Sanctioned Geocaching In Custer State Park, Sd

team5150

Custer State Park, in the Black Hills of SD, is having an official geocache contest this summer. I read about it the night AFTER we had driven through the park on our way to cache sites. :lol: It is in the park newsletter "Tatanka"....very cool to have such a pristine area encouraging our activity, uh, sport....ok addiction (there I said it)....check it out. pretty cool....

Custer State Park, in the Black Hills of SD, is having an official geocache contest this summer. I read about it the night AFTER we had driven through the park on our way to cache sites. :ph34r: It is in the park newsletter "Tatanka"....very cool to have such a pristine area encouraging our activity, uh, sport....ok addiction (there I said it)....check it out. pretty cool....

Sounds great, hope I can make it back to "The Hills" this summer.

Custer State Park, in the Black Hills of SD, is having an official geocache contest this summer. I read about it the night AFTER we had driven through the park on our way to cache sites. :ph34r: It is in the park newsletter "Tatanka"....very cool to have such a pristine area encouraging our activity, uh, sport....ok addiction (there I said it)....check it out. pretty cool....

On April 2nd a Spearfish, SD geocacher after visiting the Norbeck center, had the following to say.

"The brochure for the Geocaching Adventure is not yet available. The volunteer had no information on when it would be available – I wasn’t even the first to stop by today."

Check message forty (40) on the following Yahoo group. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sioux_falls_geocaching/messages>

Perhaps something has been published in the last 10 days.

Ed

I had seen that. The plan is, I believe, that there are 8 caches you can find while there and mail the passbook (Stamps or punches in the cache??) back to them for entry into drawing. We are swinging throu and camping in Custer in June. Hope the flyer is done by then...

I had seen that. The plan is, I believe, that there are 8 caches you can find while there and mail the passbook (Stamps or punches in the cache??) back to them for entry into drawing. We are swinging throu and camping in Custer in June. Hope the flyer is done by then...

Who is placing or placed these caches?

What user name are they under?

Who is placing or placed these caches?

What user name are they under?

Placed by some geocaching friendly park employee.

I don't believe they are "official" gc.com listed caches. No smilies here for them. But sounds like fun!!

I just called the Peter Norbeck Center and the "geocaching" information is not yet available. He said they are about a month behind and expect it to be available in two weeks. Apparently the Needles Highway has been closed for snow or construction and it just opened yesterday or today. There are a couple sites on the Needles Highway and they wanted to check the coordinated before publishing the information.\

I don’t think this is a geocache that is on the site, rather something fun they are doing for visitors to the park. Maybe we could get them to post it – or allow someone to do it. Make the Peter Norbeck Center the first coordinates. I think it would get a lot more coverage that way when people are looking for caches online.

Phone numbers of interest: Park Headquarters - (605) 255-4515 andPeter Norbeck Visitor Center - (605) 255-4464.

JohnAengus

;)

Just finished making a Mother's day trip through the park on the 14th of May. They now have the caches available on a single printed piece of paper available at the Peter Norbeck Visitors Center.

When driving into the Park and getting a pass, the attendants there were no help and unaware, so make sure to go to the center.

They are all "virtual caches" with a question to be answered for each location. I don't know if this is something that should be posted or just let visitors get the info themselves. For now I will let someone else decide. They do mention finding all of them and being entered in for a prize if you return the sheet with all the correct answers.

Just finished making a Mother's day trip through the park on the 14th of May. They now have the caches available on a single printed piece of paper available at the Peter Norbeck Visitors Center.

When driving into the Park and getting a pass, the attendants there were no help and unaware, so make sure to go to the center.

They are all "virtual caches" with a question to be answered for each location. I don't know if this is something that should be posted or just let visitors get the info themselves. For now I will let someone else decide. They do mention finding all of them and being entered in for a prize if you return the sheet with all the correct answers.

Care to share the list? save us a trip to the visitor center........

We finally got the list this weekend, its available at the Norbeck visitor center. It consists of 8 locations throughout the park with one question that you have to answer about each location, if you answer all of the questions correctly by November 1st, in December your name will be entered into a drawing for a prize (no mention of what the prize might be). It seems like it won't be a difficult challenge, more of an intro to the park. I would be happy to post the coords, but the answers MUST (according to the volunteer/ranger) be submitted on the "official" form, which is a simple 'xeroxed' document. I would be happy to fax or email it to anyone who thinks that they might be interested. The V/R didn't seem to think that this would be a problem, since they seem to prescribe to 'the more the merrier' philosophy. :laughing: If interested, email me at Team5150@bresnan.net...