How Do You Log Your Find In The Field?

I feel lucky, I use already use an Olympus Voice Recorder for work, shopping lists, movies to see, etc. Call me a geek if you wish, but I really like it!

So, it's no trouble to keep it handy while caching, recording my finds for the day until I can get home and put 'em on the site.

I go as 'paperless' as possible in my life. I hate writing notes, and get writer's cramp in just a few minutes. My handwriting is atrocious!

Just did six caches the other day, doubling my total! I can't imagine some of these people that do a dozen or more in one day, trying to keep notes in the field, and decipher them when they get home!

So, how do YOU do it? Just a good memory, or a notebook? Anyone else use a voice recorder?

Thanks, all!

Mike

O-

After you mark the cache as "found" in the geocaching mode, the newer Garmin models will put the found cache on the calendar for the day it was found. When you get home, open the calendar, click on the day and there is a list of the found caches.

Edited by Klatch

Combination of good memory and using the notes field in my 60c for anything special or tb #'s. As already posted, the calendar function keeps track of the ones I have found, and I put a DNF into the notes and mark it as found to keep me organized. I also have the laptop in the car with GSAK running and use the note function in it for data I need to complete some of the series caches around here. I'm in the middle of four of them right now. :P I had hoped to do one or two to completion yesterday, but it just didn't happen. I found about 20 and DNF'd about 5.

When I go on a big number run with Team CHB it's a combination of palms, GSAK, and voice recorder.

Edited by wimseyguy

I use my GPS icons to mark found/ DNF and so on, then my memory for the rest.

I do have trouble with puzzle clues, I visit caches with a code, enter them into the GPS, and forget and delete the PQ before copying it. I want to go all paperless, so maybe when I find a PDA that will help.

Just did six caches the other day, doubling my total! I can't imagine some of these people that do a dozen or more in one day, trying to keep notes in the field, and decipher them when they get home!

So, how do YOU do it? Just a good memory, or a notebook? Anyone else use a voice recorder?

We either log them as we find them using my Nokia 7710, or then just jot down small notes on the cache printouts we normally use.

I use Cache Log Book to log my finds on my pda. It is a great companion application to Plucker.

You'll find a few other similar palm database programs for geocaching if you do a Googla search.

The website linked to from Freeware is coming up 404 Not Found. Did some searching and finally found a link on the North Michigan Geocacher website where it could be downloaded:

Cache Log Book

As I get to do one or two caches at a time in our area, I've been using the Mark I Cerebral Device. Otherwise, I do have my Palm and Cachemate, and am going to lok at the Cache Log Book.

JohnTee

I usually have my Palm with me, running Cachemate, but last Saturday I found myself at what I thought would be a quick grab only to realize that the site only had the coordinates for the next leg. Since it was close I left the Palm in the car and didn't have anything to note the coords on, so i saved them as numbers in my cell phone.

I would love to go paperless someday but for now, I just write down notes on the cache printout that I take with me. But I never thought about using my MP3 player to take voice notes. That's a great idea. I just might try that. Of course, I dread taking another expensive electronic device of mine out into the woods but it might be worth it.

One of these days, it's gonna be just me and my PDA/CacheMate out there. That's the goal anyway.

I use Cache Log Book to log my finds on my pda. It is a great companion application to Plucker.

You'll find a few other similar palm database programs for geocaching if you do a Googla search.

The website linked to from Freeware is coming up 404 Not Found. Did some searching and finally found a link on the North Michigan Geocacher website where it could be downloaded:

Cache Log Book

As I get to do one or two caches at a time in our area, I've been using the Mark I Cerebral Device. Otherwise, I do have my Palm and Cachemate, and am going to lok at the Cache Log Book.

JohnTee

Good catch. It looks like rjrudy's having some website issues.

I haven't gone paperless yet. I use GSAK to manage and download the waypoints to my GPSr, and always update it with my finds.

