Geocaching Around Playgrounds

TheCarterFamily

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this. I haven't figured out a good way of doing this yet.

We went to one multi-cache which was on a trail going through a park/playground. It was great for my daughter (3yr old) who played on the playground while I figured out all the components to the multi cache.

All the playgrounds around us have forests in or near them. I was thinking it would be cool for my daughter, (and other families with small children) if we had some caches near the playgrounds. That way she/they could go play after she found the "treasure".

Problem is a family with a kid poking around in the bushes and forest is ok. But a normal GeoCacher would probably get roasted for being in the area.

I just wanted to get people reaction to this while I'm still in the thinking stage...

I have kids and they enjoy finding caches near parks. As an adult on a solo caching adventure I do my best to steer clear from parks and the such, no need making the folks nervous when I am out poking around. Hide the cache well enough from the playground equipment so if anyone sees you they wont get overly concerned.

Just be sure to (1) stay away from school playgrounds -- stick to park playgrounds -- and (2) disclose on the cache page what type of cache hunt to expect. To my mind, a single adult finder can't complain if they knew what they were in for, and didn't like it. Meanwhile, a family with kids will love you for featuring the nice playground.

The most recent playground micro I found took me three attempts, since it was hidden right on the playground structure right where kids were playing. I knew what I was in for, and brought my 12 year old daughter along as "cover." When she was 8 and we first started geocaching, she would want to stay for an hour and play. But now she's 12, and I assumed she would want to bolt after we found the film canister. You might enjoy reading our log.

I don't generally approve of playground caches. (Of course, there are some very badly done ones nearby me...) They make me nervous. Adult male, carrying a strange device, searching around a playground. In many places, adults are prohibited, unless accompanied by a child. (My favorite rest stop in the Upper East Side of Manhattan now bans me!)

I guess that they're all right for cachers with children along, but you may be limiting the cache to a smallish percentage of the cachers around.

I never gave a second thought to playground caches until I was in the woods that adjoined a playground. While the tree cover wrecked havoc with my gps, I noticed 2 guys at the edge of the woods and then 2 policemen joined them. They questioned what I was doing and I gave them the caching brochure, showed them the cache, showed them some ready made caches I had in my vehicle, etc. . . They explained they were suspicious of people around the playgrounds since some pervs had been reported hanging out around them and trying to "pick up" children.

Being a single male in my 50s---

In most cases I just do not bother with caches in playgrounds unless they are open late at night when kids will not be in the playground. Add the extra time required to be in a plaground to do a multi cache and it is less likely to be a popular cache with cachers.

You should also keep in mind that Multi do not get found as frequently as regular caches and there is also the added maintanance of a multi cache whem compared to a regular cache.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

These are all good replies. Keep them comming. :)

I would be targeting familys with this series.. (if I do it) So I to realize it would be a very select few. Although after "cudlecub" expreience I think I should send a letter to the local police department to get their reaction. (they might have thoughts I haven't thought off)

It is very hard to target a cache to a select group, you really have not way to keep non familes from finding the cache. You can mention in the log that it is a cache meant for families to do, but single cacher will find it regardless.

Of course once a cache is listed there is nothing preventing anyone from trying to find it. I think many caches are intended for specific target audiences though. Unless you're burdened with way too much time (share some with me!) or are a cache fanatic who has to find every single cache in a 100 mile radius, you're likely picking and choosing which caches to look for and which to not bother with. I'd just make it clear in the listing that this is a cache near a playground. Great for families with small kids, not so great for single male cachers who will be looked at funny by some parents for wandering around a playground unaccompanied by a child.

To each his own! You'll never see me looking for many urban micros or 5 star terrain caches. There are a couple playground caches around here that I should go look for. My kids (at least my 8 year old) will love it. :)

Like JohnnyVegas, I'm a single male, mid 50's and I usually cache alone. I've gotten some strange looks from the moms when I walk near a play area, so I usually try to avoid them. My concern is when I go to the Brokeback Forest preserves around here and guys follow me!

