Lithiums Too Hot For Garmin 60 Csx To Handle?

I'm starting to notice if I try to use lithium batteries in my Garmin 60 CSx, it comes on for a moment and starts to boot up, then the display just fades out and goes off as though the batteries were weak or dead.

The first time it did this I thought I simply had old cells or ones that had died on the shelf, but when I checked them, they were putting out 1.78 v! I repeated this with 2 more sets of new lithium cells with the same results. The unit works fine on my rechargable NiMH cells that top off around 1.4 v.

Are these cells just a little too hot for the unit and it is just bowing out rather than risk frying something inside?

I'm starting to notice if I try to use lithium batteries in my Garmin 60 CSx, it comes on for a moment and starts to boot up, then the display just fades out and goes off as though the batteries were weak or dead.

The first time it did this I thought I simply had old cells or ones that had died on the shelf, but when I checked them, they were putting out 1.78 v! I repeated this with 2 more sets of new lithium cells with the same results. The unit works fine on my rechargable NiMH cells that top off around 1.4 v.

Are these cells just a little too hot for the unit and it is just bowing out rather than risk frying something inside?

I'm using the e2 lithiums in my 60CSx with no problems whatsoever. I'm currently on vacation in Kauai, and have had my GPS on and off ALOT this past week. No peculiar behavior (that can be attributed to the batteries).

BTW, i've had VERY good performance out of the lithiums. Still shows all four bars on the battery level gague.

When I charge up my Energizer NiMH (the 24 hour variety) they reach 1.4 volts. So I am not worried about them being too strong, but they don't seem to last very long. I would estimate maybe seven hours befor the battery bars start to drop off.

I've also used Panasonic non-rechargable batteries. They seem to last and last. Even when the bars start to drop on the meter, if I turn it off for a while, they come back at full strength.

Does anybody have a better rechargeable battery recommendation?

Edited by G & E

When I charge up my Energizer NiMH (the 24 hour variety) they reach 1.4 volts. So I am not worried about them being too strong, but they don't seem to last very long. I would estimate maybe seven hours befor the batter bars start to drop off....

The relevant question isn't how long it takes for the battery meter to start going down, but how long before the unit shuts off due to low voltage. Current Energizer NiMH cells are rated at 2500 mA-hr and should power a 60CSx for about 18 hours or more unless the backlight is in use. If you get much less than that I'd suspect a problem with either the cells or the GPS.

I think we discussed this here once before. The Lithiums (when new) sometimes put out more voltage than they are rated. I think they are rated for 1.6 volts and put out as much as 1.8. the New x models have a safety feature that the will shut down if they receive over 3.4 volts. Someone may have to correct me slightly, but that is what I recall.

When I charge up my Energizer NiMH (the 24 hour variety) they reach 1.4 volts. So I am not worried about them being too strong, but they don't seem to last very long. I would estimate maybe seven hours befor the batter bars start to drop off.

I've also used Panasonic non-rechargable batteries. They seem to last and last. Even when the bars start to drop on the meter, if I turn it off for a while, they come back at full strength.

I have been very happy with the 15-minute 2500 Energizer batteries. They last longer than 12 hours in my Vista C. I have several batteries, so I always have a spare set or two with me on a hike, and I have an inverter for my car, so even on the road, I can get "fresh" batteries in only 15 minutes. thumbsup.gif

Periodically, I recharge all the Energizer batteries if they haven't been used for several weeks.