Is The Unlock Code Married To Gps In Dr V3.0?

D0T-C0M

I was interested in purchasing a DR v3.0 dvd (used) but wanted to know if the unlock code is married to the GPS serial number or can you use the unlock code on another GPS.

In other words, When you purchase the unlock code do you have to give magellan the serial number of your GPS? what if you sell it and want to use it on another GPS or you get another GPS on warranty?

Edited by D0T-C0M

I don't think there is a clear answer on this. One would think that they have a provision for providing another unlock code (e.g., if you send in a unit for repair and they send you a replacement). However, I don't think the situation you describe has been explicitly addressed, and at the minimum I think you would have to call up, hold the requisite wait time, and plead your case.

I think they've gone too far with the current setup; I won't buy any more MapSend products.

embra you are quite correct. I mean this would be ridiculous that you would purchase an unlock code and be forced to use it only with a single GPS. If I paid for software and at a later date sold it or upgraded to a new GPS or want to sell the software in question, this is simply just wrong in so many ways.

My next GPS is garmin for sure but right now I'm trying to stretch my e600's life for a little while now that I have so much invested in it.

But I am sure that some people here have purchased the unlock codes for direct route v3.0 that can answer this simple question. Is the unlock code married to the GPS serial number?

Edited by D0T-C0M

I don't think there is a clear answer on this. One would think that they have a provision for providing another unlock code (e.g., if you send in a unit for repair and they send you a replacement). However, I don't think the situation you describe has been explicitly addressed, and at the minimum I think you would have to call up, hold the requisite wait time, and plead your case.

I think they've gone too far with the current setup; I won't buy any more MapSend products.

When you unlock DR V.3, information is written to the Magellan registry. My belief is that the information placed in this file is accessed when you launch the program. (Similar to the patch for no cd in Topo 3D, etc.) This line of code is identified by the GPSr serial number you entered during the unlock process. Although I'm not sure, it seems logical to me that replacing the serial number with a different one would work. Of course you would also need the code. I have that. This is assuming you are using Win XP.

Edit: This is assuming that the unlock code is not unique for each unlock sequence. Please skip the a**-U-ME reference

Edited by centme37

When you unlock DR V.3, information is written to the Magellan registry.

Well I just got my Explorist XL back from repair and they sent me a new unit. I had to change the serial numbers for Topo 3D and DR. I did not understand the process at first, so I just tried entering the serial number by hand when I went to generate a new map. It told me that the new serial number was not correct one and that I needed to load the Manager software to edit my profile. So I loaded the manager and had to change the serial number for each program. The manager went to the internet to login to my Magellan account (it asked for account name and password) and updated the serial numbers. While I am sure it keeps a copy of the current serial number in use in a local key, I think it uses the internet to verify that it is the valid serial number to use. So editing the registry may not have any help.

Dan