First Aid

In college I took first aid. It was a good class I learned a lot.

Three years ago I took it again and the CPR rules had changed. Overall simpler.

This month I updated. Now I'm supposed to Introduce myself, state that I'm trained in first aid, and ask permission. Unless they can't respond then I am to assume that they want help. Being myself I asked "If we can assume that they wan't help if they can't respond, then can we assume they want help when they can resond and that they will tell is that they don't want help if they don't? This would save time."

The answer was "If you don't ask first and they don't want help, that can be battery". I guess the good samaratin laws don't cover battery.

On top of that the class has been dumbed down. Apparently if you are hiking in the woods that's a more advanced kind of first aid. They didn't say that when we did the introduction we had to say what level of first aid we are trained in.

Then I got to talking with my wife about these changes and a trained nurse she said that she can be held laible for helping since she is a professional and not just a good samaratin.

I hate to say this but between the dumb asses who sued for battery and won and the PC society we live in people are going to die who quite frankly could have lived.

Medicine changes on an almost daily basis. I remember taking my first First Aid and CPR class as a Cub Scout over 15 years ago and it's alot different than the things that I was taught at my last CPR refresher. The reason that alot of First Aid is "Dumbed Down" is to make it simpler in an effort to get more people to help others. For instance CPR is revolving now to be nothing but chest compressions. The American Heart Association is removing Manual Ventilation in an effort that hopefully more people will do it and the patient will at least get some assistance.

The idea of consent is one that still gives me a headache at times, even after 6 years of EMS experience. A person is allowed to refuse any kind of care as long as they are an adult, does not have an altered level of consciouness, or an emancipated minor. If someone is not responsive or 'passed out" then it's considered Implied Consent. The idea being if the person was awake and coherent then they would want someone to help them in their time of need. If the person is injured but doesn't want your help then I'd say call an ambulance and let us deal with the headache.

Now Good Samaritan Laws are a completely different subject. True some states have them and some don't. The basic idea is that no matter where you are if you are trying to help, and dont cause any additional help then there is no legal ground for a case against you. Now there is also the fact that you can't do anything more than you are trained to do. For instance, if I was off-duty and happened to find a person not breathing, then I couldn't do any kind of advanced life support measures. If I did then no Good Samaritan Laws would cover me.

The best thing to do is do no more than you are trained and try to ask the person if they want help. If you dont feel comfortable with the situation call EMS.

I've rendered assistance in fairly serious accidents twice - both times in the company of a good friend who is an RN. I live in Florida! hurray! we were both protected from nitwits who might want to sue somebody that wades into the bloody carnage of a nasty auto wreck and renders assistance.

I really need to update on the CPR.

I live in a state with a GS law, yet the dumb PC laws still come into play.

My work recently was cited by OSHA because we were not properly trained to handle blood born pathogens. Mind you, I'm not in a high exposure job like a nurse or EMT. Spent an afternoon in class, learning what OSHA and the Red Cross would like us to do. Yea, it looks good on paper, and I'm sure it would reduce my exposure to evil germs, but it's not realistic. If something happened and my co-worker started spurting blood all over the place, my only concern is is to apply pressure and reduce the bleeding. I'm NOT going to be worried about putting on latex gloves, eye protection and a mask. I'm not going to bother with containment booms, bleach solutions and red bags. The guy could bleed to death while I dealt with all that crap.

I let my Illinois Industrial Medical Technician / First Responder certification expire two years ago. Even Good Samaritan laws can't always protect you. I'll ask if someone needs help, but if they refuse, I'll contact the authorities. I guess if I knew that they really needed help and refused, I could always hit them over the head and knock them out, then treat 'em!

I think a lot of the information they pump you up with is overrated hypothetical crap & scare tactics. Slow down and think before you act.

Yes anyone can sue you for anything but if you use good common sense you should be fine. Did you have malicious intent when you provided the aid?

As far as I am concerned if you don’t have a pulse and you are not breathing you are dead. CPR will do nothing other than keep the bystanders busy and something to do EMS gets there.

If they are conscious don’t touch them unless they are in a deadly situation unless moving them is the only option.

