Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
ejla

Geocaching Without Gps?

Hi there,

I am new to all this, and as yet have not purchased a GPS. I am dying to get started, so my question is, is it possible to go geocaching without a GPS? and if so, how?

Many thanks

I think it is possible, get yourself a map or the area you want to go caching in and read the SJ grid references on the cache pages, don't know how close you will get to caches your looking for though. You may find it difficult doing multis without some sort of tool to convert the WSG84 co-ordinates to the SJ ones.

I stand to be corrected. :anitongue:

Possible but difficult. We did our first few caches plotting the 10-figure National Grid refs on OS 1:25k maps which should take you within, say, 50m of the cache site. Not brilliant but not much worse than a GPS under heavy tree cover. If it's a regular cache in a likely spot, a search should locate it, but if it's a micro cunningly concealed you need the precision of a GPS reading. I think, sooner or later, you'll want a GPS receiver! We bought a basic Garmin Etrex & haven't looked back since.

I think it depends on the cache. The way I would probably do it is to use Google Earth (or Google Maps with the satellite view)... but again it depends on the resolution of the maps in your area. A lot of traditional rural caches are hidden near an obvious tree or bush - with open fields around.

If the hints are helpful you've got a good chance of finding it.

If all this fails then you could post a note on the Adopt a Newbie thread - you get to meet other people and borrow their GPS :anitongue:

But from the sounds of it - you want to go out today!! :grin:

We started without a GPS and just used Google Maps to plot the co-ordinates before setting off. It was very limiting as you could only do the caches which were near obvious features on the map or ones where the clues were obviously enough to find the cache if you looked hard enough.

As someone has already said, it made doing multi's a virtual impossibility (we did do a few but it was by brute force, involving a LOT of searching).

We soon decided we would need a GPS - we started with an eTrex Yellow (Santa brought it our 7 year old for Christmas) and have now moved up to a Garmin 60csx and have not looked back since.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

My first 35 were found without gps,but that's because they were in London.I always use www.multimap.com to get me very near to the right spot.Once you get into open land/parks/woods etc a gps is pretty much vital.

Yes!

On Dartmoor they have been "letterboxing" for years. A box is hidden with stuff in it - people find them by OS Ref and some clues. Sounds very like Geocaching!? But they have being doing it for over 100 years!

I think it depends on the cache.

Agreed. My first find was actually done without GPSr, but there are quite a few which I've done which would have been pretty tricky without.

If all this fails then you could post a note on the Adopt a Newbie thread - you get to meet other people and borrow their GPS :D

No need to buy a GPSr to get started. Like other addictive things, the first one's always free :D:D

I think it depends on the cache. The way I would probably do it is to use Google Earth (or Google Maps with the satellite view)... but again it depends on the resolution of the maps in your area. A lot of traditional rural caches are hidden near an obvious tree or bush - with open fields around.

If the hints are helpful you've got a good chance of finding it.

If all this fails then you could post a note on the Adopt a Newbie thread - you get to meet other people and borrow their GPS :D

But from the sounds of it - you want to go out today!! :D

Google Earth won't show you exactly where an cache is hidden. If you are using the KML browser thing you download from GC.com, GE will randomly move tjhe location about by up to 100' to stop people finding a cache by seeing exactly which tree it is under! You will often see the caches 'jumping' when zoom levels are changed.

Yes you can easily start caching without a GPSr. :D

Pick a few caches local to you with easy ratings and you should be able to find your first cache by using your local knowledge, an O/S map (coord's published on the cache page) and any clues the cache setter has provided. This is how I found my first and it was enough to convince me to continue geocaching.

If you like it, a GPSr isn't too expensive if you go for a intro model like the little yellow garmin Etrex - come and join the fun. It's great! :D

Google Earth won't show you exactly where an cache is hidden. If you are using the KML browser thing you download from GC.com, GE will randomly move tjhe location about by up to 100' to stop people finding a cache by seeing exactly which tree it is under! You will often see the caches 'jumping' when zoom levels are changed.

You learn something new every day! :D I haven't used the KML browser much - but I've used the satellite view on Google Maps quite a bit - I'm pretty sure that's accurate. (But I've been wrong before!!) :P

Hi there,

I am new to all this, and as yet have not purchased a GPS. I am dying to get started, so my question is, is it possible to go geocaching without a GPS? and if so, how?

Many thanks

I dont have a GPS i just use google i think it ADDS MORE CHALLENGE BUT IT ISNT TO HARD I <3 IT!

sO yeS YOU CAN WITHOUT gps

Hi there,

Many thanks

I've found a few caches without a GPS - if you're in an area where you can zoom right in with a Google satellite view you can sometimes pick off the precise location. Other times I've scouted out the area using Street View so that when I've been there I already know what it's going to look like and the most likely hiding spots.

As others have said if you're dealing with a multi or a cache that isn't in an easily viewable location (due to either lack of mapping data or being under heavy tree cover) it gets trickier.

If you cut & paste the co-ords into Google Map, then the co-ords are pretty accurately represented. If you use Firefox, the free Greasemonkey OS map plugin is very much worth a look, as again it's quite accurate & you can switch between OS Maps & Google aerial imagery. If you then print the cache page to take with you, it saves you writing all over your own maps [:)]

Jon.

I found my first hundred or so with out a GPSr. Wasnt to much of a problem. I just used to zoom right in on the sat image on google maps. If you know the area it will be fine. Ive recently bought a garmin geko from ebay for £21 and im away now!!

Good luck!!

I've found a couple of caches without a GPS by using the map function (zooming in), but they were micros in urban(ish) areas that I knew very well. I tried to find one in Kielder once by just using a map. I had no joy finding it. Got a GPS and went back and I was at least sixty feet out.....but then again I'm hopeless with a map.

I did my first 100 or so using just maps and sat nav. But I had a huge number of dnf's along the way

Hmmmm.......the OP asked this question 4 years ago :ph34r:

Had a look on their profile and only found 6 caches :) and hasn't cached for 2 years :)

There's a cacher in Massachusetts who did over 1,500 before he broke down and bought a GPS. That was mostly before Google Maps, too. He used compass and maps and spidey sense.

It wouldn't be for me, though. Fiddling with the gear is half the fun.

Done several without any gps they are usually 1/1 and read the clue. I does help to know " where would I hide it?" that is after a while it becomes quite easy to recognise where a good hiding place is.

Did one today in the middle of Skipton without the gps. Simply used google earth before our visit to zoom right in on the co-ordinates and then followed the clue which was spot on.I`ve used this idea a few times before and found that as long as the cache is somewhere close to an obvious object, like the only tree at the side of a field you can usually get away with it.

Hi

I started by doing a few without gps, again using google maps, but they were in my local area that I know well so was easy to figure out from the maps exactly where they were.

In the UK you don't always have to have the actual OS map because the OS web site has a Get-a-Map button which enables you to find a 1km square centred on the SW corner of the 6 figure part of the Cache reference.

Once you get there, you are at the SW corner of a 100m square, you can then estimate the amount of Northing and Easting to get to the SW corner of the 8 figure reference (a 10m square).

A Silva Romer helps with this but you have to make sure you have printed the map at 100%, to do that save it as a jpeg insert it in to something like Word or a picture editor which has ruler guides and shrink it to 7.5cm across.

Edited by sebastiantombs