Help With Poi's, Please!

OK, I tried to do a search, but it wont let me use "POI" as a search term since it's less than 4 characters long. Here's my problem:

I started using GSAK and pocket queries, but I loaded some caches and some waypoints such as "Home", etc. before that. Also, I've accidentally marked a couple geocaches as "found" on my 60CSx and have some duplicate entries from the ones I manually loaded in before I started using GSAK.

I'd like to delete all of the waypoints on the GPSr when something like this happens so that the next time I update with GSAK these will be gone. I would, however, like to keep the waypoints that are not caches, or at least be able to re-enter them and not have to worry about them being deleted in the future if I delete all waypoints.

Is this something I can do with the POI loader? What I mean is, I would like to make my house, etc., something other than a waypoint so it sticks around after deleting waypoints. Is the POI loader the way to do that, or is there a better way?

Edited by Mike Fitz

I don't have a 60, but maybe this will work similarly.

In my GPS V if I want to delete all waypoints I do a find, by name, then when I get into the list of caches I hit menu and from there I can delete all caches, or delete by symbol.

By using symbol I've got a more or less permanent waypoint that doesn't use the same symbol as everything else. I delete all the caches (treasure chest symbol) and I've got 499 waypoints freed up.

On yours there may be two main cache symbols. Unfound and Found caches. However if this works similarly you can do what you want to do by using a Car symbol for your Car nad Home symbol for your home, or a special symbol for "don't delete this".

Edited by Renegade Knight

I don't have a 60, but maybe this will work similarly.

In my GPS V if I want to delete all waypoints I do a find, by name, then when I get into the list of caches I hit menu and from there I can delete all caches, or delete by symbol.

By using symbol I've got a more or less permanent waypoint that doesn't use the same symbol as everything else. I delete all the caches (treasure chest symbol) and I've got 499 waypoints freed up.

On yours there may be two main cache symbols. Unfound and Found caches. However if this works similarly you can do what you want to do by using a Car symbol for your Car nad Home symbol for your home, or a special symbol for "don't delete this".

Hmmm.... Since I haven't tried yet, that may be the case. If so, that would work out OK, though I'm still interested in the custom POI option for permanent waypoints if that will work.

On the 60, it's Find > Waypoint > Delete > Symbol

Is this something I can do with the POI loader? What I mean is, I would like to make my house, etc., something other than a waypoint so it sticks around after deleting waypoints. Is the POI loader the way to do that, or is there a better way?

Yes - That will work.

You might also consider downloading your waypoints into MapSource. Delete all of your waypoints in your GPSr. Selectively delete the waypoints you don't want in MapSource and then send the remaining waypoints back to the GPSr. In MapSource, you can click on the "Symbol" button in the waypoint list to sort the waypoints by symbol in the list.

Edited by Neo_Geo

In Mapsource, I keep a file called "Personal Waypoints" containing all of the waypoints which I always want loaded. Makes it easy to delete all waypoints and then reload my personal ones. Also, it ensures that I have them all if I ever made a mistake and deleted waypoints I wanted to keep.

Your (and my) GPSr allows for just 1,000 waypoints. With the custom POIs, I've built an aviation database of over 4,500 radio navigation beacons, 8,100 airports and 39,000 airway intersections. They're all on that tiny little memory card now.

Some people are simply just loading up on caches in their area or along trip routes.

Another possibility is marking speed and red-light cameras. That's a big thing in Europe, and is slowly catching on here in the states. You can assign proximity alarms to your POIs, so when you get near one, an alarm will sound.

You're only limited by your imagination as to what you can do with them!

Sounds like a nice feature to have! Are there any links to instructions on how to use the custom POI loader out there? Are all of the POI's done in the program itself and loaded directly into the GPSr, or does it interact with Mapsource and put a new category in there for custom POI's? I don't see anything in Mapsource related to POI's now.

CLICK HERE to download the free POI Loader program. You will find a "POILOADER.HLP" file wherever the executable program file is installed.

Basically you need to create a specially formatted .csv file with the data, or use MapSource to create a .gpx file, then use POI Loader to send the data contained in the files to the GPSr.

CLICK HERE to read a good thread about it.