Categories For A Waymark-series

Hello,

I'm planing a waymark-series through a city. But for the most of my waymarks I would create, I can't find the right categories.

So here are my ideas

Buildings > Religious Buildings -> christian Churches

Like small Chappels, villagechurches, or Dom

Buildings -> Citywalls

Buildings -> Frameworkhouses

I hope, that is the correct word for it. In german -> 'Fachwerkhaeuser'

I will plan a series like a citytour, but with waymarks and the waymark-description is the cityguide.

This categories will make it easier for me and people to find out those interessting places.

Sorry, but my english isn't very well

br,

Kai

Hello,

I'm planing a waymark-series through a city. But for the most of my waymarks I would create, I can't find the right categories.

So here are my ideas

Buildings > Religious Buildings -> christian Churches

Like small Chappels, villagechurches, or Dom

Buildings -> Citywalls

Buildings -> Frameworkhouses

I hope, that is the correct word for it. In german -> 'Fachwerkhaeuser'

I think christian churches may be a tad broad, not sure how it is where you are but a city with 10k people in it here is bound to have probably 20-40 christian churches in it. I would suggest trying to narrow it down a tad.

Not entirely sure what a framework house would be... can you give an example? That may help.

Otherwise your english is fine and city walls would be cool, though I bet would be more old world than new world for the most part. (to me still interesting though so would love to have it in!)

Fachwerkhaus ->

http://www.fachwerkhaus.de/fh_haus/hist_bauten/altewaage.htm

http://www.hitzhauser-fachwerk.de/

http://www.baumarkt.de/nxs/397///baumarkt/...information.htm

Churches:

Here in germany, the most villages have a small cappel or a church.

Villages are put together to a 'Gemeinde' erm...

look here -> http://www.koenigslutter.de/staticsite/sta...epmenu=inactive

Our village 'Klein Steimke' is a part of 'Koenigslutter'. Koenigslutter has 2 churches (one evangelic and one catholic), and every village have its own capple or litte church, so we have 19 'churches' in one city :)

I had suggested a category a while back for self-guided tours that would be useful here. I proposed that you list the starting waypoint of the tour and having the additional waypoints in the description or use a mechanism like the additional waypoints for geocaches to add the waypoints.

Yes, I am planing a Cache with waymarks. At the waymark you can find something to find the cache.

Perhaps churches by denomination? (Catholic, Lutheran, Evangelical, Baptist, Other) Midevil Churches would also be very interesting in and of itself.

I like the framework houses before, maybe I just never knew what to call those. I knew what they were looking at them though (just make sure to include a picture in the category description if you suggest this one to stop confusion).

I'll be devil's advocate and say what about a geocache category not unlike what you are wanting to do. (I realize most waymarkers want to keep them seperate, but why not one category that brings them together? If this is supposed to be about everything why not?) You could put it in Waymarking games, and part of it would be that the waymark would lead you to a geocache. Not sure how you would deal with this on geocaching side if you wanted the find to count over there as well, but would be a very cool idea IMHO.

Also I like a Waymark Tours category (maybe also in games?) idea, could only get 4 coords right now in a single waymark but perhaps if you get em in an interesting area with several unique features per coord, that may be good enough.

These last two categories would certainly be worth visiting! I might be interesting in joining as an officer if you need em for a possible geocache or tours category.

Perhaps churches by denomination? (Catholic, Lutheran, Evangelical, Baptist, Other) Midevil Churches would also be very interesting in and of itself.

I like this idea - it would help prevented one particular category being inundated with churches and help break things down a bit to the sorts and types of churches people maybe specifically interested in. It's kind of similar to the Historic markers categories - those interested in establishing them according to province, state or country rather than a general mish-mash. I would be happy to help establish one or two of these as well church categories as well.

but what is with evangelian-lutheran churches? :huh:

Okay, But the medivial is one catergory to much. When I have an old katholic church. In which category will I put the waymark?

I like the framework houses before, maybe I just never knew what to call those. I knew what they were looking at them though (just make sure to include a picture in the category description if you suggest this one to stop confusion).

Thats the reason I like my GPSr. I ve learn many new things in a short time :unsure:

I'll be devil's advocate and say what about a geocache category not unlike what you are wanting to do. (I realize most waymarkers want to keep them seperate, but why not one category that brings them together? If this is supposed to be about everything why not?) You could put it in Waymarking games, and part of it would be that the waymark would lead you to a geocache. Not sure how you would deal with this on geocaching side if you wanted the find to count over there as well, but would be a very cool idea IMHO.

Also I like a Waymark Tours category (maybe also in games?) idea, could only get 4 coords right now in a single waymark but perhaps if you get em in an interesting area with several unique features per coord, that may be good enough.

It is both possible. I dont know, how much waymarks can be add to a cache (maybe 4, too?) or add the current waymark the next in a row. So there is only on waymark which is linking to an other (the next) waymark.

These last two categories would certainly be worth visiting! I might be interesting in joining as an officer if you need em for a possible geocache or tours category.

That sounds great. But first, we need the new catergories :)

I like this idea - it would help prevented one particular category being inundated with churches and help break things down a bit to the sorts and types of churches people maybe specifically interested in. It's kind of similar to the Historic markers categories - those interested in establishing them according to province, state or country rather than a general mish-mash. I would be happy to help establish one or two of these as well church categories as well.

No. 2! Thanks for supporting!

Edited by Thalamus

but what is with evangelian-lutheran churches? :unsure:

I was making examples lol I wouldn't make too many categories, I just figured those 4 are the primary christian denominations, other fills in=P For a church that might be two denominations, maybe someone could just put it in both

Okay, But the medivial is one catergory to much. When I have an old katholic church. In which category will I put the waymark?

I see no reason why you can't put a single church in two categories as long as it truly fits both. Waymarks are cross-listed fairly often.

It is both possible. I dont know, how much waymarks can be add to a cache (maybe 4, too?) or add the current waymark the next in a row. So there is only on waymark which is linking to an other (the next) waymark.

I really have no idea how this could work, I've never actually planted a geocache before so I don't know the process... that they have over there and not sure how to do it

That sounds great. But first, we need the new catergories :huh:

Well the only way to create new categories is to create a group and get 2 officers.. which is why I was lending my support to the tours and geocaching category if you chose to go there, am sure you could find others for the other categories you are looking for (they do limit to 5 right now).. I'm tryin not to join too many=P

@StagsRoar

Are you support the church-category, too?

I really have no idea how this could work, I've never actually planted a geocache before so I don't know the process... that they have over there and not sure how to do it

One time will be the first time :unsure:

The only way to know that is is parcticable ist to try it.

And: You dont need to get the cache, you can only do Waymarking

Sample

Geocache discriptions:

This is a Multicache. Use Waymark XXX to start.

You must at all waymarks to get the cache

The coordinate ist 52 19.ABC N, 10 49.DEF

Waymark1:

This is the citywall of Koenigslutter. It was destroyed in 1944, ...

Q: How many Rainhowls does it have (=A)

Go on with Waymark2

Waymark2:

Here you see the catholic church ...

Q: How many Crosses are at the portal (=:huh:

Go on with Waymark3

Waymark3:

The Library was burn down in 1543, ....

Q: When was the library build =C)

Go on with Waymark4

(Off)Topic: Here is the small chappel auf Klein Steimke -> http://img.geocaching.com/cache/11949d3c-c...e538406726b.jpg

Klein Steimke is a small village where live 170 people. My home is 0.3 meters in the east of this cache :)

Edited by Thalamus

I'm starting to loose the train of thought of where this category suggestion is going actually! Yes I am supporting a churches category. I thought to possibly break it down a bit it could be churches by denomination - it shouldn't create to many but it would create enough so as not to overload a single category.

