Gear, Ticks, And Meet The Ranger Request

wuvablepebbles

The past few weeks has taught me we need to be more prepared for geocaching. I'm starting a light weight back pack that not only includes goodies to share but the following

1 first aid kit with added tweezers and needle and water tablets (i've aquired more slivers in the past few weeks then anything LOL)

2. water/trail mix (for emergency's)

3. multi knife/tool

4. compass/map

5. firestarter

6. flashlight

7. survival blankets

8. garbage bags (to double as ponchos in emergency)

9. whistle/mirror

10 bug spray/ sunscreen

11. baby wipes (oh the uses for these already has been numerous)

Couple questions here...

Now of course I carry a phone, gps and extra batteries on a pouch that goes around my neck... but do you think anything else should go in the backpack (for hikes a little farther from the car) for geocaching in IL?

I'm trying to come up with a good way to protect the 2 year old from ticks. Deet bug spray is ok with the 6 year old and 13 year old.. but the 2 year old touches everything and then is a constant thumb sucker.. suggestions?

Can the new shake the flashlight (no batteries needed) be used for a flashlight?

Anyway we could get the Ranger to discuss safety and what to do in emergiencies (injured party member, if you get lost) at the Meet the Ranger event? I think this would be GREAT for not only me and hubby, but our kiddies if gosh forbid anything bad ever happens.

Wuvablepebbles

P.S. This was suppose to be posted on the IL forums due to the meet the ranger thing. WHOOPS :anitongue: but will leave here since getting good advice about the tick/flashlight questions LOL

Edited by wuvablepebbles

Good gear list!

I carry most of that whenever I go out too, except for a real rain coat I picked up at walmart for $10. It came with it's own stuff sack and fits over me and the pack. I also carry a collapsable aluminum hiking stick, not only for walking, but for poking under things for caches, snakes, large bugs.

I seem to be allergic to most bug repellents so I started wearing light hiking pants tucked into my boots, and a long sleeve shirt. The black flies and skeeters still get me, but the ticks don't. Maybe Avon's Skin so Soft would be a good choice for the 2 year old. It seems to work well, and it's the only kind I can use occasionally without feeling run down for 2 days afterward.

I'm not sure about the flashlight. You will be carrying extra AA's for the GPS so how about puting a cheap AA light in the pack. Even the supposedly dead batteries from the GPS will power the light for quite a while.

The shakeable flashlights put out a magnetic field that may mess up any electronic items you may have in your pack. I'd also suggest you get whistles for everyone, the louder the better. Get one for everyone, especially the kids.

Fox 40 Whistles

Stormwhistles

These whistles do not have the "pea" in them. Which means the harder you blow the louder they get. Try a real outdoor store lie EMS or REI. You should also be able to buy them online.

Edited by magellan315

The SkinSoSoft sounds like a good idea to try, I know it works well against skeeters and fleas.

As far as the flashlights, I've had two of the shakers and one wind up, they were all a waste of cash. Buy a AA minimag (under $10.00) and change the bulb assembly to the 3 LED type ( www.niteize.com ). Stays bright forever and you don't ruin the bulb if you drop it.

That looks like a great list for medium length hikes with kids. I applaud you for taking the time to think about preparing for emergencies. Take a look at this link for an even more thorough pack/list, yet one that only weighs 10-12 pounds and so is convenient as well. This pack is light enough and small enough that I use it for short hikes, yet it worked perfectly for a 12 mile trek to the 10,800ft peak of Mt San Jacinto that my 11 year old son and I made 1 1/2 years ago, and I had every confidence that it held enough equipment that we could have easily and comfortably spent the night out there, even in bad weather, if the need had arisen. I plan on using the same pack when we head for Mt San Gorgonio later this year, a 15 mile trek up to 11,500ft. And yet again, I also use it for caches that are a hundred or so yeards from the van, too!

Having a well thought out and fully equipped pack not only makes great sense when hiking with your kids, but it also teaches them a great lesson; that they should always be prepared and leave nothing to chance.

The shaker lights are good for emergencies, but not great for general use. They don't give out a lot of light and the light doesn't last very long. Also, as Magellan315 mentioned they have a strong magnetic field and can mess up compasses and some electronic equipment, so be very careful.

For young children, the American Academy of Pediatrics says DEET in concentrations of up to 30 percent is OK. Just to keep it off the hands, eyes and mouth. Primary Cache mentioned Skin So Soft and you hear that a lot, but its effectiveness as a repellent has been disproven in test after test.

You seem to have a pretty comprehensive list. I always have baby wipes in my pack and I've never had a baby.

I echo Magellan's idea to get a whistle for everyone. Also, teach your kids to stay put if they are separated. We used to tell my stepdaughter to make friends with a tree and hug it if she gets lost.

