Idea For Forum - Positive Article Repository

KnifeMaker

I recently made a pitch to our towns Mayor and our local Parks Department about the positive aspects of Geocaching. This came as the result of the Parks Department removing one my caches for the 3rd time while doing their annual landscaping of the area. I asked the Parks Department to please leave anything clearly labeled as a Geocache and it explained how it attracts visitors to parks and landmarks in the area which is something our Mayor has spoken of often.

I recall reading at least a couple of articles about towns that had embraced and even promoted Geocaching as a way to attract visitors and promote their area attractions. However when I went searching for the articles, I could not find them.

I would like to propose that this forum create a "Pinned" repository for such articles or links to articles and sites that promote the positive aspects of Geocaching. I feel this would serve everybody as a ready reference library for those needing "ammunition" to support their case when trying to convince local officials that Geocaching is really a good thing for the community.

I know that I have read a few stories about local governments that have used Geocaching to promote their parks and attracts tourists. I remember reading about one that went so far as to place their own caches in parks with coupons and prizes.

Lets start collecting these "good" articles and make them available to all. It seems like the few "bad" stories always get all of the press attention. It's time to turn that around.

What's wrong with the existing repository here? Were you looking for stuff more specific to land managers? If so there are some good forum threads that collect links to land manager websites where geocaching is promoted as a positive activity in their parks and forests.

That's great. I didn't see that when I was looking for support articles.

However, I think it would help if we could somehow compile those that specifically relate to local government support of Geocaching. A few enlightened areas have embraced Geocaching as a great promotional tool for the area. More often than not though, it seems the almost automatic initial reaction from parks departments and city governments is negative.