Your Preferred Trade Items/trinkets

I have run across plenty of child related trade items in recent caches, however I was interested in hearing what you as a mature cacher would like to see in a cache. I know we would all like to run across some real cash, but what cheap items do you like to find. As for myself, I enjoy running across pocket knives , gift cards, and a compass.

I have run across plenty of child related trade items in recent caches, however I was interested in hearing what you as a mature cacher would like to see in a cache. I know we would all like to run across some real cash, but what cheap items do you like to find. As for myself, I enjoy running across pocket knives , gift cards, and a compass.

Well, pocket knives are a definate no-no since 9/11 but I like carabiners, first-aid kits, flashlights (you can get a pretty decent one for $1 at the Dollar Tree Stores), waterproof matchstick tubes and many other useful items.

I like biners. They are useful and colorful and I will take them and buy NEW ONES to leave. I like Irish pennies - I leave them, especially if there are foreign coins or tokens to trade. I like clean, unbroken McToys that are a character I like. I like pins - I will swap pins.

Some years back I was involved in coordinating appearances of the Gateway computers hot air balloon, and I have a couple of hundred enamelled pins from the various years I worked that job. I have been leaving the pins as a sort of semi-sig item. Coincidentally, I have a collection of such pins, and I like finding new ones in caches, whatever the subject. I've recently considered putting out a cache with a pin theme.

Signature items are always great to find. The more unusual the better. For trading though, I like things that relate to the cache's placement (outdoor gear on a mountain or bike gear on a bike trail, etc.) or any of those crazy theme caches. Themes are great because of the variations of one idea that just show up. My favorite theme cache is a local that only trades whistles for whistles. You should see all the different whistles that show up! I stop whenever I'm up that way just to see what's shown up. :)

It's rare that I take anything from a cache, but since we are a family of cachers including a 3 year old, she loves to take something. She's partial to toys - dolls, animal figures, etc. This past weekend she took a squishy green slug and a plush Easter bunny, but the weekend before she just had to have a red shoe horn. Go figure!

Since we own a Pez trading cache, we've left quite a few Pez holders. Lately we've been leaving either a CITO kit (film canister w/ trashbag inside) or a cache aid kit (extra logbook, pen, 2 AA batteries, mini sharpie, extra ziploc bags, and a CITO kit) depending on cache size.

I like keychains (I'm an admitted Keychain Ho! :P )... I have a large biner full of ones I've traded from caches.

I would love to find more foreign coins; I have a growing collection of those, too.

I usu. leave (for adults) First Aid kits, caribiners, our sig. pens, cool Post-It pads, etc.

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

i like rubberballs(i put the coords of where i got them on the ball, and save them for later to start a new ball cache, you can put it back where i got it from.)where's george bill, (also for a new cache idea.). got a geocaching braclett that i now can't be without, i think thats all for now.

Tim

Edited by srt4guy

The kids usually take toys of some sort, so I tend to replace them with more toys. Son #1 is older so is interested in foreign coins and such as well. Bubbles are always popular with both kids.

Due to our team name, we often leave toy dinosaurs and small fossils in caches. I've noticed that very few of the fossils have been taken from caches (unless they were taken but not logged). Maybe people think they need to trade up for them. Honestly things such as fossil shark teeth are quite inexpensive. I have some fossil turtle shell pieces, shark teeth, and a few small trilobites at the moment. I buy them at local rock and fossil shows or online as needed. I make them look nice by printing up cards with our team name and some information about the fossil including what it is, its approximate age, and where it came from.

I guess the basic rule is leave stuff that you'd like to find, although there is no need to bankrupt yourself in the process! I can tell you that cachers with kids do appreciate toys, but it's nice to occasionally find some more useful items that adults can take. :P

I've found sig items before, but always thought best to leave in case the owner would like them to collect... how ever, i'm happy with what ever. I don't care if i do trade or if I TNLN lol. I'm happy just getting out..... I had an awsome find the other day when we made a trip to Ark just to say we'd cached there. I found a geocoin, and thinking it was "alive" I traded some magic cards for it (I've been told by many I don't have to trade for trackables, but I do anyways, either another trackable or somthing neat). Well, when I got home and went to log I found out it wasn't a "live" one after all it was left for the next finder (it was left shortly before we'd gotten there lol).... If i'd known that I woulda traded something ALOT nicer/neater..... Now my question is, when stuff like that is left and it says it can be tracked on geocaching.com would you activate it and use it (or send it out) or keep it?? lol

I LOVE to find lapel pins since I collect them anyways. Also keychains and any turtles.

I like to leave pairs of dice, small kleenex, hand wipes, AA batteries, and my own signature dove pins. I have tried to find stuff that is guy friendly but would like to hear what the guys would like to find (k keep it clean!) :anicute: I also would like to know where I can get the one use Repel wipes? I found one the other day and thought that was a great idea, light and easy to carry too.