Even better...look at who your local Good Samaritan law covers. I have to be First Aid/CPR certified for Girl Scouts and my state has a Good Samaritan law. So, because I'm not a professional, I can't be sued for helping someone in need (as long as they have given consent); however, the person who TRAINED me can. ARC backs their trainers so they're not left flapping in the legal breeze, but not all organizations will.

Also, CPR as taught by ARC will be changing next year (according to my last class - taken Monday). So for those who normally challenge their way through their annual renewal, don't expect to next year! <_<

<edit>

I guess if I knew that they really needed help and refused, I could always hit them over the head and knock them out, then treat 'em!

Actually, ARC teaches that once consent is denied, you can't then treat them once they go unconscious without risking suit by them or their family. Just hope they're unconscious when you arrive or, better yet, that you never have to use it.

if you don’t have a pulse and you are not breathing you are dead. CPR will do nothing other than keep the bystanders busy and something to do EMS gets there

True in a way. CPR is never intended to restart the heart. It is not like the movies where you work on the guy and suddenly he coughs and comes to. CPR is merely to keep the organs from deteriorating from loss of oxygen until the pros arrive and can put the poor sod on the machines.

Edited by Frettchen_2006

Even better...look at who your local Good Samaritan law covers. I have to be First Aid/CPR certified for Girl Scouts and my state has a Good Samaritan law. So, because I'm not a professional, I can't be sued for helping someone in need (as long as they have given consent); however, the person who TRAINED me can. ARC backs their trainers so they're not left flapping in the legal breeze, but not all organizations will.

Also, CPR as taught by ARC will be changing next year (according to my last class - taken Monday). So for those who normally challenge their way through their annual renewal, don't expect to next year! <_<

<edit>

I guess if I knew that they really needed help and refused, I could always hit them over the head and knock them out, then treat 'em!

Actually, ARC teaches that once consent is denied, you can't then treat them once they go unconscious without risking suit by them or their family. Just hope they're unconscious when you arrive or, better yet, that you never have to use it.

if you don’t have a pulse and you are not breathing you are dead. CPR will do nothing other than keep the bystanders busy and something to do EMS gets there

True in a way. CPR is never intended to restart the heart. It is not like the movies where you work on the guy and suddenly he coughs and comes to. CPR is merely to keep the organs from deteriorating from loss of oxygen until the pros arrive and can put the poor sod on the machines.

Just today I was driving and came to one of the few stop signs in our city (for some reason towns in NE don't have stop signs at most street intersections even the larger ones) Waited for oncoming traffic and I hear Crunch. Old lady had ran stop sign and tboned another older gentleman. With a sigh, I got out of the car and went to check on them since I was the only other car around. Get to the car that caused the accident (both airbags had deployed) and checked the woman who seems a little dazed, and was holding her left arm kind of limp and I reclosed her door and told to her to sit tight while I checked on the other man. Got to the other man who was getting out of car and was kind of wandering. Tried to get him to sit down. By this time some neighbors had come out of their houses to check on the noise and they ran over to the first car and started to get the first woman out of the car. I was like what the heck are you thinking moving someone that could have a neck injury. Arrgh. Police and the fire truck rolled up and took over but I am glad I didn't have to perform any kind of care to the first lady because of the possible damage the onlookers may have caused. Gave my statement to the police and he told me I could so I high tailed it out of there. The fireman were with woman who was sitting on the curb now and holding her head while they were getting a board, collar ready <_<

I think it all comes down to the American Way--- "I'm going to sue you!" Back in the early '70's I became a paramedic, when it was just a fledgling program. We did some amazing things to save lives, stuff we were never taught, but we got the job done. There were no helicopters, we used to take the side seats out of little airplanes and put the stretchers there. That was how we flew patients out. (I live in the mountains)

..anyway, I remember how proud we were that we were paramedics (me, a female one at that), even put the shiny medical sticker on the back of our cars...boy, did all that change when LAWSUITS started coming left and right. Yes, the Good Samaritan law will protect you provided your actions weren't WAY out of line and you were doing the best you could. But those shiny stickers came off our cars as we were being sued for NOT stopping at accidents. (didn't happen to me, but someone I know) And now EVERYONE gets a collar and backboard "Just In Case" (of lawsuit). Don't get me started on all the unnecessary xrays and other tests done in ER's, just because of the threat of getting sued ( I worked an ER for 20 years).

