Strange Coincidences

Larks

Don't you find it strange how cachers sometimes think alike or randomly meet each other at strange times?

Like if a cache hasn't been visited for ages and then you end up visiting it on the same day as 2 other teams?

We've all experienced this i'm sure?

Vespa and I have a very strange story to tell......

I went up to the Eastern Cape last week to go hiking and we decided to place a cache on the way back.

So we placed a cache in the middle of Strormsriver Bridge, not sure why nobody has a cache there already?

Anyway, when i got around to submitting it yesterday i got a reply from the publisher asking if it was the same cache as the one submitted by vesapxvespa?

Turns out that Vespa (who lives down the road from us in Cape Town) also took a trip down to PE and also placed a cache in the middle of the same bridge (8m away from mine) on the same day. He then submitted it at the same time that i submitted mine!

How's that for a strange coincidence?

So the publisher sat with a dilemma, placed in the same place, on the same day, submitted at the same time, both of us 500km away from the cache!

It would be 405 feet straight down for you and the cache then if you do Larks! :ph34r::lol: Beware, it is a Storms Death Walk. I am curious to see the logs on this one, since I have yet to see this type of cache container in SA.

Yeah, sorry to have won on this little battle. Very bizarre coincidence indeed. I have had my eye on the spot for months (every time I drive past) but have been waiting for the right cache box to use on it.

With all due respect to the EC guys, there are so many places to place caches out there. It is practically virgin territory! :huh: Everytime I visit PE, I die at the cache placement opportunities. But I have to restrain myself since I only visit every month or so. Lets get some more caches out along the N2 and the Garden Route. Yah, Yah. B)B):ph34r:

Edited by vespaxvespa

Larks, I have been thinking the same thing.

In and around PE, two caches have disappeared (muggles or the like), only to have out of town cachers (VXV among others) place caches in almost the exact same spots.

I refer to Sacramento, which was replace with Wine, Bread and Fish and Cape Receive, which was replaced by Receive Vista. Cachers, it would seem, think alike.

On the note of the Stormsriver, I managed to find your cache hidden on the bridge, while looking for VXVs. I posted a note in the logbook, which you can tear out once you place it in its new position. I just found it strange to find a cache, and then realising it is not the one that I was looking for!?! :P

My search was cut short by muggles, who desended en masse on the bridge shortly after I found your cache, so "Death Walk" is still hiding away somewhere - maybe on the other side of the road?

VXV are you saying that there is no more good hiding places in the Cape??? We (EC guys) are getting the hides up - thanks also off course to out-of-towners.

Oh no, I am not saying that there aren't anymore hiding spots in the WC. I am just thinking that the number of cachers in an area is proportional to the number of caches. So by placing some caches, I am helping with the increase in EC cachers. perhaps?

I have a list of hiding spots all around my house, but do people really want to cache that much in Wynberg?

I think my cache is easy (Storms Death Walk). You can see part of it standing in front of it. And unless you have slippery hands, it should not fall into the river very far below (hint, hint). :P

Personally I think VXV is an awesome cache hider (not sure of the correct terminology here!!?) I was thinking of putting one at Map-of-Africa, and he got there first!! Great minds think alike :anicute: or in my case "you snooze, you loose!!"

Hmm, I'd better not let out the next spot I have in mind...

Personally I think VXV is an awesome cache hider (not sure of the correct terminology here!!?) I was thinking of putting one at Map-of-Africa, and he got there first!! Great minds think alike :anibad: or in my case "you snooze, you loose!!"

Hmm, I'd better not let out the next spot I have in mind...

Ah, thanks for that. Not sure if I really live up to that though. I stopped in George the other day, and really don't know much about that town (other than the Garden Route Mall is incredibly fancy). :laughing: I would look forward to a couple of caches in that area to divide my drive to PE up and teach me a bit about the town. What do you say?

About the only thing I know about George is that tracks4africa is based there and Will Smith did a Mandela concert there a few years ago. Surely there is more to know......

BTW, I haven't noticed your log at Old Canal View yet!! :D

That's because I have not found it yet! :D I will though, just wait for me having to visit the in-laws again.

.....and convincing the nongeocacher that we need to cache for an hour or so in the middle of our drive to PE. :D Always a touchy subject in the car.

B&F - Thanks for the link.

Edited by vespaxvespa