From The Gainesville, Fl Sun

ebinfl

It's about time! There's some fantastic State parks and rec areas in that part of Florida. Perhaps the state will encourage folks to place caches on land their tax dollars are already paying to maintain.

If there aren't any now, I hope they put some underwater ones in Ichetucknee River State Park and Kings Bay (Crystal River)

ranger-rob, Florida state parks are very receptive to geocaching, and there are already caches in Ichtetucknee, though none underwater. I'd doubt they'd want to see an underwater cache there, as the river bottom is already struggling to maintain vegetation with the heavy tubing load it carries.

I'm glad there's some in the park. It's a truly beautiful place. I probably spoke out of turn somewhat as the last time I was there was about <cough>20<cough chough> years ago, long before civillian GPS and geocaching. I did however, dive and snorkle the river several times (ok, about 15). The setup at the south park was fantastic. The only issue I ever had was a less than plesant bus driver not wanting to take myself and 6 other divers (fully equipped in wet suits, weight belts,and lugging BCD/tank/octopi) from the south end back to the north end where we'd parked. Anyhow that a another story.

As I remember, the bottom was mostly sand and the water, aside from being pretty cold and clear as air, moved along at a pretty good rate. I did my Rescue Diver cert. dives there and fighting the current made and already difficult set of tasks even more so because there was no break form the current. Now that I think about it, a cache in the river wouldn't be very practical unless the entire thing was waterproof and the log consisted of slates and a pencil. Fighting the currents would make a traditional type container inpractical and getting out of the water between the north and south ends is a pretty dicey proposition on a good day.

Anyhow, it's good to know there's some there. Now maybe I can convince my caching partner that she really needs to go :D

doncha mean the "itchmytushie" river?

ahh yes....Scouting memories....

M

Having been wearing a wetsuit every time I was there I don't remember getting the itchies ... but ... I do remember fondly (being careful to "code" things up a bit and keep this G rated) that UF isn't that far away and the effect that fact had on the scenery at the park and ... well, um... the "wildlife" went wild a few times (much to the enjoyment of a bunch of Army guys practicing their SCUBA techniques. Ya know, I wish we had rebreathers sometimes.

doncha mean the "itchmytushie" river?

Having been wearing a wetsuit every time I was there I don't remember getting the itchies ... but ... I do remember fondly (being careful to "code" things up a bit and keep this G rated) that UF isn't that far away and the effect that fact had on the scenery at the park and ... well, um... the "wildlife" went wild a few times (much to the enjoyment of a bunch of Army guys practicing their SCUBA techniques. Ya know, I wish we had rebreathers sometimes.

well, there was that, but we used to call it that from the rocks that would itch yer tush as you floated down on yer tube....

M

well, there was that, but we used to call it that from the rocks that would itch yer tush as you floated down on yer tube....

M

Of all the times I went there I never tubed it. Only one trip did go down it without tanks, thanks to an Open Water student that had a particularly difficult time with a skill set and a very patient instructor... I'm not complaining, just commenting, and we were on a pretty tight time schedule so refilling tanks was out. Anyhow,

assuming the park is as nice as I remember it, anyone who's never been and passes on the opportunity to dive/snorkle/tube the river is missing an excellent opportunity. For a day trip, that place is better than Disney if you like to swim.

Note: If you plan to dive/snorkle, the water temp is 72 F (+/- a degree or 2) year round. A wetsuit is highly reccomended even in the summer. A light "surfer suit" is just fine.