Don't get me wrong. I think everyone should take First Aid and CPR. It's just a shame that there are so many people who are out to make a buck. It's a horrendous circle. Frivolous lawsuits are driving medical care and insurance costs through the roof. <_<

Team_Talisman consists(all family members) includes EMT. x-nurse(some lower certifications always renewd), Life Guards, Wildland fire fighters, first responders and WSI besides other certifications among the 7 of us. Not all of us go on cache hunts every time.

Thank goodness we live in a state that has a good samaritan law.

Dave from Team_Talisman

--------

Now I'm supposed to Introduce myself, state that I'm trained in first aid, and ask permission. Unless they can't respond then I am to assume that they want help. Being myself I asked "If we can assume that they wan't help if they can't respond

---------

I first took first aid and CPR back [cough] 20 years ago... The Red Cross taught exactly the same thing at that time. 12 years ago, I was a certified trainer, and that's what we were taught to teach...

Maybe the first time wasn't Red Cross and this time was, or something?

All I know is this guy and his family were THANKFUL we were in the area. My wife is an ex-EMT and we didn't think twice about helping. The risk of a law suit is far less than someone dying from complicated injuries in the wilderness.

Out of curiosity, would he have perished had she said "hi my name's ____, I'm firstaid certified, can I help?"

A couple times through with a stopwatch, average 2.2seconds...

I let my Illinois Industrial Medical Technician / First Responder certification expire two years ago. Even Good Samaritan laws can't always protect you. I'll ask if someone needs help, but if they refuse, I'll contact the authorities. I guess if I knew that they really needed help and refused, I could always hit them over the head and knock them out, then treat 'em!

Many moons ago, when I was going through my EMT training in S. California, our instructor actually presented that as an option. During his lecture on Implied Consent, he said, "you could always just wait for them to lose consciousness, and then treat em". We thought it was weird at the time, and maybe even a little unethical, but I never had to find out.

These are the same geniuses that believe it's okay when bears eat humans ... Dumber than a bag full of hammers.

This is a personal attack and also a distortion of what was said. Nobody thinks it's "OK"... just that you need to expect it because of how we have conditioned the animals. End of offtopic tirade.

Just some quick clarifications;

1. Anyone can sue anybody for anything. The Good Sam laws either have the case dismissed, is your defense or keeps any reputable lawyer from taking the case.

2. Been FIrst Aid trained for almost 30 years, am a trainer and also married to a health professional who teaches CPR. Asking has always been part of any training.

3. Keeping #1 in mind, health professionals are no more liable if they come upon an accident scene UNLESS they go beyond what is necessary or deemed as first aid.

Having said this, I am not a lawyer however have had to deal with situations like this on more than one occasion and have, in the past, discussed with lawyers. Your mileage may vary, however Good Sam law or not, someone needs help and I know how to give it, they're going to get it. It would be easier to face the consequences than to have to look myself in the mirror after having walked away.

Now I have a question; Why is this in the Geocaching topics?

...Now I have a question; Why is this in the Geocaching topics?

Because I have been more places ,seen more things, and met more people of all walks (though seldom geocacher) while geocaching than in most other parts of my life. Perhaps most important I have met those people in odd circumstances like in the woods at midnight where the alcohal comes out of the cab of their truck thick as fog while they go to get 'firewood'.

That's why.

Changing subjects. I looked at Jeremy's link. That page is by the AIA and is targeting Architects but the laws cover engineers as well. That's not something that I had thought of, however since Engineering is my line of work and recently I've been looking into some way to help out in an emergency it's an important angle. Idaho may be covered by a good samaratin law for first aid, but it's not for Engineering. Funny thing, the river running through town is at flood stage.

just to add my 2 bits.... at a place i worked at a few years ago a good friend of mine had a heart attack half way through our night shift. the first responder (who worked there as well) that treated him on sight had to come into my department where his mother worked and get her permission to treat him, because he was unable to respond, but wasn't passed out. he said since he is a first responder and there was a family member that worked there as well, he HAD to ask her permission because my friend couldn't comprehend what was happening and ok the treatment

In college I took first aid. It was a good class I learned a lot.

Three years ago I took it again and the CPR rules had changed. Overall simpler.

This month I updated. Now I'm supposed to Introduce myself, state that I'm trained in first aid, and ask permission. Unless they can't respond then I am to assume that they want help. Being myself I asked "If we can assume that they wan't help if they can't respond, then can we assume they want help when they can resond and that they will tell is that they don't want help if they don't? This would save time."

The answer was "If you don't ask first and they don't want help, that can be battery". I guess the good samaratin laws don't cover battery.

On top of that the class has been dumbed down. Apparently if you are hiking in the woods that's a more advanced kind of first aid. They didn't say that when we did the introduction we had to say what level of first aid we are trained in.

Then I got to talking with my wife about these changes and a trained nurse she said that she can be held laible for helping since she is a professional and not just a good samaratin.

I hate to say this but between the dumb asses who sued for battery and won and the PC society we live in people are going to die who quite frankly could have lived.

It is the World we live in NOW :anicute: For better or worse...I guess these are our rewards for living so long? :yikes:

CPR can saves lives... pure and simple. This being worried about being sue kills me!

Case in point.. I worked at a place that did childrens bday parties (family entertainment center) a father of a bday child had a massive heart attack. I walked up and this gentlemans wife was struggling to hold him up at a table while no less then 10 other people stood around watching her! They were afraid to help the tiny woman who was struggling to hold up this man! Me and the wife got the man on the floor and after getting a coworker who I knew also knew CPR to help we began the full blown CPR untill EMS finally arrived.

I still can not believe the man lived... but It brings me joy to know that 12 year old (guess he would be 17 now) has his father still and the wife a husband.

It's not about worrying about being sued. It's not about wanting to be a hero either. It's nothing more then pure human compassion and being able to look in the mirror and live with yourself the next morning.

Would I have done the same thing if I took even a moment at the point to think about being sued... or even knowing full well they would. Absolutely! In my book there is no other answer.

P.S. The wife has called my home a few times over the years. And even if he doesn't remember anything. I still think of him and his family and say a little prayer of thanks that he made it ok!

It's been 26 years since I've been an EMT. I still keep basic First Aid and CPR current, though, and SWMBO is just amazed at times how I will dive into an emergency without hesitation.

We were coming back from a trip to Las Vegas and had a woman crash directly in front of us. Almost included us in her little party as well. SWMBO was driving and I yelled "Pull over!". She did and I bailed out and was first on the scene. The car was upside down and I went down on my belly and saw that the driver was still alive. I was talking to 911 and the driver at the same time, trying to reassure her, when two other guys ran up, yanked the door open (hitting me with it in the process) and pulled the driver out. I'm yelling at them to stop because she might have a back/neck injury and they could damage her permanently; the response I got from one of them was "F*** off, white man!".

Fortunately, it looks like all she had was a badly broken ankle. The EMTs boarded her up as soon as they got there, though. And double fortunately for me, the entire exchange was recorded on the 911 tape and heard by the operator.

Ohhh Clothahump brings up a good point though! I think peeps that don't know what they are doing should leave it to someone who has had the proper training. GAHH sorry that happened to ya hun!

Which brings up a question I have. Most high schoolers have a health edcation in their Jr./Sr. years. I wonder why basic first aid/CPR isn't taught. Something I think everyone should know. The first time I took it was in a lifeguard class my highschool had.

I wonder why basic first aid/CPR isn't taught.

Probably because most schools don't like asking parents to cough of another $45 for a CPR class that most parents won't believe is necessary :D and, much as I like both organizations, I don't see either ARC or AHA doing it for cheaper/free. ARC is, in fact, going to increase their rates next year.

Maybe have it as an elective lab?

Probably because most schools don't like asking parents to cough of another $45 for a CPR class that most parents won't believe is necessary :D and, much as I like both organizations, I don't see either ARC or AHA doing it for cheaper/free. ARC is, in fact, going to increase their rates next year.

This is perhaps a silly question, but why do you have to get certified to learn CPR? I mean, yeah, as a professional, sure, but as a layperson? Can't you just learn how to do it?

Now learn CPR for free

This is perhaps a silly question, but why do you have to get certified to learn CPR? I mean, yeah, as a professional, sure, but as a layperson? Can't you just learn how to do it?

