Magellan Sportrak Pro $63 New-good Deal?

I live near an outlet store for a major electronics retailer. They have the SporTrak Pro for $63. I already have a Garmin etrex legend. I wonder is this a good price? I know they are older units, but I am looking for something to put on my wifes bicycle when we are biking. I have the Garmin mounted to mine and I think she feels left out. We could also use it as a second GPSr for geocaching so either my daughter or my wife can use the 2nd unit. I searched and all the post about pricing were old. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying an obsolete unit.

I already have a Magellan Roadmate 300 for the car so I don't need any features for that.

Any input would be appreciated.

BTW-These units are brand new, not refurbished or remanufactured. They just bought too many and had them way too long.

I live near an outlet store for a major electronics retailer. They have the SporTrak Pro for $63.

I'd buy two. In a heartbeat.

The Sportrak series are good GPS units. I think Magellan took a step backwards with the Explorist series. My only complaint about the Sportrak is that the screw that opens the battery compartment will eventually strip. But aside from that, it is a wonderful unit. Much better than an eTrex.

sportraks are very prone to case cracking at the edges near the screws that hold the 2 case halves. These cracks are sometimes present right out of the box. I've had 2 sportraks and the first one developed these cracks and the second brand new one out of the box had cracks too. refer to this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62683

Edited by D0T-C0M

At 63 bucks it can't be beat.

The main issue I think you will have with it is how it handles waypoints. If you load a truckoad up all at once they will clutter the screen. An etrex with it's higher resolution screen can handle them. The ST Pro can't display them as cleanly.

The secondary issue is that the trackog for use on a bike to show where you have been won't be as accurate as the eTrex.

For 63 bucks though it will be accurate enough.

The secondary issue is that the trackog for use on a bike to show where you have been won't be as accurate as the eTrex.

That is just plain not true. While it is true you are limited to 2000 trackpoints, the frequency with which they are taken is completely configurable. And, unlike the eTrex tracks that you store, these tracks include the elevation.

Do they have an online store?
No... only have a few outlet stores around the country.
Come on, tell us who it is. We who might live near those few stores around the country might like to get one :ph34r:

Anyhow, at the risk of bringing this back on topic - is $63 a good price for a new-in-box SporTrak Pro? Here's what you'll find on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/sportrak-pro

Yeah, I'd say $63 is a good price.

Edited by lee_rimar

That is just plain not true. While it is true you are limited to 2000 trackpoints, the frequency with which they are taken is completely configurable. And, unlike the eTrex tracks that you store, these tracks include the elevation.

This isn't the only site to make a comparison. My best guess is the same averaging that causes the boomerang effect (and less wandering around under tree cover) messes up the accuracy of your track log. I could be wrong about why, but too many people and to many sources have had issues with magellan track logs. Most of my info is before the Explorist line so maybe they fixed it.

http://www.topofusion.com/gpscompare.php

$63 for a unit that has 24MB of map memory for with detail maps, a respectable basemap, great reception, an included (serial) cable, and can be upgraded to turn-by turn driving directions? That's totally a deal in my book.

The units aren't without frustrations (see the faqs below and the numerous threads about Magellan's dwindling customer support) but I'd have to think twice about buying anything I can think of at 3x this price over one of these for an entry level unit.

In fact, I just went to tigergps.com and sorted handhelds by price. Knowing what I know about all the models, I did indeed have to get into the $200+ range before I started hesitating at the "would I take X over Y" choices.

"All GPSes suck; they just suck in different ways" Lipe's Law of GPS.

These cracks are in most cases totally cosmetic and not an issue. Mostly compulsive gearheads got all het up about this and sent them in for fixing. The cracks are "No Big Deal" if you even see any. Most Sportraks I've seen (8 out of 9) had no cracks.

sportraks are very prone to case cracking at the edges near the screws that hold the 2 case halves. These cracks are sometimes present right out of the box. I've had 2 sportraks and the first one developed these cracks and the second brand new one out of the box had cracks too. refer to this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62683

I have a Sportrak Pro and also have a 60C and the Magellan under tree cover keeps a signal better than the 60C. I have been lucky and not experienced cracks or stripped battery compartment screw and have had the unit for around 2 years. I would say $63 is a good deal and buy it.

This isn't the only site to make a comparison. My best guess is the same averaging that causes the boomerang effect (and less wandering around under tree cover) messes up the accuracy of your track log. I could be wrong about why, but too many people and to many sources have had issues with magellan track logs. Most of my info is before the Explorist line so maybe they fixed it.

wow...I dont think that is an accurate comparison...he said the Magellan was set to Auto- Detailed...I'm not so sure this setting will get you as "detailed" as manually setting the unit to taking a track point every 52ft...

wow...I dont think that is an accurate comparison...he said the Magellan was set to Auto- Detailed...I'm not so sure this setting will get you as "detailed" as manually setting the unit to taking a track point every 52ft...

That's possibe, if you can set the Magellan to do that. The cool thing about a study where they tell you the settings is that at least you know what they did and if it was to the best effect of the GPS.

Still, the Tracklog issue has been discussed in these forums and on other websites by people who know more than I do. I don't use tracklogs all that much.