Scafell Pike Climb Event

I'll be heading over to Wasdale some time this week to hide a couple of caches in time for the event - one of mine and one of Scaw's - Perhaps Johnmelad or another local cacher might like to do the same - the more the merrier! <_<

If I can get out this weekend I will place one. Just need to convince she who must be obeyed that I deserve a day out :blink:

Sorry Couparangus you won't be able to make it as we enjoyed the Ben Nevis climb with your trainers B) but the NAG's (Northumbria Area Geocachers) have persuaded me to go. :(

The plan is for me to arrive with Longfram Kev and my nephew from Texas (maybe another G Force team member as well) arriving late Friday and camping through to the Sunday. Alistair UK may be with us or make his own way there. But we will be there regardless after hopefully completing the C2C on the Thursday so it could be a slow walk. Shouldn't be any slower than Ben though SP and we'll have the completed the 3 peaks over the course of a couple years. :D

One question where is the nearest pub? B)

Here! Wasdale Head Inn which is five mins on foot from the start location, and will be where we retire after the climb for the pub bit any event must have :(

Looks like a friendly place, and they've just been voted CAMRA West Cumbria and Western Lakes' Pub Of The Year.

home.jpg

Sorry to see C.A. can't make it, but very happy with the crew of climbers we've got together. It's going to be great to meet some new folks and get reacquainted with some old ones too - so to speak! Looking forward to it :D

It might be worth taking a look at nearby caches... :D
Well done that man! Thanks to Paul and Scaw, we now have three new caches to find. One at the pub we'll relax in after the climb, one at a bridge 2 miles down the only road to the pub (so you'll have to pass it!) and 2 miles further along the road, with a lakeside walk. All good stuff :sad:
It might be worth taking a look at nearby caches... :P
Well done that man! Thanks to Paul and Scaw, we now have three new caches to find. One at the pub we'll relax in after the climb, one at a bridge 2 miles down the only road to the pub (so you'll have to pass it!) and 2 miles further along the road, with a lakeside walk. All good stuff :o

And another Wastwater 4th

Did anyone see the week-ahead weather report on Countryfile? If so, what was the news/guesswork for Cumbria next weekend? Ta!

BBC News 24 give a prediction for few days ahead also, on the half and full hour. BBC2 late night on Thursday (around 1am Friday) give a weekend forecast.

Its raining now. So seaweed wet!

If you've a matched pair you're happy to lend me, that'd be great. I've not used them before but can see how useful they can be. That said, I was still wary of buying some (£6.98 each at Tesco for the same ones as Argos are selling) as I may not get much use out of them. Not many mountains in the home counties :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

With five days to go I can now see this event appearing over my calendar horizon! Driving up from Southampton Friday night via my Brother's in Blackpool to be in Wasdale Head by 8 o'clock Saturday morning. If you're not up with the kettle on Paul I'll be pulling your pegs out! Presuming you're roughing it in a tent of course!

Will our contingent have any Geocaching banners on the camp site or am I looking for a "rather large bloke in a gorilla suit"?!

...If you're not up with the kettle on Paul I'll be pulling your pegs out! Presuming you're roughing it in a tent of course!

Will our contingent have any Geocaching banners on the camp site or am I looking for a "rather large bloke in a gorilla suit"?!

When the firm's paying, I'm in the Wasdale Head Inn with a telly and a big soft bed. Camping would have been fun, but I remember the stream which ran through The House of Boo's tent which I was staying in for the Snowdon climb event. Never again! As for the gorilla suit, sadly I think the day will just be too warm for it. :anitongue: :anitongue:

After bending one of my walking poles leaping off Ben Nevis and using them as brakes, I've invested in a cool pair of spring loaded, air assisted Leki poles. Catch me if you can you mere mortals!

Better not let my bergen out of my sight with so many loose rocks about!

Just checked with Wasdale Head Inn, breakfast is for residents only. Hot snacks available around the back from 08:30. All being well I'll be lurking menacingly somewhere around the area in travel bug P111 GPS.

Thanks to everyone who came along for making this the best event I've ever been to. The weather played ball, we found some great caches in the area and managed to get up and down without any serious incidents. I just feel sorry for those who couldn't make it to the meet!

There's a selection of photos on the cache page -link on the original post of this thread- and I hope to add a video before long too.

As you missed it, or already know what a great day it was, I'm going to lock this thread. Feel free to get in touch with me for more info if you'd like to.

Edit: Someone's stolen the Thread Lock button. Where's it gone?

Edited by Simply Paul