I take a print out of the cache info from GC.com. I now include the decrypted hints and the last 5 logs. This really helps with tricky ones. For more urban ones, I now also include a street map from mapquest so I know where I'm driving to. (the little map on the cache pages isn't enough).

Then I take the caches I want to hit that day, and try to organize them for my drive. I've heard of a program that will map out a driving route for you, but don't know name, etc. of it.

As I hit each one, I bring the printout with my GPSr. I fold the paper to 8.5 x 5.5, and use it to 'hide' my GPSr. This is useful in urban areas to keep hidden.

Then I note on the paper what happened. F# for that day or DNF# for that day. I also note the TB I take, drop, and anything else of interest (problems, neat things, etc).

Later, I take those papers and log my finds on GC.com. I like noting that the cache is find X for that day, and usually give a 'score' with the log for the last find & dnf for that day ("today's score: F X, DNF Y").

I then chuck the printouts of my finds, and keep the DNF for a subsequent attempt(s).

I also have a large geocache notebook which I record all my caches found. (with name, location, GCxxx, TB found/dropped, problems, etc).

Even tho we have the Treo650 loaded with all the caches in the area in cachemate, We use our trusty 60 CS to log with. Simply mark it found and when we get home, look at the ones in the found directory.

Since other than a 100 cache run of a series a couple weeks ago, our most finds for a day sits around 30 it's not too hard to remember the details. YET!

As I get to do one or two caches at a time in our area, I've been using the Mark I Cerebral Device.

JohnTee

Wow! Never heard of that one! How much do they cost? Can you get them on eBay? How much memory do they have? Are they heavy? Easy to use?

:D

Mike

O-

I'm 90% paper free!

I just can't break myself of that one last piece of paper. I draw a crude map with stars for the caches, then jot down the waypoint names of all the ones I'm thinking about, with parking coords and any other bits of information that I want to have at a glance. Then I can jot down trades and little things I don't want to forget on the same piece of paper as I cache.

I love Cachemate. I love my Clié. But I want that one little piece of papyrus to hold it all together.

When I attended my first and only Cache Machine a couple years back, I used an Olympus recorder so I wouldn't have to fumble around with a notebook. I had a Palm along with the appropriate maps and paperwork to support the all day hunt.

Today, I'm using an IPaq PPC with a recorder, wifi, irda, and Bluetooth built in, along with GPXSonar and Pocket Streets and Trips for my urban map, with GSAK supporting me on the PC. For hikes, I have a topo image saved to the PPC to act as a backup to the paper topo map on the trail (I have no problem with dropping a piece of paper.)

The beauty with my setup is I also use the MeriPlat GPS. So If I need to load a new set of waypoints from the GPX files on the PPC, that's about a 3-5 minute update process. My phone is Bluetooth capable, so if I'm not near a wifi source, I can still modem to the Internet.

Edited by TotemLake

I feel lucky, I use already use an Olympus Voice Recorder for work, shopping lists, movies to see, etc. Call me a geek if you wish, but I really like it!

So, it's no trouble to keep it handy while caching, recording my finds for the day until I can get home and put 'em on the site.

I go as 'paperless' as possible in my life. I hate writing notes, and get writer's cramp in just a few minutes. My handwriting is atrocious!

Thanks, all!

Mike

O-

I don't use hints, or the page. I just plain old cache, with a GPS with 1,000 waypoints loaded...

I copy the pertinent infomation from the geochaching.com page of the cache I'll be looking for into WordPerfect and save it. Then I take that page with me. I usually take 2 to 4 pictures at the cache site. When I get home I paste those pictures into my saved Wordperfect page along with the date found, what I took or left, etc. I've numbered them beginning with 001. This give me the description plus photos of each one. This seemed like a good idea to begin with, however, as I add more and more I can see that it will take up a lot of disk space, and ink if I ever print them out. I've also created a data base, "Found" in GSAK and add each one to it using the same numbering system and just saving the photos in a separate directory as 001CacheName.jpg. I will probably end up using the latter and stop going to all the work the former takes, other than the initial printout of the info I need for the hunt.

