Muggle?

Lopezman

Before Rowling invented the word "muggle", purportedly from expanding the Old English word "mug", meaning "fool", the word "muggle" was an American slang term from the 1920's and 30's for a marijuana cigarette. Prior to that, there was also a word "muggle" which meant mist or drizzle, as in a light rain.

I personally don't like to call them Muggles, it seems like a derrogatory term. I think we should call the people who vandalize caches muggles, and everyone else non-cachers. I was a non-cacher not a muggle. People talk about what to do when a muggle asks what you are doing. In the forums it seems like most cachers try to hide what they are actually doing. I try to explain what geocaching is and if they seem interested I show them. Sometimes you have to take a chance. I would have wanted somebody to show me if I had asked.

When I 1st read the word muggle here I was really confused, then I looked it up on the net (google search) and it came up with the Harry Potter reference, then I thought 'how pethetic are these people to steal a word from Harry Potter, or how immature are these people." I still kinda think that, but I'm sure most people on here just use it as a common word to describe someone whos not part of the geocache search. It's no dadgum secret, it's on the web for everyone to see. Broadcasting to people (geocachers or other) where a cache is when you get to is is bad form and stupid. But why hide what ur doing if you're searching for a cache? Like a 'muggle' is going to comb over a large area to find a tupperware container. I've read logs in caches of non geocachers who have found the cache, and have written that they aren't going to wreck the game for 'us' and have exchanged something. Geocaching is no secret, don't pretend that you're on some stealth mission to recover a lost tupperware container!

Before Rowling invented the word "muggle", purportedly from expanding the Old English word "mug", meaning "fool", the word "muggle" was an American slang term from the 1920's and 30's for a marijuana cigarette. Prior to that, there was also a word "muggle" which meant mist or drizzle, as in a light rain.

:) Oh, I never knew that. Interesting info. :laughing:

When I 1st read the word muggle here I was really confused, then I looked it up on the net (google search) and it came up with the Harry Potter reference, then I thought 'how pethetic are these people to steal a word from Harry Potter, or how immature are these people." I still kinda think that, but I'm sure most people on here just use it as a common word to describe someone whos not part of the geocache search. It's no dadgum secret, it's on the web for everyone to see. Broadcasting to people (geocachers or other) where a cache is when you get to is is bad form and stupid. But why hide what ur doing if you're searching for a cache? Like a 'muggle' is going to comb over a large area to find a tupperware container. I've read logs in caches of non geocachers who have found the cache, and have written that they aren't going to wreck the game for 'us' and have exchanged something. Geocaching is no secret, don't pretend that you're on some stealth mission to recover a lost tupperware container!

:lol:

I read a log a week or two ago of a cache that was found by a non-geocaching hunter. He signed the log, left a musket ball and replaced batteries in a flashlight. Not everyone who stumbles upon one by accident is going to wreck it, I'd like to think that 95% of people would either sign the log or at least ignore it. If I didn't know about geocaching and stumbled upon one, I suppose I'd sign the log, probably would get me into it or at least get me looking into what the deal is. Now, back when I was 14 or so I couldn't promise that :laughing: You know how kids can be.

When I 1st read the word muggle here I was really confused, then I looked it up on the net (google search) and it came up with the Harry Potter reference, then I thought 'how pethetic are these people to steal a word from Harry Potter, or how immature are these people." I still kinda think that, but I'm sure most people on here just use it as a common word to describe someone whos not part of the geocache search.

;)

It's no dadgum secret, it's on the web for everyone to see. Broadcasting to people (geocachers or other) where a cache is when you get to is is bad form and stupid. But why hide what ur doing if you're searching for a cache? Like a 'muggle' is going to comb over a large area to find a tupperware container. I've read logs in caches of non geocachers who have found the cache, and have written that they aren't going to wreck the game for 'us' and have exchanged something. Geocaching is no secret, don't pretend that you're on some stealth mission to recover a lost tupperware container!

Uh, not everyone is on-line. And not everyone might stumble upon geocaching even if they are. (I've tried real hard to recall how I learned about gc & lb, and where it was on or off line). The reason most of us 'hide what we are doing' is that too many people out there won't just join into the game. They will instead take or destroy the cache due to thoughlessness or vandalism. This is why there is a term, muggled, for what happens to such caches. This is why we are careful about what we do. Most of us are quite glad to share what we do from those with a desire to learn and prehaps join in. I (and others) carry geocaching brochures for this reason. But I'm not going to be overt if it means a cache will be lost.