Something New

geopeitur301

I have some new ideas - extra attributes and waypoints in cache's page.

Attributes what to add:

*Compass required (if some cache's solution needs compass or it helps orienteering in the deep forest)

*WIFI area (wireless internet area - this information helps to log cache finds near to the cache and outdoor)

*Torch required (it's good to know because some caches are in deep hiding-place and this information helps)

*Pencil required (very important with some micro-caches, sometimes we can not log due not having pencil)

Waypoints what to add:

*Local area map/information board (very good information during caching, helps to vosit some other places)

*Sightseeing (very nice information during caching, it's good to visit interesting places during caching)

*Nearest gas station/shop/restaurant (also important information in uninhabited area, it helps also a lot)

I hope that some of my ideas will be available soon...

I think that "flashlight/torch required" has been commented on favorably as a desirable addition to the set of cache attributes. "Compass" I don't recall seeing before. "Pen or pencil required" -- it's good practice to carry one to ALL caches, as even regular-sized ones have frozen pens in winter, leaky pens in summer, and pencils with dull or broken points year-round.

The other suggestions seem better suited for Waymarking categories, as they are not directly related to the cache. There's a link to click on each cache page to call up a list of nearby waymarks. That will already work for established Waymarking categories like WiFi hotspots, and will work for commercial places like gas stations and restaurants if that is the direction in which Waymarking goes (or a subset of Waymarking). In fact, if too much information about nearby restaurants and gas stations is included as part of the cache page, it runs the risk of preventing publication due to the "no commercial solicitations" section of the Geocache Listing Guidelines. There are no such restrictions over at the sister Waymarking site. Finally, even if there were a "restaurant nearby" atttribute, it would still require explanation in the text of the cache page. Attributes are better suited for yes/no things like whether dogs are allowed in the park, not things which require supplemental explanations.

Attributes what to add:

*Compass required (if some cache's solution needs compass or it helps orienteering in the deep forest)

*Torch required (it's good to know because some caches are in deep hiding-place and this information helps)

*Pencil required (very important with some micro-caches, sometimes we can not log due not having pencil)

A compass, a small torch and a pencil or pen is something I carry always with me when caching. They are just as vital to caching as my GPSr. I fon't mind if those were attributes, but they are in a way redundant information as I would carry them anyway.

Edited by oh2th

Waypoints what to add:

*Local area map/information board (very good information during caching, helps to vosit some other places)

*Sightseeing (very nice information during caching, it's good to visit interesting places during caching)

*Nearest gas station/shop/restaurant (also important information in uninhabited area, it helps also a lot)

I hope that some of my ideas will be available soon...

Now I don't see why we can't have a small icon, like we have in the Attributes, showing a gas pump for a gas station, or a fork and spoon for a restaurant. That would not be called advertising a busness, only pointing out that such a place is near by. We have one for public restrooms, and phones. We even have one for a scenic view.

So those two icons could be added, without advertizing the business, only pointing out their existence.

I know while caching I've glanced down to see my gas tank on empty or my stomach growling because I forgot to eat. *Blame the empty tank and stomach on the wife*

It would be nice to know I won't be walking home, on an empty stomach. :)