Non-officer "approved" Waymark

Yesterday I received the first Waymark in the "Monarchs of the World" Category... from Bruce S.

I approved it about 5 minutes after he submitted it. I then sent a note to request he correct a minor typo.

Everything seemed fine.... until this morning...

I got an Email from another Officer in the Group asking me "What am I missing? I see the Waymark placed by Bruce S, and he approved it himself??? He's not in the Group, how did that happen?"

I went and looked... sure enough, the Waymark I approved now said that Bruce S approved it. I really doubt he did (especially since Bruce is not in the Monarch's Group)

The red text across the top of the Waymark said "This Waymark has already been approved by Bruce S" or something like that...

So I re-approved it... not knowing what I should do.

Weird.

:P The Blue Quasar

Yesterday I received the first Waymark in the "Monarchs of the World" Category... from Bruce S.

I approved it about 5 minutes after he submitted it. I then sent a note to request he correct a minor typo.

Everything seemed fine.... until this morning...

I got an Email from another Officer in the Group asking me "What am I missing? I see the Waymark placed by Bruce S, and he approved it himself??? He's not in the Group, how did that happen?"

I went and looked... sure enough, the Waymark I approved now said that Bruce S approved it. I really doubt he did (especially since Bruce is not in the Monarch's Group)

The red text across the top of the Waymark said "This Waymark has already been approved by Bruce S" or something like that...

So I re-approved it... not knowing what I should do.

Weird.

:P The Blue Quasar

Don't worry I didn't approve it though I did get another approval email at 8:55 this morning. This goes along with the approval email at 12:08 pm yesterday.

BruceS,

Just out of curiosity, when you first submitted this waymark, did you have the "Make ... visible in directory" checkbox set? Did you first do a "Save Without Submitting", or did you click "Submit Waymark for Approval"?

I believe I used the "Save Without Submitting" so I could upload the pictures and rewrite the html before submitting for approval. Once I had modified the html I clicked "Submit Waymark for Approval".

BruceS,

Just out of curiosity, when you first submitted this waymark, did you have the "Make ... visible in directory" checkbox set? Did you first do a "Save Without Submitting", or did you click "Submit Waymark for Approval"?

I believe I used the "Save Without Submitting" so I could upload the pictures and rewrite the html before submitting for approval. Once I had modified the html I clicked "Submit Waymark for Approval".

Interesting.

I asked because in the situation I mentioned above, the person who submitted the waymark which ended up being self approved also appears to have used the "Save Without Submitting" option first.

BruceS,

We are working on this issue. Hopefully it will be corrected by the end of the day. Sorry for the confusion.

I also have a problem with the "Save Without Submitting" feature. When I used it I had everything filled in on by Bed & Breakfast submission except the coords and the photo. When I went back to look at it it shows as an asterisk without a name at the beginning of the “My Waymarks” page. When I opened it the site had dropped all of the information including the waymark name that I had input except for the address in the address variable and the web address in the URL variable. I used my back button, added the coordinates and some other info in the long description then resubmitted using the "Submit for Approval" button. All of the original info that was lost was saved this time but none of the items I added in. It also will not allow me to edit the waymark at this time and I get an "empty file" error message when I try to edit. So now I have two waymarks in the Atlantic one entitled * and the other entitled Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast, Eugene Oregon.

edit for clarity.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

When I first reviewed Bruce S's submission, it was complete with images. I didn't see it before he had completed his editing.

He edited the minor typo after I approved it.

Both times of email that Bruce presented match the times that I approved it

:D The Blue Quasar

P.S.: Cache_Test_Dummies: Gee I keep doing that to you don't I... I honestly don't mean to

P.S.: Cache_Test_Dummies: Gee I keep doing that to you don't I... I honestly don't mean to

:D

No problem - I probably should have started a separate topic for this when it first happened rather then lumping it in with the discussions of all the other bugs. And then I forgot about it completely. So I was glad to see it brought up again in its own topic.

OK, we've discovered what the issue is, and now are working to fix it.

The problem is not that the user is able to approve his own waymarks. What happens is that once a waymark is approved, a the approved user id is accidentally changed to the waymark owner's user id when the owner makes additional updates to his waymark (after it is already visible in the directory). So it appears that the user approved his own waymark, when in fact he did not.

Cache_Test_Dummies:

That's my fear too... is that a new issue or bug or suggestion gets inserted into another thread and missed.

But I am terrible at looking for previous threads on a similar topic.

I know my limitations, and I live within them.

:D The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar