Easiest Way To Hollow Out A Log?

bonnjer

Has anyone taken a small, solid log and hollowed it out to place a cylindrical container inside it? If so, how did you hollow the log? I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to create the opening, but would certainly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with actually doing it. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Has anyone taken a small, solid log and hollowed it out to place a cylindrical container inside it? If so, how did you hollow the log? I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to create the opening, but would certainly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with actually doing it. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I've seen someone wrap Birch bark from a dead, fallen tree around a cylindrical container. It was a great hide! I've also seen people glue sections of bark on a container to camoflage it. Worked 'ok'.

Please be careful how you go about securing that log, for the sake of geocaching. I think it is a great idea, just do it as responsibly as you can. Use a dead, fallen log, take the section home with you, then return it to teh woods when you've done. I have also seen people 'hollow out' rotten logs, but all you needed was a stick amd you could do it in-field, as the stuff crumbles apart. :D

Two ideas here, but you'll need some power tools.

1. Using a band saw, cut the log in half lengthwise, then hollow out as much as you want using a wood chisel. Glue the halves back together.

2. Use a large Forstner bit and make multiple cuts to the size you want. You'll need a drill press and vise for the larger bits.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

Unfortunately, this isn't for a film cannister. The container I want to put inside the log is 4.75 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches tall.

Don't worry New England noob, I don't plan on chopping down anyone's tree or anything like that. :D I've got some pieces of my own to use.

Any other ideas on things that you've done would be appreciated! I'd love to hear any and all thoughts. Thanks!

1. Using a band saw, cut the log in half lengthwise, then hollow out as much as you want using a wood chisel. Glue the halves back together.

2. Use a large Forstner bit and make multiple cuts to the size you want. You'll need a drill press and vise for the larger bits.

I like this method, especially since you are using a log you already have - you can work to your hearts content without being spied upon by suspicious nosy-bodies.

For a large container, try cutting the top off with a chainsaw or bandsaw (makes prettier cuts) - just a few inches.

The cut the log in quarters with the chain or bandsaw.

Now cut the insides of the quarters off squared.

Then reassemble the log. The inside is now completely hollow.

Put the top that you cut off over the top of the hollowed log. Now it's invisible. (you can do the same thing on the bottom if you like.

Build a rotating pin hinge to allow the top section to rotate off the hollow section if you like.

Just an observation from caches I have found (bottom hollowed out in the bottom and container glued in holes); make sure the ends of the logs are not clean cut. The last one I found had the same kind of tree near by. However, I saw the log and there were not any others that had been cut (like for firewood) and it was a dead giveaway.

Not going to give any help, the best methods have been mentioned other than having a rabid hampster gnaw out the innards.

The best hollow log I have seen to date is one that was hollow to begin with, the hider cleaned things up a bit and shoved a section of PVC inside and filled it in with expanding foam to lock it in place then covered the ends with natural debris.

The only way I found it is when I rested my foot on it and it moved, I heard a "tink" - a log does not "tink" when moved.

i've done this with one of my caches. i took a piece of firewood(a round) and cut about 3" off the top. then i took the container and used the biggest end to make a pattern for a circle. once i had a circle i could start cleaning out the log. i used a drill and a 1.5" spade bit to go around the circle and then i worked my way to the center. when i had it bored out, i drilled a hole in the center of the bottom for drainage and attached the 3" top with a hinge. i've had many people enjoy this cache. it takes them a few minutes to find it. when i first placed it, my wife saw me put it out. then i sent her in to find it. she couldn't. have fun with it.

My first cache is a similar to what you are asking about. I used a drill w/ a 1' spade bit to get the the majority of the material out. (takes some practice to keep from getting banged up) Then used a chisel to clean up the sides. It only took a couple hours from start to finish. I wanted it to fit snug so the actual container stays inside, the lid is removed only. If you don't care about that, then drill like a madman and save even more time. Most of my time spent was test fitting for snug, chisel some, test again.

I am in the process of a similar idea... Taking a log from my wood pile and cutting it in half lengthwise... Then I am going to take a chisel and hammer to make a matching pocket in both haves but leaving the ends full... I am going to recess and attach hinges on the inside to rejoin the two halves together. Finally a small gasp on the out side to put a small combination lock. Somehow I will camoflauge the lock and external hasp. Going to be a puZzle cache for the combination.

+1.

This is how I would do it.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

Unfortunately, this isn't for a film cannister. The container I want to put inside the log is 4.75 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches tall.

Don't worry New England noob, I don't plan on chopping down anyone's tree or anything like that. :D I've got some pieces of my own to use.

Any other ideas on things that you've done would be appreciated! I'd love to hear any and all thoughts. Thanks!

We have a cache, half gallon container, that's hidden inside a log that i hollowed out. It's placed to look like a stump sticking out of the ground.

Not for everyone as it can be a bit dangerous because of kickback. I found that the best, and really fast way, is to use a chainsaw. Makes it easy to put larger containers into. Won't post here but i can send my technique if you're interested.

I've seen someone wrap Birch bark from a dead, fallen tree around a cylindrical container.
This is the approach I took with one of my caches, although I used eucalyptus bark rather than birch bark. Whatever trees shed thin, flexible pieces of bark in your area will work just fine. Here are some photos from the construction...

Step 0: a wide-mouth bottle & a slice of a branch

75934115-1f19-47f5-baf4-8b6342ef6c3d.jpg

Step 1: tape, washers, screws, & slice of a branch

de71249f-aeb7-4683-8f88-8651ca98252f.jpg

Step 2: taping the slice of a branch to the bottle

0be691a9-5d21-4f8a-9253-cb01335dad20.jpg

Step 3: gluing bark to the bottle

aec7eca5-e7fe-4434-aa0c-c88fbfbf6654.jpg

Step 4: logbook, labeled lid, excess bark trimmed

37ecaa62-3829-4b3f-bd1d-8d2f4d631520.jpg

Step 5: cache hidden with lid out of view

16a7259b-4fe2-4619-abbe-7c76a3236742.jpg

We had a bike trail series once, and most the stages (except the first/final) were holes drilled in small logs with a forstner bit, and a matchstick holder tapped in/epoxied.

Most were cedar and lasted around five years before they were replaced with new(er).

We have a larger log (a stump really) that we haven't used yet.

I simply topped it and made nose cuts inside with a little electric chainsaw to accomodate a 50cal.

A 12" spike's on one end of the top for it to swivel away.