Kite Flying Cache

I am planning a cache that would have the usual log book, but I will have several inexpensive kites and string inside a pvc pipe.

To log a find, the cacher would have to send a photo of them holding, (or hopefully flying) one of the kites.

The cache would have trade items too, but the main object is to just borrow and replace a kite.

Would this work?

I love flying kites. I have about 20 of em, stunters, deltas, 3d, line laundry, etc.

I see a potential flaw in the main variable, the wind. To strong, to weak, going the right direction .

Also I would question if the lines would survive some of the less "careful" cachers.

I like the idea in theory, but you know I'd be breaking out one of mine to fly :anitongue:

As cache owner you can add logging requirements for a find. The commonest is, "email me the codeword from the logbook". I"ve seen others. There's nothing in the listing guidelines to prevent you from asking cachers to find your cache, sign the log and "Go Fly A Kite". As a practicle matter, I'd think you'd have trouble keeping undamaged kites in the caches and as a personal preference I'm not fond of additional logging requirements.

But neither of those should stop you.

Just tell cachers that they have the opportunity to fly a kite when they get there, and that several will be included. Those that are interested will do so. If there's no wind/it's raining/they don't care, then you are just going to annoy finders. I wouldn't make it a requirement, but an opportunity.

Just tell cachers that they have the opportunity to fly a kite when they get there, and that several will be included. Those that are interested will do so. If there's no wind/it's raining/they don't care, then you are just going to annoy finders. I wouldn't make it a requirement, but an opportunity.

I love your idea of making it an "opportunity." That is much friendlier and conveys the original idea that I had. Thanks for your suggestion, that is the way I will publish it for sure.

The field where I will be placing this cache is near where I live, so I can make frequent maintenance trips to replace tangled lines etc.

I love the idea of describing it as an 'opportunity'. That will be the way it is described when I place the cache. Thanks for the great idea. (You must be in sales?)

Edited by Maxima

I love flying kites. I have about 20 of em, stunters, deltas, 3d, line laundry, etc.

I see a potential flaw in the main variable, the wind. To strong, to weak, going the right direction .

Also I would question if the lines would survive some of the less "careful" cachers.

I like the idea in theory, but you know I'd be breaking out one of mine to fly :D

Me too, either my cheetah or my revII but not the stacked 10 it takes to long to assemble :D

Throwing my hat in the ring as another kite enthusiast, here is my rig (Ozone 5.0m & Flexifoil kite buggy):

Buggy1.jpg

I also have a locationless cache listed on another publishing site that requires that you attend an organized fly to log it (as in AKA sanctioned) I attempted to get a Waymarking categorgy for kiting but it didn't draw much support.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

Kites are my other passion. I've been contemplating a method to join the two somehow. I have actually thought about attaching my gps to a large parafoil to measure altitude and down-range distance (using tracking feature), but I'd be afraid to drop the kite into the ocean or lose it to a broken line.

I've been building and flying parafoils/quadarafoils for >10 yrs!

A little fun in the sun!

kite.jpg

Very close to the site of my first cache find! :)

jeep.jpg

TakoKichi! :)

Edited by markp99

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :laughing:

For the record, in case anyone new sees this and thinks it's the greatest idea ever, you now cannot require such a photo, as it would be an Additional Logging Requirement, which isn't allowed. You could, however, simply request such a photo.

EXTREMELY *late* reply... Three words: Kite Aerial Photography

{'Nuff said...}

Ya, late. Anyway kites rely on proper wind to remain aloft. What to do with no wind? How about one of these?

kn-13-jpg_1381260099.jpg

I'm in the process of building one-except mine's neon green, but otherwise exactly the same. Put a GoPro on it, and use the remote or the app to take pictures. Or if you feel the need to have two or three thousand dollars worth of equipment in the sky, an 8 rotor version is capable of lifting a DSLR and lens. I know you can remotely trigger the shutter, but what about zoom?

There's got to be a way to tie aerial photography to geocaching.

a necro of all necros! 2006 was a long time ago, why do people do this???

... because if you start a new thread, some smartarse says "we've already discussed this, are you stupid or something?"

I love the idea of the optional kite flying opportunity.

Edited by Oxford Stone

I am planning a cache that would have the usual log book, but I will have several inexpensive kites and string inside a pvc pipe.

To log a find, the cacher would have to send a photo of them holding, (or hopefully flying) one of the kites. The cache would have trade items too, but the main object is to just borrow and replace a kite. Would this work?

As mentioned before this part won't work. ALRs are not allowed anymore. You can only suggest they take a picture but not require it.

Added

Also where would the actual cache be? How long do you think the kite would be up in the air and what would prevent it from muggles?

Edited by jellis
Ya, late.

Hey, I am temporarily stuck using DIAL-UP...<g>

Anyway kites rely on proper wind to remain aloft. What to do with no wind? How about one of these?

How about when the proper batteries QUIT?

{NEENER NEENER NEENER!}

;~)°

{BTW, *Nice* multi-rotor, T.D.M.}

Batteries? Have 3. 1 cooling down, one charging and one flying. Anyway in could fly far enough that I'd lose sight and radio range before killing the battery. Or I could go for a plane- 50km on off the shelf motors and batteries is possible. Might not be cheap or super fast but possible.