Maybe I can rent a wife and kids for a day and solve both problems.

Just be sure to (1) stay away from school playgrounds -- stick to park playgrounds -- and (2) disclose on the cache page what type of cache hunt to expect. To my mind, a single adult finder can't complain if they knew what they were in for, and didn't like it. Meanwhile, a family with kids will love you for featuring the nice playground.

I completely agree with Lep's advice -- as long as people know it's a playground, they can plan accordingly. We've found some like that, and we've just planned them for a cold or drizzly day, or very early in the morning -- there are plenty of time-windows when a playground is likely to be empty.

My caching team placed a cache in a nearby park, and it gets pretty good reviews from finders. Some logs note that the kids loved the playground. Others comment on the challenge presented by so many muggles. It is a multi, but mostly because of poor reception at the location of the hide. The hide is within easy walking distance of the first waypoint, from which you are given distance and direction (technically, an "offset" cache, but still treated as a multi).

Before we placed the cache, we contacted the local head of parks and recreation, explained what we were planning, and got an okay. The person was familiar with caching (thanks to Snoogans and others that had put on some seminars to educate local park officials), and he quickly okayed the cache. Just something to consider.

I hate playground caches. As others have said, a single male hovering around kids' play areas does not go over well with mommies. But I say, if you like the idea, go for it. I can hunt other stuff.

I did find it quite galling when leg 20-something of a 40-step multi forced me to choose between the playground glares or finishing the task (I still haven't logged the final, FWIW). If you choose to use this idea, please let seekers know what to expect in advance.

td

It is one thing to hide a cache "near" the playground equipment and quite another to place it on or in it. Weird looks aside, I am just not comfortable taking apart playground equipment to look for a cache as at least one I saw wanted me too.

I'd never place one on a playground. Two many people could take it, too many curious kids. Kids are climbing in areas we'd never think of... Well I might... I still hang on the monkey bars. (I used the excuse I'm watching my kid. :) )

You know I wouldn't be overly uncomfortable with a single male hanging around a playground anymore then a single female. Honestly I kinda keep an eye on everyone and my child. I'm more intimidated by a group of male teens flashing signs then being around then a middle age male. Then again I live in a big city and gangs are an issue.

I think most woman just keep an eye on their surroundings and just look to let you know you've been observed. I do this walking through a grocery store parking lot or walking down the street. It's second nature as a city girl to give a good eyeball to anyone in my vicinity to say... i know your there so you can't just sneak up on me. It's something I think we unconciously learn and nothing personal. I don't think it's right to prohibit anyone from the local parks. Many times i see middle aged men and senior citizens just wondering around our parks and think nothing about it. They have every right to be out and about getting fresh air and excersize.

I'd hate to think people avoid parks for fear they are making mama's uncomfortable. I would hope that 95 percent of the time they probably are just letting you know they've observed you. Kinda curious why your poking around bushes but nothing more then that. But we do that to everyone! LOL

Oh and I love the park ones with my kiddies! We've already hit a couple where they wanted to play at and it's always nice to check out new play areas.

>> or are a cache fanatic who has to find every single cache in a 100 mile radius

I represent that remark. :anibad::laughing::huh:

And I resemble that remark :P:P:D

I also go along with "the hermit crabs". I have no problems doing playground caches but I do them when it's raining or snowing....anytime that is, when no one is in the park. I don't want to make any mamma with little ones nerveous.

As long as I am not forbidden by law to be present on the property .... I prefer to do them along with my wife. I can always put on my white hard hat complete with Groundspeak logos and if questioned ... I am conducting a safety inspection. Once I found a rusty (but still sharp) box cutting blade in the woodchips beneath a gym structure and removed it .... so I like to think I am also doing some good. :laughing: ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this. I haven't figured out a good way of doing this yet.

We went to one multi-cache which was on a trail going through a park/playground. It was great for my daughter (3yr old) who played on the playground while I figured out all the components to the multi cache.

All the playgrounds around us have forests in or near them. I was thinking it would be cool for my daughter, (and other families with small children) if we had some caches near the playgrounds. That way she/they could go play after she found the "treasure".