Now learn CPR for free

Well it depends, I suppose, on what you need it for. I *have* to have a certification from ACR or AHA to be a Girl Scout leader (or ensure an adult who attends every meeting has theirs). I'm sure BSA has the same requirements. Otherwise...dunno :D

<edit> Just checked that site and I suppose AHA is very different from ACR. We go a minimum of 2" on compressions and 2 seconds on rescue breaths and haven't gone to the 30:2 cycle (though will next year).

Edited by Frettchen_2006

Now learn CPR for free

Because reading about it is nothing like doing it. As an instructor I've watched lots of people who have read the manual fumble trying to do it correctly. There's nothing like practice to make sure you are doing it right. And doing it wrong can cause problems.

As to the poster who said it won't restart a heart, I've done it. It's something to see someone respond with breathing and heartbeats after being 'dead' (yeah, they rarely wake up right away, but it does happen).

As to the poster who said it won't restart a heart, I've done it. It's something to see someone respond with breathing and heartbeats after being 'dead' (yeah, they rarely wake up right away, but it does happen).

Perhaps I worded it to "absolutely" :D We were taught not to *ever* expect CPR to restart a heart...however, like in everything, there are always exceptions :D

My dad's a doctor. In the '50s and '60s, he used to stop at accidents (I remember one vividly from a Summer vacation). Doctors are in an especially damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don't category these days.

I don't know that he wouldn't pull over for one now, but he says he wouldn't. And he sure got that caduceus off his license plate some time in the early '70s.

This is what happens when we have more lawyers than common sense.

:rolleyes::unsure::)

To play devils advocate though, for every person who sues you for saving them, theres a over-enthusiastic lifesaver that literally wrestles you to the ground and performs mouth to mouth despite your protests.

"Stop, I was just choking a bit!"

"Ma'am, you're delirious, you'll thank me for this later"

*tackle*

As far as I am concerned if you don’t have a pulse and you are not breathing you are dead. CPR will do nothing other than keep the bystanders busy and something to do EMS gets there.

It keeps you from having brain damage from going without oxygen.

You breath air into their lungs, and circulate it with their heart.

What's this silly compulsion toward keeping sick or injured people alive? I don't get it. It's unnatural.

Actually in apes/monkeys in particular helping others is an important trait, because then they owe you a favor when you need help and/or take over as alpha.

The more friends you have the better off you are.

meercats are pretty good about helping each other too.

and I once saw a mouse trying to pull another mouse out of a snakes mouth.

pretty natural

Edited by Team Cyberlove

Oh, I see. You expect to be rewarded.

Addendum: Count me out. If I'm unconscious and dying, let me go, I'm ready. Please, don't presume everyone wants to be 'saved', just because they're unconscious.

Amen to that. I do not want to be 'saved' just so that some do gooder can put another notch on their belt or have some sort of warm fuzzy feeling about themselves. Trust me I will NOT be grateful, rather go save the bear that is being shot

Addendum: Count me out. If I'm unconscious and dying, let me go, I'm ready. Please, don't presume everyone wants to be 'saved', just because they're unconscious.

Sign a living will so time won't be wasted on you that could be better spent saving the life of child. That ain't going to stop someone trained in 1st aid or CPR from trying to save you, but it will stop the EMT's and doctors from keeping you alive. You can't deprive a good cemeritain the good feeling they got from making or trying to make a difference. Unless a person was totally conscious and told me not to, I would do everything I could for the person, if I didn't and I learned that the person died I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Here's my 2 cents:

I got left lying in the woods suffering in excruciating pain and unable to move by a *bad* samaritan when I broke my leg. To this day, it still bothers me that someone could do that. Luckily, the EMTs found me but it took them a long time.

Just help the person who's injured. It's good karma.

Geesh, when did we all get so cynical?

First of all your instructor didn't explain it very well. Asking if you can help someone covers several things. 1. It keeps your one day trained newbie from walking up to someone lying in the park and start feeling the person's legs and arms for broken bones. "Uhm excuse me, would you mind stop doing that? You're blocking the sun".

2. It's freaking common courtesy. Believe it or not there are people who don't want help, there are people who don't need help, and there are people who don't want YOUR help. And I'd certainly want to know if someone is trained in first aid rather than having to say, 'Wait a minute! What the hell are you doing?"

