Archived?

Poidawg

I was wondering.

Im new to the sport/game and when I first started I printed out some cache pages. That was last fall. Since then some of these caches have been archived.

Some have been archived just to be repaired and spruced up. They have become active again.

Some have disappeared completely, and I was wondering, other than maybe lack of interest or finding out that the place you placed your cache in the summer is in a flood zone in the winter or something like that. I was wondering how many of you have archived a cache, how many caches, and why you archived them.

Just curious.

Edited by Poidawg

Things change. It is a universal law of nature.

I have archived two caches. One because the place it was hidden is no longer there.

The site was bulldozed for new development.

The other was one of my first caches. In all honesty it was a lousy cache.

I archived it and used the lesson to improve my future hides.

I have also seen caches archived to open up an area for new caches.

The idea is that a cache has been there for so long that it is getting stale and a new one will bring all the old finders back to the area again.

People have also archived caches when they have relocated to a different area.

If they are no longer around to maintain the caches they can archive them or put them up for adoption by others.

I was wondering.

Im new to the sport/game and when I first started I printed out some cache pages. That was last fall. Since then some of these caches have been archived.

Some have been archived just to be repaired and spruced up. They have become active again.

Just a point of clarification on the wording, an "archived" cache isn't taken down for repair or similar, but it would be "disabled" temporarily to do so. Should it go missing, need a new container, be under a foot of water (and it's not supposed to for that particular cache! <_<) then it would be disabled. Archiving is for when the cache will not be back on the site for whatever reason. Caches can be unarchived, however, but only by a site admin or reviewer. Caches can be disabled and re-enabled by the cache owner (as well as a site admin and/or reviewer).

Hope that helps.

I have 13 archived listings, not counting events, which are temporary by their nature. Archived for a variety of reasons. Floods, fires and bulldozers for some. The one that got bulldozed was in the state forest and they never did do anything with that spot. I thought maybe they were going to put in a sampling well when the area got 'dozed. A few I placed and then my work pattern changed, so they were hard to maintain. When they needed to be replaced or repaired I archived. One was a webcam, when the camera became too unreliable, I archived. One was at a museum in the small town nearby. They did extensive grounds renovations and eliminated the little gazebo where my hide resided. I did talk with them about a hide in a new place, but they really wanted something inside (where folks would have to pay) and I wasn't interested in that.

The only one I miss is the one that got bulldozed in the forest, a pretty spot with a small spring/sump system. A ferny grotto, now bulldozed and bare. It's been 2 and half years, and they still haven't done anything there besides run a dozer thru.

I've archived 35 of my caches so far. The reasons are varied.

- I archived all my lame micros, because they were spawning copycats. People found them and actually thought they were a good idea :anitongue: . I figured I'd rather my caches set a good example.

- Three were archived after they went missing.

- A few were archived when I improved upon the original hide.

- Several I felt were just plain stupid after some thought.

- A few were wildly unpopular with 2 or 3 finds in a year.

- One was in a flood plain and I tired of drying it out.

- Some just outlived their usefulness. Though they might have been the first cache in a certain park, there were now other caches there, that in some cases were better.

- One was archived because I didn't feel like driving to the area to maintain it.

- One was a moving cache and I was concerned about the same issues that GC.Com was concerned about when they banned them.

- Two were event caches.

- One I noticed was on a military base (by about 100 feet). Moving it those 100 feet would have eliminated the cool reason I placed it, so I archived it.

Edited by briansnat