Find A Cache - Search By Keyword

===sgb

Why is this called "search by keyword"? It isn't and they aren't.

It appears to be a search for words in the cache titles, so why not label the box "search in titles".

A keyword is just that, a word which provides a key - Therefore typical keywords for a cache would be words such as: traditional, micro, ground, tree, well-hidden, bush.

The title is things like "Just another coin cache" or "Pentland Hills".

If I want to find "Shalford Stroll" - whose approcimate name I can remember but nothing else, I would enter that into a "Search in titles" field, but not into a by keyword field.

I've just spent 30 minutes searching the forums for hoe to search in a title and eventually I dragged up the inference that keyword did this - it had never occurred to me that it might!

===sgb

It was said that "A word in the title is a keyword. "

Well maybe if you are a technogeek, but not for your "general public". Strikes me as trying to confuse folk for the sake of it.

Obviously if I am in a minority of 1 then nowt will happen.

Cheers

===sgb

It was said that "A word in the title is a keyword. "

Well maybe if you are a technogeek, but not for your "general public". Strikes me as trying to confuse folk for the sake of it.

Obviously if I am in a minority of 1 then nowt will happen.

Cheers

===sgb

I am definitely not a technogeek, but I understood from the beginning that "keyword" meant any word in the title of the cache.

As for it providing a "key", I would consider it more to be a key as in one you would follow to identify a plant or a problem. As in "start here and then chose from what is shown for the next step".

Okay, well I will have to cop to being a geek, but I understand keyword to be in the title, too.

Even if I didn't, though, the 'keyword' search usually turns up so many caches, it's useless. If it were broadened to include the whole description (without having some way of limiting the search geographically), I'm not sure it would be at all useful.

Okay, well I will have to cop to being a geek, but I understand keyword to be in the title, too.

Even if I didn't, though, the 'keyword' search usually turns up so many caches, it's useless. If it were broadened to include the whole description (without having some way of limiting the search geographically), I'm not sure it would be at all useful.

Interesting idea.

I wonder if Jeremy, in his infinite wisdom, would consider adding a list of states to the keyword search. Then you could search by a keyword in a specific state and shorten the list by quite a bit.

Well, ten years ago, I might have agreed with you...but nowdays, the average public library doesn't have their card catalogue any longer, and even the 90 year old great grandmas have learn that search engines use keywords to find the title of something (a book, a record, a video). I don't think that search engines are part of the geek squad only realm these days.

And while I am on the topic:

A keyword is just that, a key word. Words such as "park" "black" "elephant" etc might be keywords; words such as "an" "the" and "or" would not be (too common).

And what Richard Moore was speaking of, is more appropriately termed a "dichotomous key"

If the rock is foliated, go to #2, if the rock is not foliated, go to #3.

Edited by Team Neos