What Is Your Greatest Fear While Geocaching?

Biggest fear: getting stopped by some cop who:

1) doesn't know what geocaching is

2) searches me & my backpack, only to find a bunch of dollar-store trickets and...

3) ...assumes I'm trying to lure some unsuspecting children to my car with promises of travel games, keychains and water pistols! DOH!

Edited by af895

Biggest fear: getting stopped by some cop who:

1) doesn't know what geocaching is

2) searches me & my backpack, only to find a bunch of dollar-store trickets and...

3) ...assumes I'm trying to lure some unsuspecting children to my car with promises of travel games, keychains and water pistols! DOH!

Hire a good attorney ... you'll be fine. Unless of course the cops find weapons grade plutonium in your backpack.

Sheesh...I was looking at some caches in the area I'll be traveling to tomorrow. The one cache said that I should probably be packing because there were bums in the area. Don't think I'll be doing this one.

Packing cause of bums in the area? Packing spare change?

My son is young (18 months old) so I worry about him the most. I don't want him to come across poison ivy or get ate alive by mosquitoes. I don't like when there's too many muggles around, because I'm afraid I'll give the cache away and it will be vandalized. I didn't worry too much about other people in the woods until I read this thread.

Edited by Brayden's Brigade

Running into a large rattlesnake with a very tiny, nearly-silent rattle :laughing: :

c46d5e10-92a0-4167-b402-fbd825b5975e.jpg

And then trying to sign the logbook for a cache guarded, rather successfully, by another rattlesnake :laughing: :

a627f909-f56e-4ea5-8681-6958ebb739ec.jpg

hey, did you know when its wet out, and a rattlers rattles are wet, you cant hear them, they are rattling but because of what the rattles are made of, it takes all the sound out and you cant hear them!!

Car problems after finding the cache? Dealt with that one. Came back from a DNF cache hunt to find I had a flat tire. It was a problem because I was about 2 miles offroad and I had a flat 2 days before, I was already riding on my spare. All due to my stupidity but I still made it out ok.

Dead bodies? Never found a human before but I did run across a big dead horse in the middle of the trail. Very creepy to come around the corner to find something that big, that unexpected and that dead. It had just expired too because we ran across some other hikers that had seen it at another location earlier that day. At that moment in time our greatest fear was being too close to a free meal for other woodland predators.

I do have a very pretty mouth so Deliverance style rednecks top my list.

I really only fear snakes during those brief moments I'm groping into a crevice to locate the cache.

Giant man-eating squabs also have to be one of the funniest and scariest things ever

I was in a remote area of a park today hunting for a cache with my bf, when suddenly, four guys came around us from different directions weelding what COULD be used as weapons.... THAT was a bit scary.... one moment when i wished i had forgotten my GPS, Camera, PDA, phone etc at home!! (the guys were just passing by though... phew!)

beside the humans, it's pretty scary walking across very uneven field where 200 cows are following you and you realise you are wearing something red (even through i know it's not red that pi$$ them off... fear is hardly ever logical)...

beside animals, slipping and falling into a BIG nettle bush when i'm wearing sleevless tops... thus why i usually take a jumper with me even in mid-summer.

Getting into argument that bf walks off..... i would hate that the most!

Down under we have many dangerous creatures to worry about in the bush. During the course of my long caching career I have been confronted with many frightening critters.

Snakes are really not a great worry, even though we have most of the worlds deadliest roaming around and I see them regularly. Spiders are more of a worry, the funnel web is quite often found in leaf litter and has a very nasty bite. of course nothing compares to the bite of a saltwater crocodile, just today we have had another person devoured by a saltie while on a fishing trip. I think that makes about 3 so far this year.

But with all this , I'm more scared of my own stupidity than anything else. It's taking silly chances and doing crazy things that is the greatest danger. Climbing out on to unstable cliff lines or crawling across slippery rocks. Or not wearing proper clothes and footwear. Not telling people where you are going or knowing the first thing about first aid if anything does go wrong. These are things you need to be concerned about. Out in the bush just remember you are your own worst enemy.

Happyand safe caching to all :grin:

:) Mine was that someone would get hurt at one of my caches even though I have been very careful where I place them - well it happened! GCWX82. I feel terrible! :grin: There is an easier way to go in and I did post a warning. Now not sure if I should pull the cache or??? I did have a 4 on the terrain. Any advice? Edited by lonesumdove

:) Mine was that someone would get hurt at one of my caches even though I have been very careful where I place them - well it happened! GCWX82. I feel terrible! :grin: There is an easier way to go in and I did post a warning. Now not sure if I should pull the cache or??? I did have a 4 on the terrain. Any advice?

I understand what you're feeling. I'm about to place my first cache and the thought weighs heavily. That said ......

Pull the cache, NO WAY! From the description you jumped through all the necessary hoops to place a cache in a very special place and you were VERY clear about the dangers. I would imagine everyone, including the injured, would be dissappointed to see it go away. Note the first thing the guy did after he left the hospital ..... hit more caches. Accidents happen and sometimes at the most unlikely caches. Earlier this year I found a cache that I gauged to be VERY EASY terrain but a another visitor slipped on some pinestraw and broke several bones in one leg. Every cacher knows the risks and accepts them willfully.

It appears now that that cache container (a very nice ammo can I got from an event with custom camo job) from that spot may have been muggled. Man, I am getting real tired of my caches being stolen or trashed. I think I am going to quit hiding them. Bumming me out. My daughter and I will have to head back out there tomorrow and decide if we should replace. Thanks for the reply IG!