Young Cachers

Bootlegged-signals

The whole point of this topic is to unite the youth. I'm sorry to say that you old folks have held the reins long enough. I'm using this forum to bring the youth together in a triumpant and spectacular takeover of the caching world. In other words, lets leave the parents at home and hunt!

I have cached with a few others since I have started over a year ago and I have noticed that their average age was almost double mine. I think its time that we create a network, club if you will, of the youth in this wonderful caching world. I think that the age range should be from 1 day - 27 yrs old.

I'm hoping that we can create some events no matter how big or small that we can participate in. I know you're out there. Lets speak up!!!

Its time to stand out!!!

The whole point of this topic is to unite the youth. I'm sorry to say that you old folks have held the reins long enough. I'm using this forum to bring the youth together in a triumpant and spectacular takeover of the caching world. In other words, lets leave the parents at home and hunt!

I have cached with a few others since I have started over a year ago and I have noticed that their average age was almost double mine. I think its time that we create a network, club if you will, of the youth in this wonderful caching world. I think that the age range should be from 1 day - 27 yrs old.

I'm hoping that we can create some events no matter how big or small that we can participate in. I know you're out there. Lets speak up!!!

Its time to stand out!!!

When we go our 3yr old daughter is always with us. She loves to go "treasure" hunting. I think it would be a great idea to have some organized events for the younger generation. Any luck generating interest?

It'll be a frosty freakin friday before I let my teenager out of the house with my GPS'r. My truck, yes. My dog, maybe, My GPS'r never. :)

Just kidding, I think this is a great idea. If anyone knows of some people who would fit this category help spread the word by pointing them here.

Good Luck Bootlegged

We always have our 2 year old with us as well. He asks almost every day if we are going treasure hunting?

Just picked up an off road three wheel stroller last November, and now there are a lot more caches that brings within our reach. He obviously isn't up to a 2 mile hike, but he doesn't usually mind riding along with the promise of getting our and exploring when we reach the cache site.

JWID

Its time to stand out!!!

What's going to happen when YOU get over 27 y.o.? Will we let you in the old farts group?

We can split this group up even more. I propose 3 categories: under 12, teenagers and university/college. The way I see it, people of the first group might be eager to join their parents in the hunt, people of the second group might have to be pulled by the ears to come along, and people of the third group (such as your's truly) likely live away from home, own their very own GPS and rarely have a chance to cache with family members, let alone anyone (not by choice). Come to think of it, a fourth group could be created for girls that could span the entire age range because, and correct me if I'm wrong, but many (most?) females of th 0-27 age bracket would never go caching if it wasn't for a male-relative/friend, and most participating females (willing or not) are daughters, sisters, girlfriends (prospective or official) and/or wives of an active cacher. Maybe someone can try to explain this phenomena in another thread.

Edited by shearzone

Come to think of it, a fourth group could be created for girls that could span the entire age range because, and let's be honest, many (most?) females of th 0-27 age bracket would never go caching if it wasn't for a male-relative/friend, and most participating females (willing or not) are daughters, sisters, girlfriends (prospective or official) and/or wives of an active cacher. Maybe someone can try to explain this phenomena in another thread.

Um... take a look at this thread... :P

Come to think of it, a fourth group could be created for girls that could span the entire age range because, and let's be honest, many (most?) females of th 0-27 age bracket would never go caching if it wasn't for a male-relative/friend, and most participating females (willing or not) are daughters, sisters, girlfriends (prospective or official) and/or wives of an active cacher. Maybe someone can try to explain this phenomena in another thread.

Um... take a look at this thread... :huh:

ok, so many women answered the thread, but a lot mention a husband and/or kids (whether they like to go caching or not), so I think we can infer many of those women do not fall into the 27 years old or less category. I also noticed that many of the comments were made by men stating that their wives and daughters like to geocache. Both points support my argument that independant female participation in the under 27 bracket is unfortunately low. :unsure:

Edited by shearzone

ok, so many women answered the thread, but a lot mention a husband and/or kids (whether they like to go caching or not), so I think we can infer many of those women do not fall into the 27 years old or less category. I also noticed that many of the comments were made by men stating that their wives and daughters like to geocache. Both points support my argument that independant female participation in the under 27 bracket is unfortunately low. :unsure:

Touché. Allright I like this idea. I'll put myself in 3 groups then: girls, cause I'm one, teenagers, cause I'm one, and university/college cause that's where I'll be very very soon. Got into U Ottawa... *does dance*

Touché. Allright I like this idea. I'll put myself in 3 groups then: girls, cause I'm one, teenagers, cause I'm one, and university/college cause that's where I'll be very very soon. Got into U Ottawa... *does dance*

Of course, this grouping was devised to encourage discussion and is by no means set in stone. Those who are interested in such a group are encouraged to add their two cents. The important thing here is: don't trust anyone over 30! :unsure:

BTW, congrats on getting accepted to the U of O. I did my BSc there. I'm sure you'll enjoy the dynamic Ottawa-caching scene. Be sure to find the caches placed by my sister (~*hecate*~) and I in the east-end of town when you're there.

