How Long Is Too Long To Log A Cache?

I just got some emails that this guy

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Genius+Loci

logged 2 of my caches, and he claims he found them last 20 July !!!

That's 9 months ago.

I looked at his cache found page and mine are back on page 21,

so did he log 420 caches today?

He has over 5000 total, easy if all you do enter them at this web site. :)

Yes, I know I can go check the logs, but these 2 take the most time to get to.

What would you do? delete them? or let everyone play the game the way he

wants to.

Edited by jimmyreno

I have found I've neglected to log a cache or two when I've been out - especially if it's over a holiday or vacation when I can't get them in right away. (I even returned to a local cache I had done because I didn't log it - poo!) There are a couple of virtuals in Gettysburg I still haven't claimed bcause I lost the info. Oh well...

If it bothers you enough as an owner, go check the logs. If they're so far that it's not worth verifying the physical logs, I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Maybe the person forgot to log a couple back then (I know finders that are months behind in their logging), maybe they're faking finds, in the end, how much are you affected by their smiley? I wouldn't give it a second thought, myself.

This geocacher is well-known for getting behind in his logging. Every once in awhile he catches up. Without even stopping to scratch my head, I can think of three friends of mine who have gotten six months or more behind.

In my own family, my daughter decided after three years of finding caches that she wanted her own separate account. She went back and retro-logged 300 or so caches, going back to June 2002, including the archived caches.

I am glad that the system has the functionality to allow late logs. :)

i think these people are .......holes

I just gotta wonder what facts or other information you base this opinion on? :)

Sometimes people don't log online at all; does that make them bigger holes? :) But then how would you even know?

As lep already posted, there are several well known cachers who for whatever reasons of their own are always behind in the online logging. I guess it just isn't as important to them as getting out there to find the caches and have fun doing so. I prefer to keep up with the online logging, but that's because I also have fun posting the logs online.

And to the OP-if these caches are so far from you that it's easier to come into the forums and fling accusations instead of a simple email to the poster, or verifying them yourself physically, then maybe you shouldn't hide caches so far from home? :)

Sounds like your problem is based on a failed assumption.

The site lists logs in chronological order based on the entered log date, and NOT in order that they were put into the site.

If you want, go search my found page for Kent Pond Beaver Cut, which I logged online 3 months ago (and found in 2004)*

*For posterity: This post was written in April 2006

I have had several cases of where vacationers that come to CO, forget to log until they finally get home. One of them even forgot that they found a cache the previous year and went for it again. Did I delete that second find, no I didn't. But I had one that laid claim to one of my backcountry caches, gave a short note which was not consistent with the notes that are written for that cache. Well I looked at his profile and he found caches all over CO and in WYO in 1 day. Impossible so the deletion was done.

I think a week or so is the longest we have taken to log on *most* of our finds. 9 months is a bit excessive.

If you take a TB or are FTF you should log right away so that others know that those things are no longer available.

But it is easy to forget. On a local caches we did I guess I forgot to log it. When we hit 300 caches I ran a finds PQ and checked it against what my GSAK said and discovered this one cache was missing. It had since been stolen and archived but I logged it anyways. I wrote a note to the owner explaining the situation and then all was well.

I just got some emails that this guy

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Genius+Loci

logged 2 of my caches, and he claims he found them last 20 July !!!

That's 9 months ago.

He has over 5000 total, easy if all you do enter them at this web site. :)

Yes, I know I can go check the logs, but these 2 take the most time to get to.

What would you do? delete them? or let everyone play the game the way he

wants to.

Because I have personally met this cacher and he is one of the most respected cachers in the Chicago area, I would be honored that he logged my cache. Did you notice that it wasn't just a simple "TFTC", but a nice complimentary log? This cacher is known for writing some of the best (and longest) logs, albeit often quite late. You should take the compliments he gave you and your cache and be happy.

I have had to wait months for this cacher to log his finds,

BUT BOY IS IT WORTH THE WAIT!!

His logs are thoughtful, complimentary, and you can tell he puts a lot of effort into them. He must take copious notes at the cache site. On One of my caches he composed a very long, very clever poem about finding the cache and the history associated with it. I would put it up in a minute in a contest for best cache logs of all time! It must have taken a long time to do. I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for this famous cacher, both for his logs and his hides. Hopefully I will meet him in a few weeks at an event.

He is a Great American! :)

If it bothers you enough as an owner, go check the logs. If they're so far that it's not worth verifying the physical logs, I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Maybe the person forgot to log a couple back then (I know finders that are months behind in their logging),

I'll second this. I recently logged a cache I found nearly a year ago and forgot to log. We even stopped by to check the logbook to make sure we weren't nuts when we realized this.

Though I admit the logging so many at once seems fishy.

With your indulgence, fellow cachers, I just have to do this: As one who has been flamed in the forums for my sins, I hate to see it happen to one who doesn't deserve it: Here is the cacher in question's log on my NXA9, located on a big rock where an Indian maiden lept to her death into a river over a broken heart... (read to the rythm of the theme song from the Beverly Hillbillies)

September 5, 2004 by Genius Loci (3337 found)

Come all you geocachers, come to read my tale of joy,

That tells of three brave hunters, who came down from Illinois.

They came to Indiana, where the Wabash waters glide,

to find the secret places where the geocaches hide.

The first was Hutt, their pilot, who drove their sturdy van.

From miles away, he drove all day, to bring them to this land.

