Feature Request

I'm a fan of requiring proof when people log visits to established waymarks. But I understand that not everyone owns a digital camera.

In order to provide a convenient mechanism for giving waymark visitors an opportunity to provide 'proof' of their visit without requiring a photo, I'd like to see an additional text box on the Record Log (waymark visit) page. This text box could be used for filling in a response to a 'proof of visit' request, and the response could be sent to the waymark owners, but wouldn't appear in the waymark visit log.

Here's how this would work:

1) Category owners who want to require proof when people are logging visits to waymarks would mention that proof is required for visits, either in the form of photo or by providing the answer to a question. Category owners would add a (required) text box or multi-line variable to the waymark creation page as a placeholder for waymark creators to enter an appropriate question. The waymark owners would fill in the question when creating the waymark, and because it's a variable, the question will appear on the waymark page (obviously, the question should be one whose answer would not be easily obtained from looking at waymark photos or found through a Google search).

2) When someone logged a visit to a waymark, they could fill in the appropriate answer to the question. The answer would be included in the waymark visit confirmation email which is sent to the waymark owners so they could look at the response and decide to allow/disallow the visit based on the response. The response wouldn't appear in the on-line visit log.

Sure, people could still cheat. They could get the answer from somebody else who had previously visited the waymark. But this new feature would make it easy for the people who don't own a digital camera to provide a convenient form of proof of their visit.

I also understand that there is a way to handle this already (the waymark visitor could just send a separate email with the answer to the question), but this is rather awkward in that the waymark visit confirmation and the answer to the question would be arriving in two separate emails. Once people begin visiting waymarks on a regular basis, reconciling these separate emails could prove to be a burden on the waymark owners. I'm just suggesting this built-in mechanism to make the process easier for everyone.

I mentioned this idea in the photo requirement thread and still agree.. this is a great idea and needs to be implemented to help with proof of visit people...

My variation of the idea was to not only have a question provided by waymark owner but also to have the answer (or maybe a couple possible answers so that the waymark owner could provide one or two mis-spellings)... so essentially it would be like this...

Waymark Question:

"What restaurant is across the street from the waymark?"

Answer:

Mcdonald's, Mcdonalds, mcyds

then the system would match the two words up, it would be best if this was not case sensitive so that a visitor could say MCDONALDS or mcDonald's if they wanted and still be correct.

This makes it so that the owner would have less work and wouldn't have to constantly review visits. Though in all honesty is not necessarily needed and would just be nice for the owner (especially if he had 100 waymarks! Can you imagine?!?!?!). CTD's solution would work fine as well and either way I think everyone would welcome an additional way to prove visit logs (I think some would likely still use photos, but I don't mind saying that I realize some people like just seeing others enjoy their spots... scenic views category that is currently in proposal I think may be better with photo).