As a female but not 27 and under I will try and give the female prespective. I am a mother of 2, 4years and 22months. My husband is as non-cacher as you can get yet he gave me the GPS for my birthday. I have cached with males but prefer to meet them in a group setting before hand non caching g related so I can get a feel if comfortable to go in the woods with them especially if they are new cachers. I have met experienced cachers in the woods on a first meet but I did my research knew who they were, what they look like extra..... Personally I prefer caching with other females and have a caching partner. I have gone caching on my own for urban caches but in the woods either take a child or a partner. I am planing to set up caching play dates this summer with other cachers with kids. (let's meet at these woods cache go for lunch, playground after) There are female cachers we just tend to be choosy who we go out with and where.

So, does that mean its just us of the young-ish Canadian geocachers? Well obviously not, I know at least one but he doesn't read the forums - that I know of :laughing: ...

So um... HI! :huh: Whats up? :blink: Etc...

OH! I found a cache in Austria! Just thought I would share that as I tried telling my non-caching friends but they don't quite get it. "Geo-what?"

PS

Sent in my residence forms to U Ottawa today... *does another dance*

I'm also of the female variety and I'm the driving force behind our families geocaching adventures. My husband is a reluctant cacher...he goes with me on occasion and has a good time but would never think to go hunting on his own. I have no problem going by myself as long as I know the area. But it is just more fun going with someone else. (yelling 'found it' with no-one else to hear just makes me feel a little crazy) :laughing:

Our daughters like going, (even though one is now officially a teenager) have their own accounts and even a couple hides. Unfortunately, they are pretty much dependent on me to take them out....I have the car keys.

I'm hoping when they leave home they will keep caching, IMO it's the perfect game/hobby.

Well by no means is the age range carved in stone. I'm very pleased that there have been so many responses. I myself would have no clue on how I might go about getting everyone together. I've noticed that some people in the forums are trying to arrange a day of caching (ie. Hilton Falls Loop). If anyone anywhere knows of a good series then feel free to post it up and then people can spread the word!!!! I'm in Southern Ontario so if anyone wants to head out for the day then send me a note. I might be able to make it.

I too have noticed the same thing, most of the people i cache with are older then me. I don't mind at all and enjoy the differences we bring to the table. But I too have thought it would be nice to cache with some people closer to my age. I attend most events in the area (the golden horseshoe) and find that I am in a age group with very few people. Most people are either kids of the parents or the 'older' group as they have been so called here.

So I'd be into meeting some younger cachers out there.

Cheers. and good idea with the thread.

Scouts Canada has been promoting using GPS and Geocaching to its members (youth aged 5-26) for a couple of years now. There are even a few big projects to have Geocaching involved with the Canadian Jamboree occuring in July 2007 in Quebec. Local caching associations should be able to contact Scout Groups in their area through 1-888-SCOUTS-NOW to promote Geocaching further.

I think Geocaching needs to have more of an Xtreme flavour to attract the younger crowd. With that in mind, I plan on hiding a cache in the lions den of African Lion Safari. :D I'll follow this up with one stashed on the runway at Pearson and for the triumvirate of Xtreme caching top it off with a micro hidden on a Canada Customs booth on the Peace Bridge. :)

Cheers!

C-A

PS: I hope everyone saw the humour in this posting. :)

I think Geocaching needs to have more of an Xtreme flavour to attract the younger crowd. With that in mind, I plan on hiding a cache in the lions den of African Lion Safari. :D I'll follow this up with one stashed on the runway at Pearson and for the triumvirate of Xtreme caching top it off with a micro hidden on a Canada Customs booth on the Peace Bridge. :)

Cheers!

C-A

PS: I hope everyone saw the humour in this posting. :)

Canada Customs... that's the ultimate in stealth!!! Although, to make it *that* much harder, you could put it on the American side...

well i personall have started to notice more people in the younger age groups(myself being the age of 23) getting more and more interested in geocaching. many of my peers i have told seem quiet intriged with the whole idea. and there are a few people in my area caching already as well. but still i think a event or something is a great idea.

