Scafell Pike Climb Event

Reading TDW's forum thread about the Three-Peaks Challenge in 24 hours (or up 72 hours?) with interest, it occurred to me that having climbed Snowdon in 2004 and Ben Nevis in 2005, both for cache events, I'd only actually want to climb Scafell Pike to 'finish my collection' of highest British mountains - and caches!

So I've set up this event for Saturday the 12th of August: Death or Glory! Preferably Glory! (Scafell Pike) by Simply Paul - The plan is to park at the Pay & Display car park at Wasdale Head and leave there at 9am. Depending on the weather it should be a 3 to 4 hour climb to reach the virtual on the top, and a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour descent. Like Ben Nevis (but unlike Snowdon) the whole mountain gets climbed so this will be suitable only for those in reasonable shape. Sorry, no young children or heavily pregnant ladies! Dogs are very welcome though :anitongue:

I hope a good crowd will be able to join me. More info here and on the cache page as and when I have it. Links to photos from Snowdon and Ben Nevis below:

Snowdon 2004 : Ben Nevis 2005

Edited by Simply Paul

Exactly my feeling, and as I'll be in North Wales on Sunday the 13th, it made sense to me to pick this weekend to tick it off my 'to do' list. Many first-class caches in the area too, so lots of scope for folks to have a whole (long?) weekend's caching.

Edited by Simply Paul

Would love to make one this having done the other 2 peaks the same time as SP. I have climbed Scafell Pike years ago with Mrs G but that was well before the cache was on top and the kids. Still a bit too early to commit but I am scheduled to be off just working out the holiday plans.

If I can make it then will definately be there hopefully with one other G Force team member.

Thanks for the local info MBFace. I dare say it fills up quite quickly so I'll regard the NT one by the camp site as an 'Option B' start point. The paths from both locations meet so it'll not be hard to co-ordinate things once I've swapped mobile numbers with everyone who says they're coming. Apparently Orange has ok signal in the valley and at most points along the climb.

It'd be great to see you along G-Force!

I love the idea of this - I've been meaning to plan a trip to the lakes for a while and it would be great to meet a few fellow geocachers at the same time. I've never been on any kind of organised geocaching event before, but it sounds like fun as long as you guys don't mind a newbie tagging along! ......must double check my shifts at work first though!

We'd be delighted to have you *mouse* - but August is four months away. You'll be missing some good get-togethers between now and then if Scafell Pike is your first one. There's 19 listed on GC.com between now and mine. Get out, meet some folks! I've been to quite a few and enjoyed every one.

I have already done the virtual cache, using nearly the same route apart from we went right at the fork and up the Mickledore scramble more info here and photos here It took us 2hrs each way.

I have put the date in my diary but think I am away that week :) I would love to do it again.

Edited by Deego

Ah Brian, so you too survived the Mickledore scramble! I'm sure the path was sliding downwards underfoot as I was climbing up! That gully is deffinately not recommended for your plan Paul, too technical for the average walker. Don't miss the left fork on the way up Lingmell Gill! If you pre-programme a waypoint for the saddle 'tween the Pike and Lingmell that'll steer you in the correct direction.

My spies tell me Mickledore is closed due to erosion at the moment so my route is the only simple one from Wasdale Head, for now. Btw, The Wasdale Head Inn has single rooms available that Friday night (the 11th, for the early start on the 12th) for £54 and doubles for £74. Both with en suite and a full breakfast. News on the local campsites when I have it.

It'd be great to see you both again Paul & Brian. I just hope the weather's not Snowdon in September 04 repeated!

Edited by Simply Paul
Sorry, no young children or heavily pregnant ladies!

Hoi, us tough northern lasses don't stop climbing mountains just because we're pregnant. :huh: I went up Great Gable when I was seven months pregnant, and my son was scrambling up Sharp Edge on Blencathra at the age of three! My kids each climbed Scafell Pike from Seathwaite via the Corridor Route at the age of eight, so being pregnant or having young kids needn't be a barr to a mountain cache event!

