How Crooked Can You Get?

IceCreamMan

Does this guy expect that someone who didn't actually notice the Shipping amount would actually follow through on the purchase? I know I wouldn't have.

Seventeen Bucks for Shipping one coin on ebay.

I see this on e-bay all the time, they have fixed price that they want, but don't want to pay the final value fees to e-bay, so sell it for less than a buck, but charge what you want for shipping, (actual price wanted for the item) as they don't charge extra fees on shipping. The bottom line is the more the auction sells for the more e-bay charges, they just don't charge more for inflated shipping. <_<

Shipping will only cost about 2$, it all that handling that's so costly... :o

Even if you include packing materials and the envelope, one coin wouldn't cost me more than $1 to ship (domestic first class). I thought it was hilarious that at $16.99, it doesn't even include insurance (which is $1.35 more). <_< <-- wrong icon to use? Maybe this one is more appropriate? --> :blink:

Ebay should put in a rule that says if the shipping and handling costs more than the final selling price, then they get a cut out of it as well. :tired:<_<

--Marky

Ebay actually does have a policy against obsene shipping charges, the sale just needs to be reported. However, if the going price for the coin on ebay is $18-$20, then the final cost is the same as the rest on there and what does it matter how it's broken down?? (I don't know if that is the going rate, just hypothetical)

Ebay actually does have a policy against obsene shipping charges, the sale just needs to be reported. However, if the going price for the coin on ebay is $18-$20, then the final cost is the same as the rest on there and what does it matter how it's broken down?? (I don't know if that is the going rate, just hypothetical)

Pretty much says it all.

If you think that's outrageous, try looking up auctions for small electronics, or specifically, CF Cards for digital cameras. $75.00 shipping for a $1.59 item!!! eBay can't catch them all, so they'll keep doing it.

Does this guy expect that someone who didn't actually notice the Shipping amount would actually follow through on the purchase? I know I wouldn't have.

Its called fee avoidance and against eBay policy (cause they get less $$) I personally see nothing wrong with it at all as long as it is posted when you pay with paypal the amount it the same either way weather is 0.01 BIN with 16.99 s/h or 17.00 BIN with free s/h either way you send him/her 17.00 I am all for it eBay is a gready company anyway.

Its called fee avoidance and against eBay policy (cause they get less $$) I personally see nothing wrong with it at all as long as it is posted when you pay with paypal the amount it the same either way weather is 0.01 BIN with 16.99 s/h or 17.00 BIN with free s/h either way you send him/her 17.00 I am all for it eBay is a gready company anyway.

Not that I really care if ebay makes money or not, but if the final price is the same but with inflated shipping they aren't paying (or paying less) final sales fees, doesn't that make the seller the greedy one? Greedy Company = bad, Greedy person = ok? :wub:

You could report this person to ebay if this listing offends you that much and they (ebay) will pull the listing. Reporting activity like this will force people to be honest. Just a suggestion. -BK

Why stop there? Report the abuse, minimize eBay use and stick to trades as much as possible. Takes care of more than one crook. :wub:

You could report this person to ebay if this listing offends you that much and they (ebay) will pull the listing. Reporting activity like this will force people to be honest. Just a suggestion. -BK

But how isn't the seller being honest? He put the amount he charges for his "shipping and handling" in the auction. Not like he's letting people bid on his item and then charging them an outrageous amount.

The seller is being dishonest because he/she is avoiding the listing fees for ebay. If he sold it for $17 and charges $1 for shipping and Ebay takes, say 10%, he pays them $1.70 for a listing fee. If he sells it for $1 and charges $17 for Shipping and handling, he pays ebay .10 cents. He's cheating in order to not pay the correct listing fee to Ebay.

The seller is being dishonest because he/she is avoiding the listing fees for ebay. If he sold it for $17 and charges $1 for shipping and Ebay takes, say 10%, he pays them $1.70 for a listing fee. If he sells it for $1 and charges $17 for Shipping and handling, he pays ebay .10 cents. He's cheating in order to not pay the correct listing fee to Ebay.

He paid his listing fee already by listing it... He's not avoiding it there.

And if Ebay thought his shipping and handling fees were trying to avoid certain fees they wouldn't list it. I know that they pulled my listing before it was even listed because I mentioned two different paypal accounts. Apparently, Ebay doesn't feel this auction was in violation.

He paid his listing fee already by listing it... He's not avoiding it there.

And if Ebay thought his shipping and handling fees were trying to avoid certain fees they wouldn't list it. I know that they pulled my listing before it was even listed because I mentioned two different paypal accounts. Apparently, Ebay doesn't feel this auction was in violation.