In our caching area, we're the youngest active cachers (aside from children going along with parents). We're 21 and 24. I've tried to get younger people interested in geocaching, I even wrote an article in a youth magazine. I think the catch is to actually take people to do a cache. The friends that I've got interested weren't really until we took them out to find a couple.

Edited by FisherBear

Wow I did not thing we were old but we are 32 and 30 and this female went out and purchased the GPS for geocaching. I really enjoy getting out there and whenever we have a free moment we cache. We also take our 9 and 6 year old with us quite often.

I will not cache alone. That is just my feeling. I have done some urban caches alone and they dont bother me but I will not step into the green belt on my own or do a terrain where I could fall (recently had some major sugery and inclines still intimidate me...We started caching to help me build the strenght back into my legs (too many months in a wheel chair) and to get the Family outside) But we all love the sport.

I'm 17, and I like caching, and so has everyone I've taken caching, but a lot of them don't have the ambition to go without me. Perhaps if this becomes major, they'll realize it's definitely for the young crowd as well. I've been caching since I was 14, and it's been an important thing for me ever since. If only there were more caches in this part of Saskatchewan. :o:o:rolleyes::rolleyes::o

Scouts Canada has been promoting using GPS and Geocaching to its members (youth aged 5-26) for a couple of years now. There are even a few big projects to have Geocaching involved with the Canadian Jamboree occuring in July 2007 in Quebec. Local caching associations should be able to contact Scout Groups in their area through 1-888-SCOUTS-NOW to promote Geocaching further.

Thanks to everyone that has had some imput into this topic. I know the youth are out there and I applaud all the more how should I say "experienced" :laughing: cachers are trying to get a new youth movement involved.

Thanks to "candaceandwill" for posting the Scouts Canada log. Thats great to know and I am interested in finding more about that. If you have anymore info in to this and please e-mail it to me through Geocaching.com

Thanks again to everyone and spread the word.

Don't forget to "CACHE IN, TRASH OUT" and preserve the environment, stealth is the key.

I think that I qualify as a young cacher, being 23 at the moment. I've always enjoyed being out in the world, and caching has taken me to a few places that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Hoping that once I start placing my own caches, that I will be able to share some of the same types of experiences with others.

Well, I guess I'm old now :unsure: 30 must be the new 80 :ph34r: Anyway, friends got us involved in this during the summer and I would have to say the girls and I are the driving force behind caching. I'll send e-mails to my hubby at work saying "Wanna go..." and put in the caches I think would be quick, fun, whatever. The girls are 6 and 8 and love looking for "treasures". I have gone on a few caches during the day by myself but it's more fun with someone to hear you say "found!"

Well, I guess I'm old now :P 30 must be the new 80 :(

Geeze, D...don't say things like that... I'm 44. What does that make me?? something like 100?? :( Anyway...my kids often go with me on hunts. They are 16 & 14, and love getting out there. A get-together for teens sounds like a cool idea.

Jester

the third group (such as your's truly) likely live away from home, own their very own GPS and rarely have a chance to cache with family members, let alone anyone (not by choice).

We're both in the Univeristy bracket. I put that quote up there because we're the reason Beth's father (Triple_Trouble) is a cache-addict. He has all of our hides bookmarked so he can email the second someone logs a visit. We like to compete for finds too (we're ahead by 1 i think haha).

All-in-all I like the fact that there are all sorts of age groups in the caching community, it just shows the diversity of the sport and that you don't have to be 6'2 and 180Lbs to be really dedicated and good at it, like most sports.

I'm sorry to say that you old folks have held the reins long enough. !!

Sigh. ....its just because we old folks need the GPSs more than you youngins. Why, what you don't know is geocaching is just a coverup...we really use it to help remember important things..like where we placed our toothbrushes and where we last saw one of our kids. :unsure:

But we encourage you...soon you will be ...one.. of... us!!!

Well I'm a seventeen year old female geocacher, and I'm the one in my family who does it. The GPS we have is all mine, saved up for with babysitting money until I had enough. My parents have to be convinced to come along, so usually it's just me and sometimes my 15 year old sister or a friend in the same age area. I got started in February when some friends (in their twenties) took me along with them, and since getting my GPS in September have almost caught up to them in cache finds. It's nice to not have a fulltime job and be able to have time to go geocaching :ph34r:

I am a fifteen year old cacher have been doing it for 1 1/2 years an am addicted I go caching in all my spare time and since I cant drive have even walked 12km each way to get a cache I would be interested I know there is a geocaching club at the high school in my area and most of my friends all cache and i could get them interested in something too

Edited by Relic Hounds