I'm a bit lost with the Waymarking churches and cross breeding geocaches into them though. I take it that what is being suggested is using waymarks as clues to multicaches - I think this is the suggestion if I am reading it right. And if I am correct in my interpretation of this thread - you are suggesting also a separate category for Geocaches of this nature, or, was it waymarks that have geocaches incorporated into them - I'm not sure if thats the thought here but it is what I gather. In any case - if this was the suggestion then I guess it could be done but I am not sure if Groundspeak have thought about moving in this direction as yet. I tend to think that they are trying to establish waymarks purely as waymarks and thats it. I also have the impression that Groundspeak are wanting waymarks to be established at this stage as oppossed to being an activity to which established waymarks are something which you go and find. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I'm also guessing that later on when the data base for waymarks has grown somewhat - it may be then a more fesible activity to go find them - but for now it is focused on establishment of them. :D

If there were a church category I wouldn't see a need to break it down by denomination. You could have a category variable for denomination that would have to be set by the person creating the waymark. You may however want to have a separate category for historic/old churches (older than some number of years) or for church buildings no longer used as churches.

@StagsRoar

Yes an No

My maiminteresst is to mark cultural objects like churches, and houses.

But here in Germany you havent got much people there are interessted in Waymarking. So is my idea to combine waymarks with a cache. the cache isnt the goal, the way is it. But for cachers can log something for their stats. More people are using the waymarks = more people see them! I hope you understand me.

The caterogories are missing - with or without geocaching. When I will mark a church, where should I place it?

When I will mark a Citywall, ...?

The other part is only an idea.

@StagsRoar

Yes an No

My maiminteresst is to mark cultural objects like churches, and houses.

But here in Germany you havent got much people there are interessted in Waymarking. So is my idea to combine waymarks with a cache. the cache isnt the goal, the way is it. But for cachers can log something for their stats. More people are using the waymarks = more people see them! I hope you understand me.

The caterogories are missing - with or without geocaching. When I will mark a church, where should I place it?

When I will mark a Citywall, ...?

The other part is only an idea.

Aye that was about my understanding too... the Waymarking would find you the geocache... basically a combination of both sites... I would pre-suppose the best comparison might be a multi-cache where the first few caches would be virutal caches (Which are now known as Waymarks). Whether you would have a category for these types of geocaching in Waymarking.com or you would point to the Waymarking.com website in the geocache description I'm not sure about... but I like the idea of essentially combining the sites for a single type of event... it is interesting to me and could be a nice way to introduce geocachers into Waymarking as Thal stated.

If there were a church category I wouldn't see a need to break it down by denomination. You could have a category variable for denomination that would have to be set by the person creating the waymark. You may however want to have a separate category for historic/old churches (older than some number of years) or for church buildings no longer used as churches.

There are several people interested in a church category, myself included.

It is a difficult one to structure. Again, it is partly where in the branch the end category goes.

Let's take a walk through this:

Buildings/Religous Buildings/Christian Churches/ Way too broad.

Under Christian Churches:

/Protestant Denominations

/Roman Catholic

/Orthodox

/Other

(Even those categories are not all-inclusive Byzantine, Coptic for instance. And there could be disagreement about where Mormon (LDS), Jehovah Witness, Church of Christ Scientists, etc. should go).

I think these would be a good place to start categories. For instance, a Protestant Denomination category could have the specific denomination as a variable. On the other hand, this could be a huge category. My question is, "How feasible is it to sub-divide a category after it is created?" For instance, lets say several of the larger denominations collect enough waypoints to justify a separate category, could we spin off a category for United Methodist, Southern Baptist, etc.?

Then, I think there is the possiblity of separate categories, parallel in the taxonomy for other designations, such as Historic Churches older than 100 years, the existing Waychapels category, etc.

I'm going to copy this post and create a new thread, as this is one is going in too many directions. . . .

Then, I think there is the possiblity of separate categories, parallel in the taxonomy for other designations, such as Historic Churches older than 100 years, the existing Waychapels category, etc.

Historic church categories can always go into history super category even if they are still being used as churches