Of course most obviously injured people are going to say yes when asked, but it gives them an opportunity to give a snotty response about what a stupid question it is.

3. An accident scene can be a dangerous place. As an EMT I was trained to first survey the area before entering and the most unpredictable thing in it is usually the injured person. So I'm going to interact with the person before I get within striking distance. They may be combative possibly due to alcohol, head injury or they are simply a homicidal maniac. So in that situation 'Can I help you?' is a very sensible question.

If the best answer from your instructor that we ask so we don't get sued, you might want to reconsider the quality of your training.

Considering that this is a first aid course and not a three month certification you really need to train people to follow a very precise set of instructions. It can be hard to think clearly when 'at a scene' so a step by step process makes it easier to remember and asking a person if you can help them is part of that process. And while it may seem like a stupid question in some cases I'd rather keep it in and tell 1 day trained people to use it in all situations rather than instructing them to 'wing it'.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What's this silly compulsion toward keeping sick or injured people alive? I don't get it. It's unnatural.

So one can assume you would want the same thing for a family member of close friend? If you found your spouse, child, parent, or who ever unconscious ,or seriously injured your response will be to just let them die? What if was an easy fix like a diabetic that just needed an IV with an amp of D50 to bring them around? The heck with it don't bother? If it is a terminal illness I could understand, but the proper documentation has to be there.

Edited by Lt32

Geesh, when did we all get so cynical?

First of all your instructor didn't explain it very well. Asking if you can help someone covers several things. 1. It keeps your one day trained newbie from walking up to someone lying in the park and start feeling the person's legs and arms for broken bones. "Uhm excuse me, would you mind stop doing that? You're blocking the sun".

2. It's freaking common courtesy. Believe it or not there are people who don't want help, there are people who don't need help, and there are people who don't want YOUR help. And I'd certainly want to know if someone is trained in first aid rather than having to say, 'Wait a minute! What the hell are you doing?"

Of course most obviously injured people are going to say yes when asked, but it gives them an opportunity to give a snotty response about what a stupid question it is.

3. An accident scene can be a dangerous place. As an EMT I was trained to first survey the area before entering and the most unpredictable thing in it is usually the injured person. So I'm going to interact with the person before I get within striking distance. They may be combative possibly due to alcohol, head injury or they are simply a homicidal maniac. So in that situation 'Can I help you?' is a very sensible question.

If the best answer from your instructor that we ask so we don't get sued, you might want to reconsider the quality of your training.

Considering that this is a first aid course and not a three month certification you really need to train people to follow a very precise set of instructions. It can be hard to think clearly when 'at a scene' so a step by step process makes it easier to remember and asking a person if you can help them is part of that process. And while it may seem like a stupid question in some cases I'd rather keep it in and tell 1 day trained people to use it in all situations rather than instructing them to 'wing it'.

You missed the really BIG reason you ask such a question. If the person can answer, that means they are breathing and have a heart beat. That's two of the three first checks (sever bleeding is the other).

The problem with carrying an epi-pen is that using it on someone who it's not perscribed for is so far beyond first aid that you are into federal law breaking (prescribing/distributing medication). True, saving a life that way will seldom result in a lawsuit, but if it's not what's needed, boy! are you in trouble. Even using the victim's own epi-pen can have questions raised - the best way it 'help them administer the drugs to themselves'. I'm not saying don't, just be aware what could happen.

You missed the really BIG reason you ask such a question. If the person can answer, that means they are breathing and have a heart beat. That's two of the three first checks (sever bleeding is the other).

Ah yes, you are correct.

Airway (A)

Breathing (B

Circulation (C

Disability (D)

Exposure / Examination (E)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Now learn CPR for free

Because reading about it is nothing like doing it. As an instructor I've watched lots of people who have read the manual fumble trying to do it correctly. There's nothing like practice to make sure you are doing it right. And doing it wrong can cause problems.

What I mean is that you don't need to be certified to do something in order to learn it. So the argument that it is expensive to learn isn't a good one. You could volunteer and teach someone for free if you wanted. It is the certification that costs money.

These organizations don't have a monopoly on CPR training. Some other not for profit could do it for free if they wanted.

Edited by Jeremy