".

I have to admit, I have came across a few caches in the Nashville area I knew were hidden for the heck of it, and they frankly sucked as hides.

That being said, I've enjoyed a greater number of hides in that area than not. I do avoid high traffic areas, and stick closer to parks and outskirts of the city. I realize some people enjoy hides in high traffic and urban areas, so to each their own.

I hide caches like I would want to hunt, all I can do is hope others do the same. If others like to hunt Micro Spew, let them. I'll find them if I feel like it, and if I don't feel like it, I pass on by.

<_< Where I live, Lakeland, FL The caches are pretty dense. There is a wide varity of caches. Some junk( why did you take me here?) caches, some very creative micros and some great larger caches. The settings range from Downtown urban ammo boxes (hard to hide), to the many great parks in the area. Most downtown hides are micros, many outside downtown are not. It's a mix that fits the area. I see a movement by individual cachers to improve the quality of caches in the area. Many micros are turning into Decons or other small containers.

As far as JAX is concerned, I haven't had the opportunity to cache there yet. But many cachers over here have. The reputation here of JAX is very positive. "JAX is the place to go!" , "WOW, you can go to Jax and find lots of great caches, just get together with them and you'll have a great time!", " HOSPITALITY is wonderful in JAX!". People here easily know who puts out the quality caches in Jax, it's not that hard to know for any area if you do a little research. So the Lakeland folks say thanks to the JAX folks! Don't let the BSartists wear you down.

Edited by wiseye