Searching For Caches With Interactive Fiction Backstories

I'm looking for well-done examples of mystery or multi-caches that have a running backstory that the cacher interacts with, i.e. the cacher plays a role in the story itself. I'm working on a series of caches where the cacher is an investigative reporter pursuing a mystery, using a variety of investigative techniques. The waypoints to the caches are different locations where he or she gathers evidence and information for use later in the cache series.

I know others have done similar caches, but where are they?

I've found a few local examples, including the two Mission Impossible caches by Seth!

Mission: Impossible — Flight to Cachistan

Mission: Impossible—Deep Undercover

But I want to find some more, to see what cache hiders have done before. Can anyone help me out?

Team Maccabee

I was going to say Zol zayn mit mazel but I don't know whether the story is fiction.

Ok, being Jewish, that one wierded me out a bit, but that's similar to the style I'm looking for. I am looking for caches designed as puzzles, mysteries or multi-caches that are written in the second-person, where each cacher becomes part of the storyline and may have some control over the storyline. The following series of books illustrates it pretty simply: Choose Your Own Adventure. A more modern version may include some types of Hypertext Fiction. I'm not looking for examples of "Interactive Fiction" aka text adventure games.

The Detective Smith series are all good examples of what I'm looking for, as well as the Bond one. The Tentacles of the Alien is written in the same way, but not quite what I'm looking for. The Murder Mystery Cache or Clue/Cloo-like game is not really what I'm writing or looking for.

Sorry to be so vague earlier, everyone.

Yes, Jeremy, I will make a public bookmark of this and post it later.

Team Maccabee

edited to include comments on caches

Edited by Team Maccabee

I am looking for caches designed as puzzles, mysteries or multi-caches that are written in the second-person, where each cacher becomes part of the storyline and may have some control over the storyline. The following series of books illustrates it pretty simply: Choose Your Own Adventure.

How about this one: Choose Your Own Adventure: Maple Park

There are multiple waypoints, with more than one path to the final; which path you take depends on the choices you make in the interactive story at each waypoint.

Edited by the hermit crabs

I am looking for caches designed as puzzles, mysteries or multi-caches that are written in the second-person, where each cacher becomes part of the storyline and may have some control over the storyline. The following series of books illustrates it pretty simply: Choose Your Own Adventure.

There are multiple waypoints, with more than one path to the final; which path you take depends on the choices you make in the interactive story at each waypoint.

That's exactly what I'm looking for and I'm trying to make one that will be similar in style, although probably more complex. Thanks for the suggestion!

Team Maccabee

I once considered setting a cache where you had to solve a piece of IF have a look at www.wurb.com or www.ifarchive.org for examples.

I got a basic story with puzzles set down but when compared to spider and the web it was pretty rubbish.

They are a lot of fun and make a great alternative to books on your handheld palm or pocket pc.

That's exactly what I'm looking for and I'm trying to make one that will be similar in style, although probably more complex. Thanks for the suggestion!

Team Maccabee

Here's one in the Vancouver BC area that's similar to what you're looking for --

Choose Your Own Cache Adventure. It's a multi that also has 3 loggable dead-ends along the way. I've finished all but two of the locations, which took me most of a day to complete. It was fun, just haven't had a chance to get back and finish it up.

Some of the best in our area are put out by Geowomyn. She's done several series with original story lines where the cacher moves along with the story. Check this one out ... I think it's an example of what you are looking for.

Mayan Silver

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...33-8991fb2d55b7

(This page is the introduction, each cache is linked to the next and tells a chapter of Isabelle de Corazon Teresa's story.)

Edited by KennyHannahJacob

I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for but it was one of the most fun caches that we have come across. You actually download the game (a roleplaying type game) and have to work your way through it to get your coordinates.

The Adventures of 1Geocacher

Usmorrows, two of the best Houston geocachers you'll ever meet, wrote this one. The storyline actually has a couple or three other well known local cachers (no names mentioned but if you know em you will recognize them) in the game too. This one's fun to play even if you don't live in Texas! :D

Edited by Mudfrog

I'm looking for a couple people to beta test my new interactive fiction geocaching puzzle(s).

Basically, the people who will be playing the game (cachers) are trying to find 5 physical caches hidden in various locations around central Ohio. The GPS coordinates are revealed to them by solving the 5 major puzzles in the game. So far, so good, but there is a twist. In order to solve the 5th puzzle in the game, they need to have solved the other 4 puzzles and then found the 4 corresponding physical caches in "real life" Inside each container, they will receive a clue. When they have collected all four clues, they will return to the game where they will be able to solve the 5th puzzle. When they do, they will finally get the coordinates to the 5th cache.

You don't have to live in Ohio to play the game; there is a "game mode" that will allow you to get the clues you need to solve the 5th puzzle.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Dan

I'm looking for well-done examples of mystery or multi-caches that have a running backstory that the cacher interacts with, i.e. the cacher plays a role in the story itself. I'm working on a series of caches where the cacher is an investigative reporter pursuing a mystery, using a variety of investigative techniques. The waypoints to the caches are different locations where he or she gathers evidence and information for use later in the cache series.

I know others have done similar caches, but where are they?

But I want to find some more, to see what cache hiders have done before. Can anyone help me out?

Team Maccabee

My new puzzle series, GeoQuest, has just been published that is entirely interactive fiction.

Here is a link to the first cache in the series:

Zany Squirrel - GeoQuest, Chapter 1

Since you are probably not in central Ohio, you can still play the game. All you have to do is to enter the command "switch mode" to switch into "Game mode."

Sonny and Sandy from podcacher.com talked about it briefly in their show #235

Enjoy!

--Dan