Mattster, his son (a plucky lad) was second of the team,

with eyes so sharp he could spot a cache from the other side of the stream!

The third was Genius Loci, he's their stalwart navigator,

his directions always get there (though it may be sooner or later).

The three had heard the legend of the Indian Maid so fair,

and set a course for Hanging Rock, and the cache that's hidden there.

Hutt pulled up, and stopped the van, but much to his dismay,

He told the others "wait; until those Muggles go away."

And when at last the Muggles left, the cachers hit the trail,

despite the height, they vaulted up the cliff they'd have to scale.

The rock was high and slippery, and the path was very steep!

Yet up they climbed to reach to spot from where the Maiden leaped.

The summit gained, they stood in awe, to view the stunning scene

Of rolling hills and windswept skies, the Wabash's ravine.

Now turning their attention near, and searching on the stone,

each tried to find the secret cache whose location was unknown.

The dizzying heights, the slippery rock, their giddy vertigo;

was making for a very tough hunt upon the steep plateau.

They checked the rocks and plants (that grow upon that towering height)

But finding naught, were losing faith, for soon it would be night.

With no place left they had not checked, They hung their heads and cried:

"We've failed at last, our shame is great, we'll commit suicide!"

For since it seemed (to each of them) they'd failed in their search,

they next prepared to meet their deaths by leaping from their perch.

But then was heard (as sighing breeze) a woman's gentle voice,

and they dimly spied an Indian Maid, as white and cold as ice.

She walked on air and raised her hand, as the cachers watched in shock,

Then giving them a knowing look, she pointed at the rock.

She disappeared like a whisp of fog, but err she faded out,

they knew the place she'd shown them held the cache without a doubt!

They hastened to that hidden spot, and yes, they found it there.

"The precious cache is ours at last" they were heard to declare.

So! Come you geocachers, for my story is complete.

You've heard how three brave hunters nearly went down in defeat.

But if you cannot find this cache upon the Wabash mound,

You must get the fair Wy-nu-sa to show you where it is found!

- Genius Loci ('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')

You know, come to think of it, perhaps I should delete this log, since a ghost showed them where it was...Hmmmmm...

:):):)

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

The poem above my post, isn't the author of it the same guy we have been talking about? The first post has the a link to the guy the topic starter is complaing about? Am I miss understanding something or am I right?

-Eric

The link the OP posted takes you to the profile of caches found by the guy we are talking about, a Chicago area cacher who wrote the poem. Or am I missing something?

And I think people who post caches under one account then "find" them under a different account are .......holes. What's your point?

Thre is a difference that I can see. There is no rule that you have to log online within a certain time period, or even at all. So your .......holes are not doing anything wrong.

There *IS* however, a rule about using sockpuppets on the site, so the .......holes I'm talking about can get banned.

Hmmmmmmm......... whose the bigger .......hole?

Edited by Mopar

I've got caches still to log that I found over a year ago. I guess that makes me an ......hole. :)

Care to explain why you think those people should be labeled as such? How do their (delayed) actions affect you so dramatically that you feel moved to describe them as .......holes? :P

It's a game. Get a grip.

Whats the big deal,I go back and log my daughters finds that are six months old. If you feel he didn't find that many caches he is only cheating himself. But you also have to remember that this person is a charter member and has been caching for some time and could very well have found that many.

I say let it go and go caching.

Maybe the person forgot to log a couple back then (I know finders that are months behind in their logging), maybe they're faking finds, in the end, how much are you affected by their smiley? I wouldn't give it a second thought, myself.

I agree. Some folks take months or years to log their finds. And others totally forget about a find until something reminds them of it, perhaps years later. If you really have doubts about the validity of his find, I suggest you take a hike and visit your cache and read the log to see if he did sign it. In my experience, at least 95% of very-late online log finds are valid.

Of course, if this cacher has a reputation for claiming fake finds, or logs 200 finds across five states all on the same (find log) date, then the find claim may indeed be fake.

I have about 150 finds that I haven't gotten around to logging. Most are from May to August of 05 and about 10 are from July of 04.

I'm lazy that's for sure and truth be told, I have misplaced my notes on these finds. it DOESN't make them any less of a find NOR does it make me a "....hole!" :P

Edited by Snoogans

I echo what Stunod and SixDogTeam have already said and I'll add a little bit of my own. I've met Genius Loci several times at events and on the trails and he has always been one of, if not the, friendliest cacher you could hope to meet. The first time I met him was after I was caching for only a few months. He greeted me like I was an old timer and instantly recalled my 1 meager hide that he had found. Not only does he write very good logs, he has some very nice hides. I look forward to his logs on my caches however late they may be. BTW SixDogTeam: I've heard from a cacher that has cached with him more than a few times that he doesn't take ANY notes.

How Long Is Too Long To Log A Cache?

Almost never, unless maybe it was locked or unlisted.... It'd be nice if people would keep their find logging somewhat update, but not all do :P .

Um.... wouldn't it just mean he/she back dated the log so it shows up in the time (day) slot?

Thre is a difference that I can see. There is no rule that you have to log online within a certain time period, or even at all. So your .......holes are not doing anything wrong.

There *IS* however, a rule about using sockpuppets on the site, so the .......holes I'm talking about can get banned.

Hmmmmmmm......... whose the bigger .......hole?

Sockpuppets? :anicute:

Did you have anyone specific in mind? :yikes:

Phhhhtttt!