We like to see pins (not buttons), carabiners or 'souvenir' items which are relative to the area we are caching in. We leave items with a connection to our home town in addition to homemade wooden nickels with our name on them.

What a sport... with no spell checker, I must lookup words...I read words that I can't find in the dictionary :yikes: What is a carabiner? What an education I'm getting :blink: This better than school :anicute:

What a sport... with no spell checker, I must lookup words...I read words that I can't find in the dictionary :yikes: What is a carabiner? What an education I'm getting :blink: This better than school :anicute:

Little clip thingies that can be used as keychains. (Bigger stronger ones are used in rock-climbing.)

Another factoid for your education: in addition to being nicknamed "biner", a carabiner is also called a "crab". :lol:

A couble of carabiners:

DTI_carabiner.jpg

What a sport... with no spell checker, I must lookup words...I read words that I can't find in the dictionary :yikes: What is a carabiner? What an education I'm getting :lol: This better than school :anicute:

Little clip thingies that can be used as keychains. (Bigger stronger ones are used in rock-climbing.)

Another factoid for your education: in addition to being nicknamed "biner", a carabiner is also called a "crab". B)

A couble of carabiners:

DTI_carabiner.jpg

Go figure :lol: I have about 10 of those things that I bought in Quartszite, AZ...never even thought what they might be called :blink: Thanks for the info :lol: Oh, I forgot to add...you guys are good:)

Edited by Wild Thing 73

First aid kits and anything that would expand my own, compass, pocket knives, foreign coins (I have quite the collection now!), signature pens, AA batteries, waterproof matches, wet-ones resealable packages, insect repellent, 550 paracord, Gold Bond medical wipes (the best thing since sliced bread...they saved my hide in the woods one day)... I guess all kinds of woodsy/campy stuff for the most part. :anicute:

My daughter likes $ (she's a starving college student). For me, I like stuff useful for the outdoors (straps, first aid kits, compasses). I especially like climbing-quality biners (read the "toy" ones carefully: "not suitable for climbing). Not that I do a lot of climbing/rapelling--but if I'm over at the office and suddenly a mountain materializes through the floor beneath me it's nice to know that I'm prepared.

Pesonally first thing I am looking for are personal tokens/buttons/coins. After that I enjoy interesting pins and occasionally a keychain will catch my eye. Useful items depending on weather conditions like hand warmer, wipes, Gold Bond, ect are nice.

There was a load of rope/tennis ball dog toys and foldable dog bowls at the dollar store recently. I grabbed a bunch thinking those would be nice if I had a dog. Hope they are liked...I got a bunch :unsure:

Coins and tokens. Love 'em. Especially old ones. I'll go out of my way to pick up an indian head penny worth nothing. (And then, like as not, give a similar one away as a trade item but keep the one I got from a cache. Go figure).

Ditto: I'll go out of my way for a coin or token and will leave a foreign coin even if I don't trade.

I leave ancient coins (1700-2000 years old) as my sig item. I always ID, label, and coin flip 'em with my geocache handle. Hopefully they please both young and old finders. My ulterior motive is to spawn an interest in history or collecting. Too many cool hobbies I grew up with (model building, coin/stamp collecting, fw fishing, etc) are heading for extinction in this age of violent vidiots. Personally, I don't take anything, but my 10 and 6 year olds do when they come with.

here's an idea I thought of a while back, next time you are at a Meijer, Wal-Mart, etc keep an eye out for the $1-5 DVD's. They are cheap, neat swag. I'd love finding a few in a cache, I placed 2 in one cache, one was traded out only a few days later. Some of these DVDs contain cartoons suitable for children, others have old movies for the adults. Personally I like the old monster movie ones, I don't expect the ones I've put out so far to last very long once people get out and start finding the caches.

I don't really do any trading, the one time I did an actual trade, it was for an old Gi Joe figure. If you are in my area, feel free to leave your old 80's action figures in my caches, I'll come take em! lol

I don't really do any trading, the one time I did an actual trade, it was for an old Gi Joe figure. If you are in my area, feel free to leave your old 80's action figures in my caches, I'll come take em! lol

1980s GI JOES ARE NOT OLD! I still think that fuzzy stuff they put on his head in the late '60s is a bit high-tech and twee for a proper fighting man. Leave the wuss hair for Ken, Joe. We all know who really went home to Barbie's Dream House of an evening!

I said that out loud, didn't I?

I like finding things I can use, which is rare really. I put in things that others can use, usually things I picked up at a rummage sale, and they didn't sell on eAuction. Antiques, collectibles etc etc that I picked up cause I thought they were neat, but nobody wanted to buy 'em. I have a bunch of that ,,, eh-hem,,,, stuff.

What would be neat, is to have kiddy caches, and adult caches. What might you find in an adult cache?

Little bottles of booze, nudy playing cards, fireworks, pocket knives (I have a bunch of), etc etc etc

This will never happen though, because they have to have stuff in them that are kid friendly, in case a kid stumbles upon it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Voigt54601