Problem is a family with a kid poking around in the bushes and forest is ok. But a normal GeoCacher would probably get roasted for being in the area.

I just wanted to get people reaction to this while I'm still in the thinking stage...

A note on the cache page alerting us single non-children cachers would be nice! I'm a single female and have gotten the LOOKS a mam can give, makes the blood run cold.

Edited by CamoCacher

Park playgrounds are fine. My kids like playing on them while we look for the cache. Any cache directly around the playground part of the park will soon be MIA as kids will find them. They take a bit more planning to last.

It's ok that people will look at you funny when you are crawling around in the bushes. The problem kicks in when they decide that crawling around in the bushes makes you something other than a geocacher. Most people who play sherlock holmes are wrong, but if they at least report what they see to someone who can tell what's what, that's a good thing.

I hate playground caches. As others have said, a single male hovering around kids' play areas does not go over well with mommies. But I say, if you like the idea, go for it. I can hunt other stuff.

It's so sad that our world has come to this :D , but i agree, it does make people nervous. I don't avoid such caches, but I try to hit them at off hours when there aren't many/any people around.

As long as you lay out all the pertinent info in the cache page, people can use their own judgement from there.

We just placed a cache in a nice neighborhood park with a baseball diamond, a basketball court and a soccer field. While cachers would walk on the path past the playground, the cache is hidden well away from there. I think having muggles around may add to the challenge of the find but ultimately is probably too much of a concern. I personally would not hide one near playground equipment but if I did would probably make some kind of note on the cache's page about it.

I just went to one today that I felt way to uncomfortable to attempt. Whoever placed this cache picked a very bad spot. This cache is in a tree right on the property line of this small park and the neighbors house. The neighbors house is only a matter of a few feet away from the cache.... Even though this one is in my home town, I think that I'm just going to forget about it.

I understand what people are getting at about making nervous mommies even more nervous. I'm a bit new to Geocaching and haven't done any around or in any playgrounds yet. But... I'm a avid byciclist. On my way to and from some places I'll stop in a park or playgound for a break if I need one. The thing is, is to not make yourself look suspicious. If ur not doing anything wrong, why try to make urself look like you are. I've had little kids come up and talk to me, and I've gotten some weird looks from mothers. But if you don't or aren't doing anything wrong, don't act like it.

I just went to one today that I felt way to uncomfortable to attempt. Whoever placed this cache picked a very bad spot. This cache is in a tree right on the property line of this small park and the neighbors house. The neighbors house is only a matter of a few feet away from the cache.... Even though this one is in my home town, I think that I'm just going to forget about it.

Well said ... I frequently cache in a group, so besides the strange looks we sometimes get crawling on playground equipment, people generally take us for harmless. When searching alone, I always have my GC Hat, a handy "About Geocaching" brochure, and in the case of "nervous mommies" or other "muggles", I'll sometimes introduce myself before starting the search so they know what I'm doing. On a recent hunt, I introduced myself to an older gentleman watching over some kids and we ended up spending the next hour chatting about all sorts of things ... and then ... he actually spent a few minutes helping me look for the cache. Worst case, if you're not doing anything wrong, there is nothing to worry about. If confronted, simply explain what you're doing (many police now know about geocaching) and show that the container, writeup, etc. I've been questioned a couple of times and never had a problem -- although it is a bit disconcerting when you're first approached.

At the end of the day, if the nervous mommy is still nervous, tell her you'll come back later or wait until their done playing before you begin your search. I've also had searches where it's taken me two or three trips to the location before I found it able to be searched.

I personally avoid doing the so called "Play Ground Caches".

Hunting SOLO and being a male I always avoid doing the caches near the play ground. If I pull up to a cache site and know it will be a play ground cache I will just drive right on by without stopping. It is sad that the world has become so paranoid.

If you do place this cache please do advise what type of area that it will be in so others can decide for themselfs if it something they want to look for.