hmm. I feel ancient :yikes:

I have a little notebook with those tiny flag-style posty notes separating the pages. The pages are divided by the cities near me. Each city section has a list of all the caches, what they're called on the page and what they're called in my GPSr, the size of the cache if known (so I know what to look for), and any hints/tips/tricks gleaned from the logs. Also, if I'm not familiar with the area, I'll include directions. Once at the cache, I'll mark if I found it/DNF, took/left anything, condition of cache if damaged/very well preserved and any info. Sometimes the handwriting looks fairly alien and I have to decipher it :anicute:

I don't own a pda though the non-caching hubby does. I kinda like my little notebook for now :blink:

I use the Palm M500 with Cachemate. So far it has been great to use, my cousin and Geopartner has gotten the same one (off eBay) and we both have been using them for more than just geocaching. The great thing is, we each sign and trade differently, so when we go caching, I usually set up the caches, "Beam" them to her Palm, and then we both have the same list.

I will say though, there is one disadvantage to this Palm, and I found it last weekend. I was doing a recently-reinvented puzzle multi, trying to be FTF, and I ended up calling the owner for help (he DID leave his # in the hints). Seems that the online cachepage had some numbers underlined in RED, and those were the numbers to put in the final coords. On my MONOCHROME Palm, these were impossible to see, and the numbers made no sense. He was VERY gracious enough to come to the location, look over my answers and take me to the final cache (at his house!) all on Easter Sunday no less.

So...PAY ATTENTION to color on the original page info, it may be important!

And a very public THANK YOU to 4Chin Seeker again for the help!

I keep all cache pages on my Palm TT2 with Cachemate, several databases for different areas that I frequent. I use GSAK to manage my caches. I log finds with cachemate but I also make a paper copy in one of the small but thick spiral note books, (4" x 5"), fits nicely in my cargo pocket with a pen in the spiral, about an inch thick. I have a small pocket in the book that I keep my stickers in ( for 'signing' logs) and it is much easier to add notes, do puzzles, keep track of off sets etc using the notebook vs. cachemate. I usually log finds etc on gc.com using mainly my notebook. I usually have my laptop in the truck for longer trips.

Edited by echo4lima

I've never been a palm/pocket pc person. whenever i go caching i reload my GPSr from gsak just incase anything has changed (a cache was archived) after thats done i press file->print. i get a nice list of all the caches that i have on my unit and when i find one i just put a line through it with a pencil.

im a newbie but it has worked for me.

When I write in and sign the log, I leave the log book open and place it next to the cache container, then I take a photo of it and download it to my PC when I get home. (I also take a photo of the hiding place after I've rehidden the cache). This save me having to write things down "in the field" and serves as a useful record of the caches I've done (However, I do have over 2GB of photos now!)

For recording info for multi/puzzle caches, I use a small notepad and pen (well I did until I left the pad in my trousers and washed + tumble dried it! :laughing::anibad: ) I also take a photo of the clue as a backup - I have a terrible short-term memory :huh: .

I am fresh on paperless caching, and was wondering about cachemate. is it possible to download a file containing the logs from cachemate, and download the file to GC.com?

Mm. I had to read this a couple of times, but if you're asking if there's a way to write your notes in Cachemate and upload that to GC, not directly. But Cachemate does have an option that your logs go to Notepad. Then you could hotsync, load the Palm desktop and cut and paste the notes into the GC logging form.

It's clunky. Particularly if you're writing your Palm notes with the stylus and Graffiti. (Unless you're a lot better than me).

Palm for me. I load it up from GSAK, then map out the area I want to search that day and bookmark the caches I want to go after. Works a treat.

I'm planning to upgrade and start taking a laptop with me as well. I'll still keep the Palm so that I will have the cache info immediately available, but I'll log the finds on the laptop directly.

I print the "printer friendly" page off the GC.com website and take that with me to the cache site. Once I find the cache, I make notes on the cache page. Once I get back to a PC I can read my notes and log the cache.