There was technically no violation, since the auction ended with no bidders. :blink: In this case, the complaint is usually filed by the buyer AFTER the delivery, since it could have been shipped Express Mail even though the seller said it was standard First Class Mail. Instead of the item getting banned, eBay tracks the seller's behavior for a possible site ban later. And in most cases, eBay do not pre-emptively enforce their policies - usually they do so after a complaint, including most of the ones you read about in the news.

No, Eartha is right-the seller is gouging. As an eBay seller, I know from my own experience from selling my pennies, the difference between starting a sale at .99 and 1.25 is almost a quarter. Can you imagine the difference between $1.00 and $17.00? By the way, the name of that fee is called the finale value fee, which assumes and expects you to start the auction at the value of the coin. That is where he is gouging.

No, people aren't expected to start the auction at the value of the item. Just explaining the fee.

I try not to take advantage with shipping. I use recycled packing, so no need to charge horrendous amounts there. I charge only what the postage rates are, and give the buyer a choice. I get more repeat buyers that way. I suspect this seller isn't running out to purchase $15 in packing material.

My favorite auction is the one offering a compass rose 06 at the low BIN price of $35! Any takers?

Ridiculous shipping charges have become par for the course on eBay. You can get a great price on something, but the shipping is truly inappropriate. The new iPaq I picked up for caching I landed for $172 shipped (only $10 of that was shipping), and it cost them over $9 to actually ship it. Very few times will you see me paying the ridiculous shipping amounts, which only happens if I have a HUGE need for something, and the combined cost is still less than I would pay for it elsewhere.

I don't condone the listing but have you seen the ebay fees. They get you coming and going. First, they charge you for listing the darn item and than when you sell it they charge a percentage of the final price. :lol: So excuse me if I am not jumping up and down in defense of ebay. :lol:

Don't forget they also get you with Paypal fees if you use Paypal. 30 cents plus 3% or so... Even on money thats already in the system.

:laughing: Not to mention the fee charged for credit cards! (Pay pal IS E-Bay)

Ryder3

Actually, that fee isn't just for credit cards. Once you upgrade from the standard(so that you can accept credit/debit cards) they charge you for any money that you receive, regradless of where that money has come from.

PayPal fees are actually fairly competitive compared to other payment processing services (visa, mastercard etc).

The listing and Final value fees charged by ebay are far far less than what you'd pay in commission to an auction house or consignment store.

Apples to Apples, ebay/paypal fee's are either on par or less than their competitors. Somehow people get the idea that since it's on the internet...it should be free.

Take your geocoin or any other item to a broker, auction house or retailer and see how much they'll charge you to sell it for you.

PayPal fees are actually fairly competitive compared to other payment processing services (visa, mastercard etc).

The listing and Final value fees charged by ebay are far far less than what you'd pay in commission to an auction house or consignment store.

Apples to Apples, ebay/paypal fee's are either on par or less than their competitors. Somehow people get the idea that since it's on the internet...it should be free.

Take your geocoin or any other item to a broker, auction house or retailer and see how much they'll charge you to sell it for you.

It's not so much that I think everything should be free on the internet... But I do remember when it was free to list on Ebay. The rates also are kind of crappy for stores, 8% closing value fee for up to $25.

As for Paypal(which is also Ebay for all intents and purposes), I also remember when it was free for everyone, even to accept credit cards. Then they started to charge and corner the market in credit card payments online. I don't really have a problem with the fees for accepting credit/debit card payments from them. However, I run into the problem of charging fees for money that is already in the system or comes from a savings/checking account. When money is already in their system, its already had a percentage taken out. Then it runs through the system again and has the same fee taken out once again. This can be repeated many, many times.

Man, thats a great system.

It's not so much that I think everything should be free on the internet... But I do remember when it was free to list on Ebay. The rates also are kind of crappy for stores, 8% closing value fee for up to $25.

As for Paypal(which is also Ebay for all intents and purposes), I also remember when it was free for everyone, even to accept credit cards. Then they started to charge and corner the market in credit card payments online. I don't really have a problem with the fees for accepting credit/debit card payments from them. However, I run into the problem of charging fees for money that is already in the system or comes from a savings/checking account. When money is already in their system, its already had a percentage taken out. Then it runs through the system again and has the same fee taken out once again. This can be repeated many, many times.

Man, thats a great system.

PayPal started to charge "maintenance fees" for the money deposited in their money market account, too. They were already making money from it, but needed more! (In their defense, they have competitive rates)

Trying to satisfy shareholders and insiders tend to cause stuff like this. Real growth is over, so they need an artificial one. :laughing:

Just a quick reply to say that this kind of selling on eBay gives that wonderful company a bad rep and it really ticks me off. No matter how good a deal it is in whole, I will never buy something for less than a buck that has 10x that amount in shipping.

I reported it. I know it ended already but in the future they will see this user had been reported before. So lets wait and see what they do, maybe it can prevent this from this guy in the future.

Edited by scavok