New Category

Since "Bird watching locations" could be a category interesting to international users, I would suggest to go in that direction. However, "The Great Florida Birding Trail" seems to be unique enough to be its own category (similar to historical markers). Either way it is a great idea.

There was an earlier "Birdwatching Proposal" by ecocyclist

Catagory Proposal: Bird Watching Locations

ecocyclist

post Jan 26 2006, 05:25 PM

Post #1

Don't drive... bike!

Any locations good for birdwatching. This catagory would be helpful to any birders out there. There should be a valid reason WHY a waymark is good for birdwatching, e.g. if there are 15 or so resident species.

Earlier link to Catagory Proposal: Bird Watching Locations

There was an earlier "Birdwatching Proposal" by ecocyclist

There were sadly a lot of good ideas that got lost in the old boards when we switched here (there were a lot of proposals that never got put in during the random additions and the original creators seem to have gone awal) I hope some more people come around and start resurecting some of them because some of them were really good... bird watching is definitely something that SHOULD be in Waymarking... but jeremy is right, this needs to be as broad as possible... global is better! (can't remember who said that hehehe).

I'd like to keep this one Florida specific for several reasons. There are numerous sites throughout the state so this one won't be considered too limited in scope; there are currently 450+ locations and new sites are added every year. The referenced project is managed by the state's fish and wildlife agency, which has a widespread reputation for excellence, so the project will not be short-lived. And I think that the overall point of interest is different enough from a general category of worldwide birdwatching areas that both categories can function independently. Thanks.

You need to change your category name if you plan to make it for a specific program. I see no issue with being specific to the program itself but your category name is too broad.

"Great Florida Birding Trail Sites" would be more appropriate.

There, of course, is still room for an international bird watching location category. Someone just needs to sponsor it and get a following to start it.