Do You Log What You Take From A Cache?

I've maintained a cache of mine 4 times since first putting it out. Each time I've dropped in an expensive signature item. Yet the logs, both written and on-line, reveals no one to have taken the sig item - eyt they've obviously been removed. Granted, I put them there to be taken, but it'd be nice to know who got them (and hopefully their reaction to the find!). Is it common to TNLNSL regardless of what you actually do?

Edited by Ghengis Jon

There is no 'rule' that says you have to note what you left/took. If you choose to do so, fine. If not, fine.

Now "TNLN" means 'Took Nothing, Left Nothing'. That's fine, too. I've done that at times. But you should only note that if you took nothing and left nothing.

Is it common to TNLNSL regardless of what you actually do?

I think most people who say they TNLN actually do. Many others just don't mention the trade. . As an owner I like when others do mention their trades. It helps me get an idea as to what is left in the cache. Because of that I usually do log my trade.

I always log trades. When I take something, I like to look back and see who left it and when. Ditto if there's something strange or interesting in a cache that I don't take. When I leave something, it gives me real pleasure when somebody logs that they picked it up. And I have on occasion expressly gone to a cache because I saw something dropped in it that I wanted (usually a coin or token).

I always log trades. When I take something, I like to look back and see who left it and when. Ditto if there's something strange or interesting in a cache that I don't take. When I leave something, it gives me real pleasure when somebody logs that they picked it up. And I have on occasion expressly gone to a cache because I saw something dropped in it that I wanted (usually a coin or token).

My thoughts exactly!

I've maintained a cache of mine 4 times since first putting it out. Each time I've dropped in an expensive signature item. Yet the logs, both written and on-line, reveals no one to have taken the sig item - eyt they've obviously been removed. Granted, I put them there to be taken, but it'd be nice to know who got them (and hopefully their reaction to the find!). Is it common to TNLNSL regardless of what you actually do?

I will always log the trade or TNLN...I know as a owner of caches, I appreciate reading that a cache finder, TNLN or did some trading and if they are excited about the transaction...It seems like the right thing to do :)

Edited by Wild Thing 73

Hmm, I'd have to answer D-all of the above. :)

I rarely trade items, it isn't why I'm out caching. I always carry a few trinkets and some unusual money like SBA$'s and weegies, and the occasional $2 bill. This way I'm prepared for the occasional time there is something in a cache I care to take. I'll move the occasional TB, but sometimes will just leave them in the cache too if I'm not in the mood.

I almost never log TNLNSL-I think it's a little rude. Sometimes I'll log online what I traded (if I did) sometimes I'll just type what I saw, heard, etc. on the way to the cache. Same with the paper log-sometimes I'll write a nice story, sometimes I don't. :) I do think the more interesting my experience is, the more interesting my logs tend to be.

I generally just sign and date the paper log, and write my trades/story online. I figure many hiders don't read the paper logs much, but check thier e-mail often. Besides, it saves more room in the log for more cachers. An exception to this would be an exceptional wilderness cache.

I like to personally thank a cacher, by email, when they leave something really unusual or cool in the cache. It is easier to do this if they have logged the item online, but I will follow up after reading the cache log too.

If I leave something unique in a cache, I usually put the cache on my watchlist so that I can read the logs of the finders to see if anyone has any comments about the item that I had left.

We always log in the book and online. We like to see what was in a cache orignally and what's been traded. It helps us choose what to put in our own caches as well as see what was scooped up quickly that we left behind. It's also a nice courtesy to the person who went through the trouble to put that cache there for you to leave a little feedback. If a cache placement took hours of planning (sometimes days) and days of scouting (sometimes weeks), then a few moments to log the details seems like the least we can do to keep up the good spirits of the cachers who gave us an adventure. Otherwise they may not feel too compeled to continue leaving quality caches for us in the future. It also helps to keep up the trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all in perspective. :)

It depends. When I'm caching alone I usually log what I traded both in the log and on-line. If I'm caching with my nieces and nephews I usually can't keep track of who traded what where - I'm busy just making sure they trade just one item and trade up or even. I'll note in the logs that we traded, but not specific items, unless it is something unique or something we really liked.

Now I haven't been geocaching long, and I only have one cache out there at the moment, but I like to place a number of goodies that I think everyone of all ages would enjoy.

I've had a wooden puzzle, a boxing frog, signature pens *gold and silver with soft grip*, a treasure chest full of teddy bear ink stamps, a book of stamps, Hotwheel cars, and even a calculator or two, not to mention two decks of traveling playing cards in their own case, just to name a few items.

To date, since I've placed the cache, I've had a number of emails and logs stating that it's been one of the best cache's around my area. I try to mantain her every week, adding to it when it runs low, or when people trade down, instead of up or even. I've checked the logs every time I fill her up, and almost everyone that's logged have left a short note, stating what they took and left behind.

Or I receive an email from them. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, after reading this post.

Oh there's always a few that take something and leave nothing, or leave something no other cacher would want.

*Found an acorn not long ago and the place is full of pine trees.*

Geocaching squirrels?

But all in all I've had pretty good luck with my logs and cache. So far! *Knocks on wood and prays to the Geocaching Gods.*

I just wish a little girl would take that darn stuffed doll home. I could use the room for more things if she found a great home. Hmmm? Maybe I should add a TB around her neck. I'll bet she'd disappear in a heart beat then. :P

And when I Geocache, I always log and try to trade up. Most of the time though I just add to the cache because there's nothing in the cache but swag.

Though here of late I haven't had time too, due in part to a bad back. But I'm healing quickly and will be out there signing logs and trading up again real soon.