Gsak Question

2 folded question hope u can help.

iam using GSAK for my waypoint handling etc, i have recently released 2 new caches here in South Australia, Australia and they have not appeard in the GSAK list when i have recived updates, however they have been published on geocaching.com Is this normal/

Secondly...

I would like to form a group of caching friends so that when i (we) find caches together we can all log them . Is this normal and is it fair?

(Basically fi i go geocaching and person A (from our caching team XYZ) comes along, is it fair to log that find as a team and also as an individual?)

Question 1: Sounds like there is a problem with your pocket query. Make sure you have your pocket query set to pick up that type of cache, and that the new caches are with in the milage range of your Pocket Query.

Question 2: There are "Geocaching Teams" here in the US. in fact a good friend and his wife are a team. While I don't have or see a problem with teams, some people tend to look at it as unfair because if you go out by yourself and find a cache and log it for the team then the rest of the people get credit for a cache they didn't find. I guess it's up to you....

Q#2- You should log it either as a team find, if the team is there or as a personal find ,not both. Teams are ok for a few people who cache togrther most of the time. However it's in poor taste for people to be off caching in different locations and then everyone logging a find when they weren't even at the find.

:) Q #2. If you are Caching and the rest of the team is at work.... No, its not fair for them to log it as a find. Nor is it fair if you all are Caching and one group goes one way and the other group goes another and then you all log your finds. I say you have to be there when its found. Otherwise I can just log some of the same finds as one of my Caching buddies, hmmmm that is an idea..... I can reallt boost my numbers.

Q2: Our caching "team" consists of myself, my wife, and 2 daughters ages 14 & 3. Of our 300+ finds, our older daughter found one by herself (actually dragged her grandparents along) and my wife has found one by herself (while I was assisting via cell phone). Of the others, I might have found 10%-15% by myself (lunch time caches or while on travel). The rest were a team effort and we consider ourselves one caching unit. Since that's the way we started and that's how we cache the vast majority of the time, we have no problems logging caches this way. But I think this is a bit different from a collection of individuals who tend to cache independently and log collectively.

Question 2: There are "Geocaching Teams" here in the US. in fact a good friend and his wife are a team. While I don't have or see a problem with teams, some people tend to look at it as unfair because if you go out by yourself and find a cache and log it for the team then the rest of the people get credit for a cache they didn't find. I guess it's up to you....

that was the plan, we can only log it as a team if there are at least 2 member doing the cache. Otherwise its an individual log. If Person A & B from our team find it together it is a team find and also an individual find.

Whereas if person A found the cache by himself NO team find, just an individual.

Thanks for all your help :anicute:

2. You can log any way you want, this isn't a competition

Exactly what I was thinking! When they start making cash rewards for x number of finds, then I'll worry about the morality of logging them.

As it is, the log is just a notation that you were there...who cares if it was your eyes that actually feel upon it first?!

Cache on...and enjoy.

Edited by The Dingo ate your cache