What Do I Do Next.....

wandat24

Not sure where to post this question..... I got e-mailed back today about 2 caches I'm wanting to adopt. The owner gave me permission to adopt them, but what do I do now to get it to go through? I did e-mail him back and asked him to go to the adoption page and put in the information, and gave him my name on here, but was wondering (incase it's a while before he can do it) if there's anything I can do instead? Can I post a note saying I'm in the process of adopting them and once I do I'll archive them and go replace the caches?

There appear to be a couple ways to adopt a cache. The first is to ask permission and then have the granter contact the local admin who will then contact you and so on and so on. The much faster way is to have the cache owner go to http://www.geocaching.com/adopt and enter his/her info. You should get a notice as soon as the info is entered. You respond to the notice and presto, the cache is transfered. Good luck :P

There appear to be a couple ways to adopt a cache. The first is to ask permission and then have the granter contact the local admin who will then contact you and so on and so on. The much faster way is to have the cache owner go to http://www.geocaching.com/adopt and enter his/her info. You should get a notice as soon as the info is entered. You respond to the notice and presto, the cache is transfered. Good luck :)

cool, thanks Fox-and-the-hound, i did e-mail him back and asked him to go to the page (was even nice and gave him the waypoints, so it'll be easier for him to find them to enter them lol.

He hasn't had much time to cache in the last year, and hasn't been able to maintain them. I picked these two cause they are MIA and people are still counting them as a find! :P

Why would you archive and replace the caches? That is inconsistent with adopting them. Color me confused.

BEcause they are MIA

I'm also confused. If they are MIA and you're replacing them, why the heck would your archive them? :P

ok i used the wrong term apparantly, i will be "Disableing" them for a week or two while I fix them.... Is that a Better term?

lol Ok now that we have that cleared up, should I post a note saying I am in the proccess of adopting them (on each of their pages) and will be disableing them for about a week or so while i replace them, after it goes through? and would it be right if after i have them adopted I delete the Finds, but Didn't finds? I don't see it's fare they went out and they was MIA and couldn't log them that way (From what I understand it's easy to see where they was...), but I don't see it's fair for those to do that when there's been a few that logged them as MIA and DNF (in other words both of them there's been some that has logged them as found, but says that they are not there, clearly, but since they found where they should be they're logging them as finds...)

Personally I would be pretty upset if any of my DNF's were deleted. They are part of the cache's history. Face it, the cache was missing at one time. Why would you want to hide that fact? Just post a (enable) note saying the cache was replaced on this date, and move on.

There is nothing wrong with logging a "Did Not Find" on a cache that is not there. Some of us take pride in our DNF's and are as picky about tracking them as we are with our finds. See the bookmark list linked in my signature line. :P So I wouldn't delete those, since they're accurate logs.

As for deleting bogus finds, that is up to you when you become the new owner. Some would just let it slide but enforce things going forward. If you do delete finds, make sure to delete only those which you are confident are incorrect. Usually the text will give it away. ("I couldn't find the cache, but I did find the hiding spot" or words like that.)

I have No problem with them posting a DNF it's the ones when they post it found, but state in the log they didn't...

go read the Logs, and you'll know what I mean GCHYG8 is the waypoint.. There's been a few say they didn't find it, but are going to log as found anyways. these are the ones I'm wanting to know if it'd be ok to delete. i can understand going out to find one and it be MIA, hell I have about 25 DNFs the one on 11-12-05 is the one I don't get......

I have No problem with them posting a DNF it's the ones when they post it found, but state in the log they didn't...

go read the Logs, and you'll know what I mean GCHYG8 is the waypoint.. There's been a few say they didn't find it, but are going to log as found anyways. these are the ones I'm wanting to know if it'd be ok to delete. i can understand going out to find one and it be MIA, hell I have about 25 DNFs the one on 11-12-05 is the one I don't get......

Left a bit out... I understand there is a ceratin spot it is to be in, but if the cach isn't there, should they count it?