For tick control, you need to just be on the lookout. Dress your child in lighter colored clothing. Tape up the hem area to limit access there. If you can, put your child in a long sleeve light colored shirt as well. If you can tape the sleeves closed too, try it. You can use bicycle clips when your child gets older. This does not guarantee no tick contact.

If you find a tick which has not burrowed in, dont panic, they do not move fast. Just pick it up/off and toss it in the toilet, maybe add some toilet cleaner. They do not swim. Check the genital area, under arms, back of neck and any FOLDED skin area. Although ticks like anywhere the blood is close to the surface of the skin. If you find a tick embedded. Dont panic. Get out the tweezers, the ones with the wider head is easier to use. Place the head of the tweezers right on the skin on each side of the tick , squeeze your tweezers and pull. This ensures you get the entire bug.

For tick control, you need to just be on the lookout. Dress your child in lighter colored clothing. Tape up the hem area to limit access there. If you can, put your child in a long sleeve light colored shirt as well. If you can tape the sleeves closed too, try it. You can use bicycle clips when your child gets older. This does not guarantee no tick contact.

If you find a tick which has not burrowed in, dont panic, they do not move fast. Just pick it up/off and toss it in the toilet, maybe add some toilet cleaner. They do not swim. Check the genital area, under arms, back of neck and any FOLDED skin area. Although ticks like anywhere the blood is close to the surface of the skin. If you find a tick embedded. Dont panic. Get out the tweezers, the ones with the wider head is easier to use. Place the head of the tweezers right on the skin on each side of the tick , squeeze your tweezers and pull. This ensures you get the entire bug.

I was with you right until the end there. I'd have expanded on "pull" and disagreed on wider head necessarily.

You don't want to squeeze the ticks body. It can cause them to regurgitate whatever contaminates they carry into your system. So narrower tweezers held at an angle and placed between the head and body right against the skin tend to be better.

Expanding on "pull" - pull SLOWLY and evenly. Don't yank. Breaking off the mouthparts under the skin is an almost sure infection...

The tick advice given is fine for a normal brown tick. Deer ticks are the primary carriers of lyme disease and are about the size of a flake of pepper or the head of a straight pin. Examin your kids and their clothing very carefully .... and always wear light colored clothing so they can be easily seen. You can purchase a tick extraction tools that make the job easy to remove them. Here is a good tick removal article. :P ImpalaBob ...Been ticked off and had lymes disease! I do not want you to get it!

Don't throw ticks, dead or alive, into the toilet or any other water supply!

They are known to survive the trip down the water pipes. Ticks are listed as Animal Planets #1 most extreme animal for surviving without food; some species can go 15+ years without food until they find a blood source! At home, don't try and kill them 'cause their diseased blood could squirt onto yourself. Wrap them up in toilet tissue, duct tape it, and throw it in the garbage. In the woods, just flick them off and continue with your hike.

I have had success with these tick removal tools. Ticks don't clamp down immediately, so if you check yourselves periodically and after going through any brush, you increase your chances considerably for catching the mangy hitchhikers.

I will reiterate the need to have a hiking stick - not just for yourself, but for your entourage as well. Other than a GPS, that's my next most commonly used item. They're especially useful at night to cut across spider webs! Get a good one for yourself and the $12 folding cheapies at Walmart for your kiddies.

You mention the occassional sliver; gloves should be a mainstay in your pack. Goat-skinned gloves are very durable and supple. I believe I paid $15 for a pair from Home Depot.

For night hikes, a headlamp comes in useful for freeing up your hands.

I bought some kid-sized hydration packs for my girls so they can carry their own water. Our dog also has her own dogpack for water and dog food.

On your GPS, make sure you enable tracks and/or mark your starting point.

I advise against Skin-So-Soft 'cause the oily residue will collect dirt/debris out in the woods, and, as stated, Deet products are more effective.

I think you have everything else covered; have fun!

Note: your 2-yr old run should be under constant supervision. I don't know how prevalent rattle snakes are in IL, but a 2-yr old will find them, and most other critters, interesting enough to want to pick them up.

Edited by Chuy!

have to echo the numerous flashlight and glove issues above. I carry a small "mini-mag" light that uses 2 AA batteries and is nearly indestructible. Additionally, I bought a cheap pair of work gloves at Wally World. I kept finding myself jamming my hand into dark holes in trees, rocks, stumps, etc... Good to have some protection when I'm feeling around for a small cache versus my bare hand. Great topic all!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I've taken it all into consideration. I generally like to keep the kids very close to me and the toddler within grabbing distance most the time they only exception being on paths and then only a step or two away. The whistle idea is very good along with hug a tree idea. My biggest fear so far has been losing them and I've stressed over and over how they must stay close, which they do for most part. If they get more then 20 or 30 feet away i call them back. I know they think I'm being overprotective but it's just too easy to quickly lose someone in heavy trees or unbrush.

