Protective Case For Garmin 60 Series

BrianJR

I'm expecting my new 60Cx to arrive any day now, and I've been thinking about getting a case to protect the unit. It seems like there are two options:

The Garmin

or

The Glisson

I prefer the design of the Garmin case, but the Glisson looks easier to take on and off for access to the USB port. However, the Glisson also has that clip on the back, which I don't need and would get in the way.

I would appreciate some comments from people that have used either case. :D

Thanks all for your input! The invisible shield sound good, but since I do a lot of outdoor stuff (hiking, kayaking) I want to have complete protection so I can just throw the unit in my backpack and forget about it. I'm still not sure which case to get, but since they're so cheap, maybe I should get both and then decide. <_<

Thanks all for your input! The invisible shield sound good, but since I do a lot of outdoor stuff (hiking, kayaking) I want to have complete protection so I can just throw the unit in my backpack and forget about it. I'm still not sure which case to get, but since they're so cheap, maybe I should get both and then decide. <_<

I also had the invisible shield installed on my 60CSx. I carry it in a twin M16 magazine ammo pouch and have it attached to the strap of my backpack when hiking. I am trying to make a better fit carrying case out of 1" and 2" nylon webbing and velcro.

Edited by thyuen

... I've been thinking about getting a case to protect the unit.

I would appreciate some comments from people ...

I discovered this Lowe sunglasses case (see tinyurl link below) exactly fit my GPSMap 60CS as well as my old Garmin GPS V. It's not very expensive and has belt loops for horizontal and vertical wear as well as a clip to go on a belt loop, D ring or carabiner.

I found mine in a bike shop, but Campmor has one too at this link

http://tinyurl.com/4xkx4

TM

Frankendoodle,

It does not have any clips or loops on the back like the Glisson version. But it does have a hole for the Garmin button thingy to stick through to use Garmin-specific mounts.

Garmin does have a carabiner clip even though it is a bit expensive.

I also just received one of the Glisson cases and it is very nice too. I do like the velcro loop and carabiner attachments.

I really like this sharkskin case. I've used it for 2 years and it has held up very well. I did make a modification to it by cutting a slot out of the bottom of the case so that I can fit it into Garmin's car mount without having to take it out if the case.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=BE130

BE130.gif

I also have the sharkskin case and it really does the job. This spring we were scrambling about in deep snow that was melting. We were all wet, and the water drops were all over the front of the case, but no moisture got in. I cut holes in the back and eventually cut one big hole in the back to make getting at the USB port and other connections easier. The nice thing I noticed is that none of the cuts I've intentially put in have spread. You can confidently customize it to your needs. The mouse button (or map panning button) is a little harder to use through the plastic but not signficantly so. I have no difficulty with just setting it down where I want to or throwing it into a backpack or glovebox.