Please Take A Whistle!

bottlecap

I have had a whistle in my pack, (back to boy scouting), since I have started caching, (my over the top 18 finds). Today it came in handy.

I was following a trail out from a DNF, and heard shooting. It was obvious that it wasn't a hunter, but someone target shooting, by the ammount of rounds fired.

I had a little idea where I was in the way of which way the rounds were being fired, but can you ever be sure?

As I was walking, I would blow on the whistle.

When I got reasonably close the shooting stopped, and didn't start again until I was face to face with the shooters, and they let me blast off a magazine. BTW, they were being totally safe with thier shooting, they stopped to give me peace of mind.

MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN WHEN IN THE WOODS!

A whistle takes very little room.

Edited by bottlecap

Good advice, it also applies to any parents out there who take the kiddos along. I bought a pair of good whistles for mine, they love wearing them and they love using them once we're out even more. I've given them the speech... blow three times short, three times long, three times short in case we get seperated. I don't think we need to worry about stumbling onto a hunter though, I suspect they hear us coming a mile away. :ph34r:

A whistle can save your life if you break a leg or fall off a cliff. You can only shout for help for a limited time and your voice will only carry a short distance. You can blow a whistle intermittently for a very long time and the sound carries very well and won't be mistaken for a natural sound.

Good advice, it also applies to any parents out there who take the kiddos along. I bought a pair of good whistles for mine, they love wearing them and they love using them once we're out even more. I've given them the speech... blow three times short, three times long, three times short in case we get seperated. I don't think we need to worry about stumbling onto a hunter though, I suspect they hear us coming a mile away. :D

I do hope, for your sanity's sake, that the whistles are taken away when you're home! :D

Great advice on carrying whistles; I'd never thought of that before.

Actually signals like horns, whistles and gun shots are a matter of choice for drawing attention...

As long as you can breathe whistles work for short distances, air horns in wilderness areas draw attention for a lot longer distance and every knows there are no semis in a wilderness, 3 gunshots for hunters seems to be a, help me, or find me.

I would say different areas calls for different means of "noise for help" devices....

Dave from Team_Talisman

Actually signals like horns, whistles and gun shots are a matter of choice for drawing attention...

As long as you can breathe whistles work for short distances, air horns in wilderness areas draw attention for a lot longer distance and every knows there are no semis in a wilderness, 3 gunshots for hunters seems to be a, help me, or find me.

I would say different areas calls for different means of "noise for help" devices....

Dave from Team_Talisman

Actullay you'd be very surprised how many people do not know that three gun shots is signal for help, unless they hunt. The Fox 40 and Storm whisltes can be heard from 1 mile away, hardly a short distance and I can blow my whistle long after you have run out of ammo.