I don't believe we have rattlers by Chicago (never have seen one) but couldn't totally rule that out (but we did have snakes when we lived in NC) I more keep the lil one close to not lose her and to keep an eye out for poison ivy/oak Could see her wandering right into the middle of a patch and that would be no good! :huh:

Edit: am familuar with ticks as they (and their deseases) are quite prevelent in NC Oldest landed a few on her including one in her belly button! Was interesting to get a call from her school and then trying to get that one out up in the school office.. it was TIIIIINY. Never thought to check deep in the belly button! Know better now :unsure: Trying to prevent a repeat of that with the little one who isn't capable of saying "mama i got a tick on me!"

Edited by wuvablepebbles

The past few weeks has taught me we need to be more prepared for geocaching. I'm starting a light weight back pack that not only includes goodies to share but the following

1 first aid kit with added tweezers and needle and water tablets (i've aquired more slivers in the past few weeks then anything LOL)

2. water/trail mix (for emergency's)

3. multi knife/tool

4. compass/map

5. firestarter

6. flashlight

7. survival blankets

8. garbage bags (to double as ponchos in emergency)

9. whistle/mirror

10 bug spray/ sunscreen

11. baby wipes (oh the uses for these already has been numerous)

Couple questions here...

Now of course I carry a phone, gps and extra batteries on a pouch that goes around my neck... but do you think anything else should go in the backpack (for hikes a little farther from the car) for geocaching in IL?

I'm trying to come up with a good way to protect the 2 year old from ticks. Deet bug spray is ok with the 6 year old and 13 year old.. but the 2 year old touches everything and then is a constant thumb sucker.. suggestions?

Can the new shake the flashlight (no batteries needed) be used for a flashlight?

Anyway we could get the Ranger to discuss safety and what to do in emergiencies (injured party member, if you get lost) at the Meet the Ranger event? I think this would be GREAT for not only me and hubby, but our kiddies if gosh forbid anything bad ever happens.

Wuvablepebbles

P.S. This was suppose to be posted on the IL forums due to the meet the ranger thing. WHOOPS <_< but will leave here since getting good advice about the tick/flashlight questions LOL

I went out today and bought a lot of those items and put them into a backpack too. Can't be too safe!

I also carry a collapsable aluminum hiking stick, not only for walking, but for poking under things for caches, snakes, large bugs.

where can I find one? I looked at a couple places but couldn't find one. I definitely need one at least for spider webs, they give me the heebie jeebies!

You can get collapsible hiking sticks (and a lot of other outdoor gear, too - incluidng GPSrs - !) at REI ... www.rei.com ... usual disclaimers: no financial interest, etc.

p.s. I carry a small auto inspection mirror - the kind that's about 1" diameter on an extendible shaft - it's quite useful for looking into odd crannies where you don't particluarly want to shove a hand at first; you know, the kind of cranny that might have a rattlesnake or scorpion or wasp nest in it!

Edited by gLOBALfINDER

I got my stick at Eastern Mountain Sports. It was on sale at the end of the season a couple of years ago. It's got a nice cushioned grip with a wrist strap, a cork ball on the top than uncrews to reveal a screw for a camera (monopod), a snow cup, and a rubber cap for the titanium tip. It collapses down to 28", too big to fit in my camelbak, but I found a carabiner that clips it to one of the gear loops. I think it ended up being about $40.

I've also heard that walmart sometimes has them for about $10, but I've never seen one in my local store.

I went out today and bought a lot of those items and put them into a backpack too. Can't be too safe!

I also carry a collapsable aluminum hiking stick, not only for walking, but for poking under things for caches, snakes, large bugs.

where can I find one? I looked at a couple places but couldn't find one. I definitely need one at least for spider webs, they give me the heebie jeebies!

Any out gear shop is going to stock walking sticks. I use a pair a Leki titanium poles. SOme people use heavy wooden walking sticks, the problem with them is that they are heavy and wooden

As far as flash lights, I use a Princeton tec Blast, it uses 2AAA batteries and puts out more light than the AA Mini Mag, you can also clip the Princetin tec blast onto a hat if you are wearing one, The priceton Tec Blast is also water proofm, the Mini Mag is not. You can get the Blast for about $10.00.

As far as LED head lamps, I have on but I only use it as a back up, LED head lamps are great for battery life, but if you want a "Bright" light they are not up to the task for the most part. There are a few that come close to a Xenon or Halogen flash light, but most of those are in the $100.00 price range, give or take a few bucks. For entering a log into a log book a head lamp is very good.

thanks for the walking stick tips, guys. We don't have REI here unfortunately, I checked a couple sporting goods places and one only had wooden ones, the other one had a leki one but it was 80 bux! that's an expensive spider web killer, it's not like I am fighting spiderman! :laughing:

I'll check Walmart today, there is a cache right by it too.....two birds, one stone and all that