How sad is it when single guys are afraid to go to a park? :mad:

I'm 31 and I love going to the park. I still love going down the slide. But then again I usually bring my daughter and use the "excuse" I'm just helping her... :( I wish I could fit in the MacDonalds playland... :mad:

What can I say I'm a big kid at heart. Who says I can't still climb trees!

I don't know if that would really be a problem or that I would be so concerned about that. Unless you are talking about specific situations near you that I am not aware of. I do a lot of metal detecting and one of my favorite areas to search are the playgrounds. Even around schools. While they don't yeild much of huge value, they are interesting in the types of things I find. Zipper pulls from jackets. It is amazing how many different ones there are. I have never found 2 the same. Odd trinkets and toys that kids might have in their pockets, foriegn coins and arcade tokens... diecast cars, loose change and cheap children's jewelry. Usually plastic with a metalic plating or paint on them. Just enough to register on a detector. Anyway, I have never been stopped or bothered by anyone. Occasionally kids will come up and watch me and parent's might look at me a little funny but I find it more curioscity. Most are polite and all but may think I am a little wierd. They know what I am doing and often are curious if I am finding anything. Around here, they may just think it is a bit of a waste of good time and all. Besides, whenever children come up to play, I tend to move on as I don't want to be the subject of such attention. Also, the play lots are theirs and built and intended for them so I just get out of their way. Now that it is staying light out longer. I often can come back again later when they have gone home to bed or come out in the morning when they are off at school. Unless it is a school that I am detecting or searching. Whether Metal Detecting or Geocaching. If the cache or whatever is near a school don't go there during school hours. Also recognize that these days, schools often are open earlier for early drop off of children and active late with after school activities so kids can have a safe haven while parents are at work. Faculty and staff will be alert to strange people lingering around. Schools are best left for weekends or later in the evenings.

I can see having some caches around playgrounds. That could be good for families and children, as you describe. I wouldn't discourage someone from going to search one out though, just because they aren't there with kids. I would caution about placement of caches around such areas though. You don't want to place a cache where some kid, or other Muggle type, will accidentally stumble accross it. Hide your caches well and while near, keep them away from actual play equipment and all. Unless you can be really clever and creative. Also, especially around schools, be careful of the type of container you use. Try and make it transparant and label it to the fact that it is a Geocache, so someone will know what it is and not get overly anxious over this strange box or container hiddne under a bush.

It is one thing to hide a cache "near" the playground equipment and quite another to place it on or in it. Weird looks aside, I am just not comfortable taking apart playground equipment to look for a cache as at least one I saw wanted me too.

This is something that I have a concern about looking at a thread about cache containers. Some seem ingenious but there is one common thing that bugs me. When someone goes to Home Depot and buys some conduite or some PVC Pipe and all the fittings to put together a fake electric box or something and drives it into the ground in some bushes.... Or, puts a utility box on a pole and hides their cache in it. Maybe I am overly concerned but it seems that it might start to encourage people to get too close to some dangerous utility devices and I cringe at the thought that some guy might start to dismantal an electric outlet thinking it is fake and zzzzzAPPPPP!!!! There are also a couple, I have seen with hollowed out bolts in guard rails along highways or what have you. Anything that encourages someone to dismantal something seems, to me anyways, a little risky.

1) Not every cache has to be placed to be found by everyone. I noted the "do not approve of playground caches" and "you place it there, you are limited to a select few." Like a scuba cache, a cache on a rugged mountaintop, and other such caches are not for a select few? That is the joy of geocaching, that there is something for everybody, and everything in between.

2) As a cacher who caches frequently with his toddler daughter (and soon boy-well, 7 months as "soon" until I get out of confinement, since he's getting his geocaching legs under him), we revel in a playground cache that has a lot of adventure in finding the cache, and then getting to play on new equipment with new faces, too. Cheap entertainment the entire family can enjoy.

3) Experienced solo cachers know to hit a playground on a rainy day. Few, if any families, are around. Now, the Chuck E. Cheese parking lot caches may be a bit difficult on these rainy days....