Magellan Explorist 500 & Uploading Waypoints

I previously used the MAGELLAN GOLD with an older version of easygps and had no difficulty uploading waypoints but thats not the case with my new MAGELLAN eXplorist 500 using EASYGPS 2.3.1.

Initially in setting the preferences in EASYGPS I was asked to select port and speed but the only option is CONNECTION VIA: file. Under COORDINATE FORMAT, ADD FORMAT once a selection is made the OK button is grayed out.

Sending the waypoints to the folder on my GPS entitled GEOCACHING a file is saved with the extension *.upt* from there I can not find this file anywhere once my unit is disconnected from my pc and turned on.

AND yes, I have clicked on the HELP button when in EASYGPS under CONNECTION VIA: FILE and read and reread the step by step directions layed out by MAGELLAN. I still can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stashseeker@aol.com

Instead of Geocaches, use the My POIs folder. The upt format is for regular POIs; they have to be in the My POIs folder or a subfolder located within.

Geocache POIs require a .gs ending; they are a completely different format. You would need to use the Conversion Manager Software, GSAK, or GPSBabel to create files in the .gs format.

THANKS!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY PREFERENCE OVER GPSBABEL OR GSNK?

Instead of Geocaches, use the My POIs folder. The upt format is for regular POIs; they have to be in the My POIs folder or a subfolder located within.

Geocache POIs require a .gs ending; they are a completely different format. You would need to use the Conversion Manager Software, GSAK, or GPSBabel to create files in the .gs format.

When you are exporting in GSAK, choose the explorist geocache format and name the file with a .gs extension, and put it into a Geocache folder. For other waypoints/POIs, choose the explorist POI format, name it with a .upt extension and save it into a POI folder. They will not be recognized in the unit without these extensions.

You may want to create these on your hard drive first, and check them out. They are text files, so you can open them with anything. Then drag them over to your explorist after USB connected.

Edited by EScout

Thanks so much for the instructions and I followed them to a T, however, still no files are recognized in my SD geocache file folder. When I am importing the downloads i generate from geocaching.com could i be using the wrong format? Shouldn't they be .loc? Could my GPS not be formated correctly? Ughhhhh I'm about ready to toss this thing!

*stomps on box*

Here are explicit instructions for sending waypoints to an Explorist using GSAK.

I did as you instructed and still not able to view. I know it's me and not the software or the GPS just need the lightbulb to go off!

When you are exporting in GSAK, choose the explorist geocache format and name the file with a .gs extension, and put it into a Geocache folder. For other waypoints/POIs, choose the explorist POI format, name it with a .upt extension and save it into a POI folder. They will not be recognized in the unit without these extensions.

You may want to create these on your hard drive first, and check them out. They are text files, so you can open them with anything. Then drag them over to your explorist after USB connected.

Here is how I do it:

You need to be in file transfer mode on your explorist

Open up GSAK

File: Export: Magellan Explorist and SD card

That brings up the export dialogue box

Required format: Explorist POIs

File to create: I upload directly to the card so mine will say

F:\My POIs\hamilton.upt

If you want to upload geocaches then you have to drop the Required format to Explorist Geocaches and your save string would be

F:\Geocaches\hamilton.gs

Remember it can only take 200 geocaches in one file before it drops them off. I put most in My POIs, and if I know I am going to a particular area for the day, then I will upload just those to a gs file.

I had a hard time at first, but now find it very easy. Sometimes I make mistakes though....last weekend I forgot to drop it to Explorist POIs and couldnt figure out why I had nothing in my active file.

Don't forget you have to make the file active afterward on the gps....Menu.....Preferences.....Active Setup

You will love how easy it is once you get going. I love my 500.

Good luck...I hope it helps

Are you able to see the file on the card via Windows Explorer, but the GPS doesn't show anything? If so, you might be looking in internal memory instead of SD card memory. In active setup, select Geocaching file by navigating up one level until you can select SD memory, then drill down to the Geocache folder on the SD card. Your file should be there.

UGHHHHHHHH I'm completely comfused and frustrated. I downloaded GSAK in order to convert the file to .gs and exported (sent) to the Magellan eXplorist 500 my POI folder. Still nothing AND there is no option for converting these files to .gs

Re-reading what you have written, this might be a problem, too. gs files go in the geocaching folder, upt files go in My POIs. Escout gave you good instructions, though, so if you followed them this probably isn't the difficulty if you're still not seeing the file with the GPS.

Some people find the structure of the Explorist a little frustrating until they understand how it works, then it's a piece of cake.

I finally was able to upload waypoints to my MAGELLAN EXPLORIST 500 but was disappointed to find that sitting next to my MAGELLAN GOLD my distances were off by 2 miles....not sure if I set up the Explorist with the correct distance default (kilometers instead of miles).

My question NOW is: With my MAGELLAN GOLD I am able to go to the SETUP MENU/NAV SCREENS and I can turn on or off SAT STATUS/COMPAS/LARGE DATA/POSTITION/ROAD/DATA/SPEED. I'm not able to find where I can do that with the EXPLORIST and I miss the ROAD screen!!!! Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? Gawd don't tell me that option isn't available because for the life of me you can't find a cache without it as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for your time! And yes, I've looked and looked for online data help.

... With my (Merdian) I am able to go to the SETUP MENU/NAV SCREENS and I can turn on or off SAT STATUS/COMPAS/LARGE DATA/POSTITION/ROAD/DATA/SPEED. I'm not able to find where I can do that with the EXPLORIST ... don't tell me that option isn't available ...
Sorry, that option isn't available.

Thales "simplified" the available screens on the eXplorist line to what they thought "most users" would need. Bad idea for just about everyone else.

I've done very well using the map and compass rose screens on my 500

The explorist has only 4 screens.

1 sat status screen

2 map screen

3 compass rose screen

4 data screen showing location, elevation, accuracy, date/time, trip odometer, battery,

edited to add

I compared my magellan gold to the 500 for about 3 weeks and the 500 constanly beat the gold,

check your set up if the 500 is showing that far off

Edited by vagabond