Archiving A Waymark In A Category

What happens when a Waymark is no longer valid?

I've looked for a method to Archive an existing Waymark in a Group that I'm the Leader of (just to learn, wasn't going to do it) and I can't find out where this is done.

Right now there isn't a need for this, as far as I know but one day there will be.

I know I can Archive my own Waymarks... but what if someone in the Category I manage has a Waymark that become invalid over time for whatever reason, and doesn't respond to requests to Archive it?

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar

I've been wondering the same thing. My Whispering Giants category recently received a list of all the sculptures created by the artist. We're finding that many of these have succumbed to the elements over the past few years. Some of the sculptures that have been logged are in sad shape and may need to be removed. When this happens, I would like to be able to archive those sites that no longer contain a sculpture. As group leader, I should be able to do this but I can't figure out how. Is this a feature we have now? If not, will it be included in a future release?

There is a way to do this, but it is not very straight forward.

Here are my instructions for it from a previous thread.

Basically, you have to get to the approve / reject waymark page for the waymark. Then you can decline it, and it is gone.

Save off the WMGUID for the waymark you want to remove. It is in the URL of the waymark page.

Then replace it in the URL below.

There ya go.

Waymark Approve / Reject Link

ggmorton, I see you experimented with this on some of your own waymarks. Does this archive the Waymark with all photos, descriptions, and logs in tact or does it make it disappear completely? At this point, I have nothing to archive, but in my Whispering Giants category it appears many of the sculptures succumb to harsh weather over time. If a logged sculpture is removed from the physical world, I would still like to have a description and information on the Waymarking site.

ggmorton, I see you experimented with this on some of your own waymarks. Does this archive the Waymark with all photos, descriptions, and logs in tact or does it make it disappear completely? At this point, I have nothing to archive, but in my Whispering Giants category it appears many of the sculptures succumb to harsh weather over time. If a logged sculpture is removed from the physical world, I would still like to have a description and information on the Waymarking site.

Actually, I correct my previous terming. This is a way to reject a waymark that was previously approved. It does not archive the waymark as the topic title suggests. The waymark owner can still resubmit it for approval. So in a sense it does remove it from view of everyone exceot the waymark owner. If you convince the owner to archive it after it is rejected then that would be the desired result asked about in the original post. I believe that everything stays intact when it is rejected, but I could be wrong.

It sounds like to me you need / want the ability as a category owner to be able to edit the waymark, but for it to still be visible. I'm not sure you can do that currently. Unless you convince the waymark owner to do so.