Ditto! Unashamedly I do this as well - saves on buying more batteries and more electronic gear to have to be mindful of.

I hand write basic info on 1 piece of paper for whatever I'm hunting that day/week/roadtrip/ect. Time consuming but I have saved 100's of pieces of paper that way. (have you hugged a tree today? :rolleyes: )

I have a small 1 year diary that the finds/notes get recorded into on that paticular day so I can look back anytime. The empty pages from days I didnt cache are used for more notes, waypoints, and misc.

Eventually a PDA is going to be bought to eliminate the handwritten descriptions though.

I am fresh on paperless caching, and was wondering about cachemate. is it possible to download a file containing the logs from cachemate, and download the file to GC.com?

I also wonder about this. I Hotsync my palm and get my finds and notes onto my computer in the "Memo" section of my Palm desktop software. Is there a way to directly load this info back into Gsak?

Also, is there a way to directly load this info (of several caches finds at a time) into the logs of the appropriate caches on the Geocaching.com Web site?

I use my boyfriend - I wait for him to log all the caches and just follow his trail!

I tried to go paperless, but I just don't care for being paperless ALL the time. Most of the time my memory is enough, but on days that I do large runs (15+) w/o the boyfriend (I wasn't kidding, I usually wait for him to log first), I either just keep the pile of cache pages, or if I have gone paperless for that run, I use cachemate or the notepad in my palm.

I print the "printer friendly" page off the GC.com website and take that with me to the cache site. Once I find the cache, I make notes on the cache page. Once I get back to a PC I can read my notes and log the cache.

Me, too. I'll be hanged if I'll carry another freakin' gadget!

Of course, I always have my notebook with GSAK in the car. Outside the car, Im the only one I know of that uses this, but I convert cache pages to text files(notepad) and put them on my Ipod! I have the cache page, my notes/puzzle answers and music if needed! Then I either change symbol or delete waypoint from GPSr as I find them

I also wonder about this. I Hotsync my palm and get my finds and notes onto my computer in the "Memo" section of my Palm desktop software. Is there a way to directly load this info back into Gsak?

Also, is there a way to directly load this info (of several caches finds at a time) into the logs of the appropriate caches on the Geocaching.com Web site?

http://boulter.com/geocaching/express/

have anyone tried this link??

Edited by rotis

I also am a user of the Mark I Cranial Retention device, for some reason this type of information sticks in my mind rather well (once recalled perfectly the point number, coordinates, and elevation for a survey control point we hadn't used in a year and a half)

Used to carry the cache pages with me and jot down notes on the back, but quickly gave that up--I like to drive with the windows open and got tired of papers blowing around the cab of the truck. Stopped printing them out when I realized I was logging my finds online without looking back at the notes. Tried going paperless, but still haven't been able to get my PDA (handspring visor deluxe) to work with any of the software, so I'll cruise the cache pages when I'm bored and kinda glance at them all, and then it may be weeks or months before I actually go search them out. Makes it interesting sometimes when you forget that one little detail...

My ultimate logging test came this weekend when I took some newbie friends out caching. At no point in the trip did I have the GPS in my hands, and I only knew that the PQ I had set up had traditional, non-micro caches only, and that I knew the cache we started at. Had to log the finds based on how far we travelled to the next cache, a map showing all the area caches, and the cache descriptions. Was a test, but got it done.

I'll probably complete going paperless when I get the old laptop my sis is using back and load GSAK back onto it, until then, just me and my memory (which can remember exactly where the first cache I found was, but not what I ate for supper last night. Go figure)

I don't have the best memory in the world, so I leave myself a note on my GPS. I have a Garmin 60CS which allows you to enter notes on the cache page. If I need to answer questions for a virtual that are to long to fit I open Word on my PPC and leave the information there. I used to carry a clipboard with the printed cache pages on them before I started paperless caching. This is a lot easier a quicker.

:mad: