When Is Too Many Too Much?

There is a park near us---actually, right across the street. Just over 100 acres. About 2 thirds is heavily wooded with lots of meandering trails, the front third is picnic and sports fields. It was cacheless until a few months ago when I helped a friend place his first cache there. Now I have THREE caches I would like to place. The first two would be about 400 feet apart as the crows flies, but more like half a mile for cachers, because of land configuration, undergrowth and a creek that would force you to travel only one path. The third cache I want to place is waaay on the other side of the park. None of the three are near my friend's cache, which is near the back boundry. I'm not worried about being disallowed for saturation because by footpath, they are all well set apart---more so than some caches I know of. What I am concerned about is that I am being greedy by filling up the park myself. BUT---the park has been in existence since 1998 without a cache and no one has set a cache in there since the orginal one was placed a few months ago. Is it wrong to claim a park as your own personal caching ground?

he first two would be about 400 feet apart as the crows flies, but more like half a mile for cachers, because of land configuration, undergrowth and a creek that would force you to travel only one path.

That probably won't fly with the reviewers. There needs to be a significant barrier between the caches (e.g. an unfordable river, cliff, or divided superhighway) for them to consider waiving the .1 mile limit. Undergrowth and lack of a direct path probably won't cut it.

What I am concerned about is that I am being greedy by filling up the park myself

Don't even consider that. The park has been there for anybody who wants to place a cache. Nobody has, so who is anyone to tell you you can't place 2, 3 or however many you please (as long as they comply with the guidelines). Besides, I think most people would be overjoyed to have a few more caches to find and aren't really concerned who hid them.

I think you are perfectly within bounds on this. If someone else wanted to place a cache there they would have. I have a large park near me that a year ago had one cache which has been there about two years now. I've placed five caches, all different, in the park and people are happy to seek them out. All the other locals know they are free to place them, that the park isn't mine. This is fairly common around here, someone will "discover" a cache area and place one or a series. Other cachers will then place caches if they want to because the original cache brought them to a great area. Cache ON!

Is it wrong to claim a park as your own personal caching ground?

Heavens no, I did. You may want to find a bigger park though.

I have a favorite SGL (State Game Land - 109) in NW PA. I know the area VERY well and have placed 6 caches there. It is a bit larger than 100 acres so spacing is not an issue.

Funny thing one of my very first finds was at the oldest cache in PA and the only cache in the SGL 109 area so I decided to pepper the area with several caches since I get so much enjoyment out of the area.

A couple of the locals have named the area Boglewood since I have hidden my caches there. I have plans on placing at least one more out there.

I placed a cache in a city park, and about a week later some local cachers put one about .1 mile from it. I like that, the two of them draw more traffic than the one.

But heck, if there space for the caches, put them out, I like going to a nice park and getting several caches out of the trip.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm going to go ahead and get my first two set up and see if they will past muster with the reviewer. The third will be pretty intricate---heeheehee---and require me schlepping thru the woods with a variety of tools and props so a dawn foray will be required. I only hope it will be as fun a find as I envision. I know a cacher who says he lays awake at night plotting caches---I can see how setting them up can be as addictive as seeking them!

Is it wrong to claim a park as your own personal caching ground?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Someone around here placed three caches in a previously-cacheless park last year, and I think it has worked out well for everybody: finders get to spend a good amount of time in a nice, large park walking between all the caches rather than driving from one cache to the next to the next, and the owner can also do his maintenance rounds with one car trip instead of three separate ones. This seems especially beneficial with gas prices continuing to increase.

Just so long as you don't blow a fuse if someone else hides a cache in 'your' park and come onto the forums whining about it, I think you'll be just fine.

Oh, and you might want to spread out your submissions a bit so the reviewers don't think you're 'saturation bombing' the place...