Moun10bike Geocoin?

Team JSAM

I have heard of this coin alot in the forums but I dont see what is so special about it. It seem to be one of the most wanted coins out there was it the first one ever made V1 I mean, just looking for a little history lesson as to why this coin is so special.

Thanks,

:D

Yes to all of your questions.

It was the first geocoin created to celebrate his 100th find. Back then, and until recently, coins really meant something (IMO) before they became completely commercial.

These coins are coveted as they are from "the Godfather of Geocoins" so to speak :D .

If you ever meet him, make sure to kiss his hand and show your respect! :P

The Moun10Bike coin is the most commercialized Geocoin on the market, sellling for a $1000 on ebay.

I would say that *possession* of Moun10bike coins have become commercialized.

The coins themselves were never sold by their owner.

All of them show Moun10bike as the owner on Geocaching.com and I'm not aware of any unactivated Moun10bike coins ever being in the hands of anyone but Jon himself.

The Moun10Bike coin is the most commercialized Geocoin on the market, sellling for a $1000 on ebay.

I would say that *possession* of Moun10bike coins have become commercialized.

The coins themselves were never sold by their owner.

All of them show Moun10bike as the owner on Geocaching.com and I'm not aware of any unactivated Moun10bike coins ever being in the hands of anyone but Jon himself.

I also beleive that Jon has said that he does NOT want to see his coins sold.

:D Anyone want to send one to me so I can log it then send it back????????? Just asking

:lol: Anyone want to send one to me. I want send it back.. I also want sell it and might one day set it free. I keep trying to talk Jon out of one and one day when the stars are right and the wind is blowing out of the west, I may just be lucky enough to have one in my hand that I don't have to give back. Of course it would be great to actually find one in one of those backwood Lacy stashes. I will reach in grab and log the coin and I will put one of my coins out to replace it and smile on the hike back to the car. ---- I can dream can't I. :D

Edited by big rick

:D Anyone want to send one to me so I can log it then send it back????????? Just asking

I won't, but keep an eye out in the province of Quebec, in about a month a Moun10Bike3 will be released in the wild... Yeah I know, crazy and it wont last, but I will give it a try anyway... :D

I won't, but keep an eye out in the province of Quebec, in about a month a Moun10Bike3 will be released in the wild... Yeah I know, crazy and it wont last, but I will give it a try anyway... :D

Lets see. If I leave now I can be there on Wednesday find the cache and be back home for the CITO event on Saturday. Sounds like a great few days.. Anyone for a cache run from Georgia..

:) Anyone want to send one to me so I can log it then send it back????????? Just asking

No, but if you're ever in GA, I'll be happy to let you see the one I have and then you can log it :)

Thanks for the offer AG. If I get down there again, I'll be sure to look you up. :P

:huh: Anyone want to send one to me so I can log it then send it back????????? Just asking

I won't, but keep an eye out in the province of Quebec, in about a month a Moun10Bike3 will be released in the wild... Yeah I know, crazy and it wont last, but I will give it a try anyway... :laughing:

Crazy? What fun would anything be without a little craziness here and there? :anibad:

Don't despair though, there is always hope! The Moun10bike3 coin I found was in a cache a few days shy of a month!

I took a chance and traveled 500+ miles to find it out in the wild. Crazy? Perhaps. But, I have to tell you, if the coin had not been there, I still would have had a great adventure! It was a beautiful place - Moun10bike doesn't just drop a coin in every cache. If you want to find one, you just have to make your mind up that you’re going to have fun either way and then go for it! :P

Here is one that is moving

Wow, ONLY 9061.1miles (14582.5 km) from my home coordinates for a guaranteed log! :laughing:

Bet it would be fun though! Cool to see they are having a CITO event. How much trash can they have laying around in Singapore anyway? Don’t they do the cane thing to litterbugs? :anibad:

It appears that there is now a Moun10bike ornament up for grabs.

It is. Unlike the last coin, where it was given to a Muggle, I'm concerned about this one.

As quoted from the ebay page...

"This was found in a Geocache in Spokane and is now mine."

Anybody know the story behind this?

:laughing: This seller really rubs me the wrong way with this statement. Is this a geocacher who doesn't play by the rules? Obviously, since this coin is up for sale, but I really hope this person never crosses a geocoin again....

It appears that there is now a Moun10bike ornament up for grabs.

It is. Unlike the last coin, where it was given to a Muggle, I'm concerned about this one.

As quoted from the ebay page...

"This was found in a Geocache in Spokane and is now mine."

Anybody know the story behind this?

:laughing: This seller really rubs me the wrong way with this statement. Is this a geocacher who doesn't play by the rules? Obviously, since this coin is up for sale, but I really hope this person never crosses a geocoin again....

This is where it is from:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...55-15cc3280d7ed

Too bad doing a good/nice thing turns into this.

We've now closed several threads about the sales of Moun10Bike coins and this one is heading the same way.

That topic has been asked and answered a number of times now and Moun10Bike's opinions are now well known (use the Search feature if you are not sure).

This thread was opened to discuss why the coins are considered so special, etc. and NOT to discuss another sale of hsi coins.

Further comments and discussions around the selling og Moun10Bike coins will cause this thread to be closed as well.

Now, does anyone want to comment on thier history or add thier $.02 as to why they are special?

If the OP has gotten thier question answered, I suggest asking further related questions or locking the thread.

- FSM

I will say that while I'm sure they are nice coins, I don't see why they hold so much value in the general sense. I do not have it on my seeking list of coins because it really has no meaning to me, I've never met Moun10bike, don't know him at all except for afew postings in the forums and then all the fervor over the coins, and i've never found (or even searched) one of his caches.

Maybe if I was a Mountain biker it would hold abit more meaning as a common hobby (like my workerofwood coin, and others that I share hobby or interests with)

Yes, I know it was the first trackable geocoin, and one of the early geocoins. But unless I meet Moun10bike in some manner, or he wants to trade for our geocoin (soon to arrive) I don't have much of a desire for the coins.

Sure, I would like to find one in a cache, as I like finding other coins in caches. If it was placed as a signature item in the cache by moun10bike himself (with option of keeping) I may keep it, as we would have both found the same cache, and I have started collecting signature items (that are not travellers). If it was listed that it should be kept moving, I would take it home, take its picture (or scan it) and then find a suitable cache to place it in to continue its journey.

edit: there is only one personal coin on my seeking list, and the connection as to why it is should be obvious. (I have not, but soon will contact that individual directly to seek a trade)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

I will say that while I'm sure they are nice coins, I don't see why they hold so much value in the general sense.

Oddly enough, the V1 is not very attractive by today's standards (it's ok if I say this - he agrees :) ).

For most, the 'value' is in either:

1) Finding/holding a piece of geocaching/geocoin history

2) Having a sig item from somebody they have cached with, met, etc.

I will say that while I'm sure they are nice coins, I don't see why they hold so much value in the general sense.

Oddly enough, the V1 is not very attractive by today's standards (it's ok if I say this - he agrees :) ).

For most, the 'value' is in either:

1) Finding/holding a piece of geocaching/geocoin history

2) Having a sig item from somebody they have cached with, met, etc.

When I started Geocaching in 2004, I didn't have any opinions on the Moun10Bike Coins. As I started reading more about the history and who was involved in the sport, I became interested in one. Version 2 got more of my attention than Version 1 due to the aesthetics, and that sentiment was probably shared by many, as the Version 1 I picked up was unfound for about 36 hours. :D

So for me, Pasta Reason #1 is the reason why I find them significant. I think Not So Lost Puppies' feeling is normal, since I've met a few cachers who have felt the same way.

Yes, I know it was the first trackable geocoin, and one of the early geocoins.

I stopped reading here.

It was THE FIRST geocoin. Period.

There was another geocoin that came out at the same time as his. Moun10bike's was the first one to be tracked on GC. What was that coin?

I've been priveleged to hold four of them! Three were the original version. One was sold on ebay recently for I know not what amount. It was subsequently returned to M10B by the buyer which made for an absolutely fabulous log. M10B then gave it back to the guy who bought it with his blessings.

The second I lost on a hike up on Thunderbolt Mountain a fact which I lament to this day as I had planned to release it there.

Last summer I recently placed a Vs 2 in a cache in Montana called Lost Horse. It was in the middle of no where and I received no less than fifty emails on how to access that cache. GeoRoo was the lucky finder on that one and I believe he released it back into another cache in Western WA. His log and the adventure to get that coin makes for some phenomenal reading.

The final one I'll hold until I find my NEXT one at which point I'll turn this one loose. I think that's what the owner had in mind when he coined these and thankfully I've been able to honor that request.

It's always interesting to watch the "feeding frenzy" when I set one of these free.

There was another geocoin that came out at the same time as his. Moun10bike's was the first one to be tracked on GC. What was that coin?

Don's coins came out at the same time as my *second* batch of version 1 coins (the second 100) - about 6 months later.

The minter actually shipped Don's coins to me and my coins to Don. Don let me have #001 of his, and he wanted #200 of mine.

Don's coins came out at the same time as my *second* batch of version 1 coins (the second 100) - about 6 months later.

The minter actually shipped Don's coins to me and my coins to Don. Don let me have #001 of his, and he wanted #200 of mine.

Did you hear those gasps?

<gasp> 100 coins lasted 6 months?! </gasp> :huh:

Did you hear those gasps?

<gasp> 100 coins lasted 6 months?! </gasp> :huh:

That is generally what happens when you don't ever sell them, and you just cache them. It will probably take us at least that long to distribute 100.

Hey Hula Bum/Kealia how many of your coins have you placed so far? I know you are ONLY placing them in caches.

I don't have an exact count, but maybe 10 or so.

They're not left in every cache, just the ones that we like (i.e. takes some hike to get to) or had a really good adventure on. A REALLY cool mirco (that would fit a coin) or a special place will get a coin as well.

I believe we dropped 4 or 5 on our recent trip to Washington and expect to drop a number in Hawaii in June.

Don't know how long they will last. I have a LOT of coins to drop (GBA coins, Cacnine coins, etc.) as well as our personals.

They're not left in every cache, just the ones that we like (i.e. takes some hike to get to) or had a really good adventure on. A REALLY cool mirco (that would fit a coin) or a special place will get a coin as well.

That is basically how we will be dropping ours, so it will likely take some time to get many of them out there. Too bad we wont have them in time for our trip in May through IA, IL, MO, KS, AR maybe add MN, OK, NE, TN as well.

I had three of them in my hands, one before I was experienced enough to know what it was. The other two at events. I would love to find on one day, but somehow I do not see them coming to stay in the flatlands of Kansas. :lol: Maybe at an event or if I get to some remote areas caching, I'll find somebody with another. Glen

:lol: I'm not sure why finding or seeing a Moun10bike coin is so special but it certainly is for me. I learned about Jon even before I was introduced to coins by coming across his website. I create websites for fun and was very impressed with his so studied a little. In the process, I saw his coins and thought it was a wonderful idea for a signature item but was beyond my budget to do the same thing. That is when I came up with the idea to create my own Rubiconlwb geocard. I create it on my computer, print it out, laminate it and place it in a cache with the request that finders move it from cache to cache. I wrote to Moun10bike a while back requesting a trade but he told me that he did not trade his coins unless it is for a personal, non-commercial coin. The bottom line is, he is the one that brainstormed this idea that has become so popular. Add that to the fact that his coins are very, very limited and it makes for the folklore attached to his coins and to him as a geocacher. He is a very nice guy, very down to earth from my limited contacts with him. I definitely have a dream to at least see one of his coins one day but who knows if that will ever happen (I live in Wyoming

Yes, I know it was the first trackable geocoin, and one of the early geocoins.

I stopped reading here.

It was THE FIRST geocoin. Period.

Yes, but the one that was sold was a version 2. Was it THE FIRST version 2 geocoin? ^_^

Actually, Jon has S/N 001, and the very first coin of both his version 2, version 3, and the coinament. He had them all at the event last weekend. I got to fondle them long enought to earn the right to log them. (I already have one of each in my collection, but it is still cool to see the first ones!)