Just so we are clear, I am not knocking drones. I want to someday build {or purchase} a radio-controlled “powered parafoil” - my name for a “powered parachute” - to augment my Kite Aerial Photography [KAP] & Kite Aerial Video [KAV] work.

Who said anything about a drone? I have a multi rotor, specifically a quadrocpter. It's just as much a drone as a $30 Air Hogs toy. Actually it is the same, but bigger.

Now an RC parafoil, that's a bit different. I guess you'd need a custom airfoil made up, but the res would be quite easy. Radio and receiver $50-$2000 depending on bells and whistles. Motor and ESC-electric because I think nitro fuel would ruin the airfoil-$30. $2 for the prop, and $10 for a servo to steer. An hour or 2 with balsa wood to make a frame, or longer to weld one up. Or you could even use foam board...

Thanks, now you've given me another project to do. :laughing:

I think I could make one up for $60, plus whatever the airfoil costs me.

Who said anything about a drone? I have a multi rotor, specifically a quadrocpter. It's just as much a drone as a $30 Air Hogs toy. Actually it is the same, but bigger.

On a KAP forum I read, the word "drone" has been used quite a bit, and I have started to use that as my "default" expression. I meant multi-rotors.

Now an RC parafoil, that's a bit different. I guess you'd need a custom airfoil made up, but the res would be quite easy. Radio and receiver $50-$2000 depending on bells and whistles. Motor and ESC-electric because I think nitro fuel would ruin the airfoil-$30. $2 for the prop, and $10 for a servo to steer. An hour or 2 with balsa wood to make a frame, or longer to weld one up. Or you could even use foam board...

A couple of years ago I came across an online hobby site - cannot remember which one, although I do not think it was TOWER HOBBIES - that listed a stunter-kite-type parfoil for less than $50-USD {if I remember correctly} that could be used for building a R/C powered parafoil. {UN-fortunately, I do not have it bookmarked on the laptop I am using right now.}

One of the great things about powered parafoils - as I understand them - is that you only need two channels to control the actual model itself. One for steering, the other for throttle - increasing or decreasing throttle controls climb, cruise, and descent.

Thanks, now you've given me another project to do. :laughing:

I think I could make one up for $60, plus whatever the airfoil costs me.

THERE YOU GO! I'll have you flying kites before the end of 2015....

;~)°

This occurred to me just this morning: Make a 'Kite Aerial Photography' cache that requires you to KAP {photograph} the cache with you in the photo {some kind of 'visual cache'} that is only visible from above, or from standing almost directly above it.

As had been already explained, all you can do is require a signature in the logbook, can't require anything else except for certain caches. Those would be any grandfathered cache, a challenge cache, or earth cache.

This occurred to me just this morning: Make a 'Kite Aerial Photography' cache that requires you to KAP {photograph} the cache with you in the photo {some kind of 'visual cache'} that is only visible from above, or from standing almost directly above it.

Some of the most fun I've had in my caching career was at this one Bird's Eye View. Our kite was not strong enough to lift our camera setup so we went with balloons. May it rest in peace.

As had been already explained, all you can do is require a signature in the logbook, can't require anything else except for certain caches. Those would be any grandfathered cache, a challenge cache, or earth cache.
Actually, Additional Logging Requirements (ALRs) are explicitly not grandfathered. Even if the ALR cache was in place before the ban, the ALR cannot be required by the CO. It can still be requested, but it must remain completely optional (even if the language in the cache description hasn't been updated).
Actually, Additional Logging Requirements (ALRs) are explicitly not grandfathered. Even if the ALR cache was in place before the ban, the ALR cannot be required by the CO. It can still be requested, but it must remain completely optional (even if the language in the cache description hasn't been updated).

I ummm...I knew that :ph34r: . What I meant was Virtuals and Webcam caches. YA that's it. Just testing you... :laughing:

Some of the most fun I've had in my caching career was at this one Bird's Eye View. Our kite was not strong enough to lift our camera setup so we went with balloons.

What kind of kite were you using for a lifter? And do you remember how strong the wind was?

I was camping in Central Virginia not quite four years ago, hoping to do some KAPing while there. UN-fortunately, the winds were not quite strong enough to lift my rig with the Rokkaku kite {or "Rok"} that I had.

I was there again about a year later with a slightly better Rok, AND the winds were stronger too, so I got a few photos taken....

A couple of years ago I came across an online hobby site - cannot remember which one, although I do not think it was TOWER HOBBIES - that listed a stunter-kite-type parfoil for less than $50-USD {if I remember correctly} that could be used for building a R/C powered parafoil. {UN-fortunately, I do not have it bookmarked on the laptop I am using right now.}

BINGO...

Hobby King Paraglider Parafoil 2.15m

{Hey, if you cannot quote YOURSELF, who *can* you quote...?}

;~)°

General discussions of kite flying or kite aerial photography are best suited for the Off Topic forum (a premium member feature), rather than bumping an outdated thread asking about an ALR cache design. Since bumper is not a premium member, splitting the recent kite discussion into its own thread isn't an option. Closing thread.