Thankfully, though, I am not in either category any longer - unfortunately, I don't think I'll be in the Lakes during that week - probably be there for the preceeding two weeks - so tempting though it is, I'll have to miss this event. I would like to meet up with fellow cachers some time though, so I'll have a look at what's planned elsewhere...good luck with the event anyway :unsure:

Some campsite info:

Lake District Camping web site

National Trust web site

Ok Rose, I take it back. Cachers attending should note this isn't going to be a walk in the park with a picnic though :laughing:

I'd also like to contact the NT about placing a nice big physical cache at a safe location somewhere above half way up on the Wasdale side of the mountain. I have an ammo can ready for the job. - However, not being local and having no friends or relatives living in the area, I'd need the assistance of a local cacher to maintain the box for me. Any volunteers?

Edit: The Wasdale Head Inn still has Singles for £54 and a single occupant in a double room would pay £74 (£54+20 surcharge) - Otherwise it's basically £54 per person per night, unless you want a family room, 4-poster or something else fancy. Visit their page (link above) for full details.

Edited by Simply Paul

contact the NT about placing a nice big physical cache at a safe location somewhere above half way up on the Wasdale side of the mountain. I have an ammo can ready for the job. - However, not being local and having no friends or relatives living in the area, I'd need the assistance of a local cacher to maintain the box for me. Any volunteers?

Paul ........... MBFace or Crag Rat are local and very good at "hills" it might be worth talking to them as there both local. Crag Rat is some sort of outward bound instucter he is taking my son on his Duke of Edingburgh award.

Just thought i would mention it

I'd also like to contact the NT about placing a nice big physical cache at a safe location somewhere above half way up on the Wasdale side of the mountain. I have an ammo can ready for the job. - However, not being local and having no friends or relatives living in the area, I'd need the assistance of a local cacher to maintain the box for me. Any volunteers?

Paul

as I have 2 caches in the valley already, I would be pleased to maintain your placement. Assuming I can find it! Have several DNFs on mountains :-) Being there when you place it, should help.

When I looked last year, Wasdale was a desert of low level caches, only mountain top letterboxes and virtual. Tried to set up webcam caches from wasdaleweb.co.uk, but delay is over an hour. So gave up. Have waymarked them instead. Awaiting approval.

Look at the multicoloured mushrooms appear each weekend on Pillar Cam :-)

charlieg0pzo may have placed a SOTA cache, but not published on GC.com yet, which will be a traditional cache. AFAIK there are 2 Lakeland letterboxes nearby. There is a premium multi, but its not on the route. I intend to place a small cache if charlieg0pzo has not.

Free car park does fill, but at 9 am should be ok. Hopefully not too many coaches for 3 peakers (in a weekend, which is frowned upon).

Excellent info FFN, thanks! I'll drop the NT a line about placing a cache on the mountain. The Wasdale route would benefit from a good sized trad, I think.

Edit - I've read the Lingmell route is worth a look as it's not much harder than the one I had in mind, and gives better views of the mountain. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If we do go up this route, we can always come down on the other one.

Edited by Simply Paul

A quick question. I got some hill climbing practice in lakes this Sunday and according to my GPS I covered 17 Km over the day and reached a height of 1500ft. So now I have convinced myself that with a bit more respiratory exercise I will be fit enough for the climb.

Almost forgot, the question... What should I take with me in terms of kit and foot ware? I realised I had not quite got it right when I kept passing climbers ready for the arctic with big boots, hi tech walking-sticks and HUGE rucksacks and I was waring a short sleeve shirt with my coat draped across my shoulder.

Update: A question has a question mark at the end doesnt it? Anyway it is fixed now.

Edited by alistair_uk

Almost forgot, the question... What should I take with me in terms of kit and foot ware? I realised I had not quite got it right when I kept passing climbers ready for the arctic with big boots, hi tech walking-sticks and HUGE rucksacks and I was waring a short sleeve shirt with my coat draped across my shoulder.

You'll need to take a decent set of waterproofs, a fleece, a hat, some comfortable trousers - not cotton (definitely not jeans!) walking boots or shoes and a pack with food, a couple of litres of water, headtorch...to be honest the list can go on and on! :laughing: A trekking pole would be handy - I can lend you one if you like - did I mention I was coming? :unsure:

Edited to add a link to a more comprehensive list... :rolleyes:

Edited by The Golem

'Come climb SP with SP!'

It'd be great to have you onboard Golem. In addition to your list I'll add, depending on the weather, a shirt, sun cream and a light hat of some sort. Climbing Ben Nevis last year showed that at the top it's always chilly but it can be a very hot day a little way down the hill. You can produce a lot of heat yourself while climbing so, as long as the weather's ok, something light isn't out of place. Energy food (mars bars got me to the top of Snowdon) and a rucksack to carry it all in - 5% of your body weight as about all you'd want to take, so if you're 80Kg, aim for 4Kg or less of 'stuff' to bring, which with 2Kg of water doesn't leave you loads to play with.

More updates: Wasdale Head campsite info

Update: A question has a question mark at the end doesnt it? Anyway it is fixed now.

most of the people in Keswick wear that sort of kit and never go near a mountain you need a map in the lakes to walk round a town :laughing:

We are just finalizing our C2C trip which is planned on finishing on the 10th so if my legs are still with me I'll be there.

I would plan on camping the Friday and Saturday night and can give you a lift Alistair if you need one. I don't think you would have any more problems climbing it than I will. I've found a trekking pole to most useful for my old knees on the way down.

Almost forgot, the question... What should I take with me in terms of kit and foot ware? I realised I had not quite got it right when I kept passing climbers ready for the arctic with big boots, hi tech walking-sticks and HUGE rucksacks and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt with my coat draped across my shoulder.

most of the people in Keswick wear that sort of kit and never go near a mountain you need a map in the lakes to walk round a town :rolleyes:

Recent photographic evidence would suggest the natives don't even wear that. During a recent rain shower this local was seen wearing not that much :-)

b31c3bee-fc68-4873-9f3c-fba25ec0130a.jpg

It is. I've booked a hotel room and everything. I just hope as we get closer the weather plays ball as I have no intention of trying to climb England's tallest mountain in a gale or heavy rain. Should either of these be a problem, we'll focus on the pub part of the event, and perhaps pick up some local low-level, easier caches.

It'd be great to have you along Coup' (Bob? I'm rubbish with names, sorry!) and only fair as it was your event I went up Ben Nevis ("who's he?" hehehe!) with :rolleyes:

Almost forgot, the question... What should I take with me in terms of kit and foot ware? I realised I had not quite got it right when I kept passing climbers ready for the arctic with big boots, hi tech walking-sticks and HUGE rucksacks and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt with my coat draped across my shoulder.

most of the people in Keswick wear that sort of kit and never go near a mountain you need a map in the lakes to walk round a town <_<

Recent photographic evidence would suggest the natives don't even wear that. During a recent rain shower this local was seen wearing not that much :-)

b31c3bee-fc68-4873-9f3c-fba25ec0130a.jpg

He isnt a native he is an import :rolleyes:

That's okay SP, most of the locals here think my name IS Coupar Angus. :mad: Its actually Phineas T. Fogg, but you can call me Andy. I reckon this Ben Nevis guy must've been real' important to have a mountain named after him. <_< I wrote an article for our local Ontario Geocaching Association in the last newsletter. Complete with pictures of the whole Ben Nevis crew. Here's a link to the article

The rest of my family is going to the kingdom of Uck in July. I hope I can make it to the UK for this climb but it'll be a long shot and on short notice if it happens.

Cheers!

C-A

Oh yeah, I forgot I mentioned that part. I did however omit a couple of things I'd observed. For instance when I asked if the water was safe to drink at the waterfall one hiker pointed to his musclebound friend and said, "F*ck aye! Look at the muscles on this w*nker, he's been drinkin' it all his life!!"

Before it gets bumped for no other reason :)

We've finalized our C2C plans and would think my chances of attending are better than Andy's current chances and would guess at about 75% of attending. It will really boil down to the last few days before the event though. :blink:

Bit of a bump :laughing:

I've had no replies to my emails to the NT folks in the Wasdale area - I want to hide a cache on the mountain on the way up and as this is NT land, I'm asking if they're cool with it. Does anyone have contact details for a cache-friendly local official? Any suggestions for people to approach would be appreciated.

Bit of a bump :)

I've had no replies to my emails to the NT folks in the Wasdale area - I want to hide a cache on the mountain on the way up and as this is NT land, I'm asking if they're cool with it. Does anyone have contact details for a cache-friendly local official? Any suggestions for people to approach would be appreciated.

ASKED MY friend who used to work in NT HQ Grasmere about who to contact in Wasdale. She suggested the NT valley warden, but could not remember his exact name. Just that it was Colin ??????

will investigate further.