No More Music, Please!

Clothahump

I've encountered more than one cache where the cache owner has tied a music file to the cache and it starts playing when you open the cache page up.

Please don't do this, folks. It's annoying as hell to start out with, and there are those of us who read caches on our lunch breaks at work. The music bugs others as well as us.

Thanks!

Fortunately, you can't do this anymore on new caches. The code gets stripped out automatically. So, you're probably looking at (and listening to) old cache pages.

If the owner of a cache with background sound ever edits their page, they will be in for a surprise, as the sound will be taken away.

So, be a helpful geocacher, and find a typo, a historical inaccuracy, better directions to the trailhead, etc., and write to the cache owner to suggest that they edit their page. :)

Fortunately, you can't do this anymore on new caches. The code gets stripped out automatically. So, you're probably looking at (and listening to) old cache pages.

:):):) Thank you Groundspeak! I've always been a strong believer that webpages should be seen and not heard. I've resorted to using a filter that prevents virtually all music/sound effects from loading, or at least stops them from playing unless you choose to click the play button.

If the owner of a cache with background sound ever edits their page, they will be in for a surprise, as the sound will be taken away.

So, be a helpful geocacher, and find a typo, a historical inaccuracy, better directions to the trailhead, etc., and write to the cache owner to suggest that they edit their page. :)

Excellent! :)

OH MAN! I was looking at some the other day, (I use Mozilla, instead of IE..) and had like 20 tabs opened up to look at them (20 different caches). All the sudden I hear music. I didn't think anything of it, until my 8 yo brought me her radio to show me that the music I was hearing wasn't her radio, that she had actually listened to me and turned it off 2 HOURS before (she had been sent to bed in trouble, so she couldn't listen to it that night, and like many 8 yo's 2 hours later she was still awake giggleing reading a book... :) ). It DROVE ME NUTS!!!! :) until I figured out it was one of the cache pages I had opened.... To this day I hope to NEVER run across another one that plays them!

I've resorted to using a filter that prevents virtually all music/sound effects from loading, or at least stops them from playing unless you choose to click the play button.

Like the on/off button on your speaker? :anicute:

I always have the knob on my speaker all the way down until I want to hear something.

OK I know this is of topic but: I watched a movie on my notebook the other day. About halfway through I'm thinking this is an OK movie but that background music is driving me crazy. It even plays when other music is playing. After the movie was over I closed the player to find that another window had opened with info on the movie and that was where the music was coming from.

I've resorted to using a filter that prevents virtually all music/sound effects from loading, or at least stops them from playing unless you choose to click the play button.

Like the on/off button on your speaker? :unsure:

I always have the knob on my speaker all the way down until I want to hear something.

I always have my speakers off, so the problem I have with music on cache pages is what it does to my browsing by slowing everything down to a crawl. :huh:

I only have a 24K dialup connection to the Internet . . . :)

Besides even if it's at work on your lunchbreak you shouldn't use company computers to look at geocaching. :unsure:

All I've done all day is surf the 'net. Here, fark.com, boingboing.net, pennyarcade.com... I'm running out of sites to check out to keep me from going crazy from boredom.

I always have my speakers off, so the problem I have with music on cache pages is what it does to my browsing by slowing everything down to a crawl. :laughing:

I only have a 24K dialup connection to the Internet . . . :anibad:

Same here only I have 56K dialup. Same thing happens when it's trying to load the background image(s) on a cache page. I don't understand why people insist on having a background image.......the cache description part of the page covers most of it up and you can't see what the image is anyway. :huh:

I'll post for the other camp. I've never minded the music, especially if it was themed to the cache (Mission Impossible theme for Seth!'s Mission Impossible caches and such).

As for background images, I've seen a number of puzzles where that is where the info is hidden.

While it's not a sound issue, I have recently seen caches where the owner added some sort of 'falling snowflake' script to the page. In Firefox, the script overlaid the page, and I was prevented from clicking any of the links on the page. I had to resort to Internet Exploder to DL the .gpx, and to log my find! I guess enough people complained, or perhaps the site stripped the script out, because it's gone now.

The point? While I appreciate people creating interesting cache pages, we should keep in mind that the added fluff may not be appreciated by all users, and could actually be detrimental.

A thought: A super-trick cache page won't make up for a lame cache.